McPherson out for the season

hhcmatt

Any chance of McPherson becoming a contributor at PG will have to wait another year

Per UNL

Nebraska men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg confirmed Monday that redshirt freshman guard Quaran McPherson (Queens, N.Y.) recently suffered a season-ending knee injury.  McPherson suffered the injury in training prior to returning to Lincoln for the start of the fall semester. An MRI by Nebraska’s medical staff upon his return revealed the extent of the injury to McPherson’s left knee.  He will undergo surgery in the coming weeks and will start his rehab.

According to men’s basketball athletic trainer R.J. Pietig, McPherson’s recovery is expected to be between six and eight months following surgery. McPherson is expected to make a full recovery in time for the start of the 2023-24 season. 

“It is disappointing to see Quaran’s redshirt freshman year end this early,” Hoiberg said. “He had a very good summer and worked hard to put himself in position for playing time. Quaran came back from a similar injury back in high school to play at a high level, so he understands the rehab process ahead. Knowing the type of competitor he is, I think Quaran will do everything he can to get back healthy.” 

McPherson, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound guard, redshirted last season. At Link Year (Mo.) Prep in 2020-21, McPherson averaged 19 points, four assists and four rebounds per game helping the school to a 26-4 record and a runner-up finish at the 2021 Post Grad Nationals.  

PG depth is now woefully thin.  I know some think Lloyd can play some PG, but I just don't see it, especially not as a freshman.  Who is next in line?

Have to wonder if Keisei will get some run at PG.  If not him, we may be looking at Sam Hoiberg or Cale Jacobsen getting some meaningful playing time this season. 

26 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Yeah it's a position-less system, where the same guys run the same lanes and do the same things with the play started by the same guy.

(I hate the term position-less basketball)

I simply hate the entire concept.  (I believe I have used the term "shit-ball" from time to time on here to describe it)  Alas, that is what the game is evolving to.