USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Adding Stanford, Cal, WSU, and OSU to this bunch of misfits and losers does not a P5 conference make:

Charlotte, East Carolina, FAU, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, Rice, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, and UTSA are the 14 football teams in the AAC in 2023. 

Solid mid-major basketball league though.

3 hours ago, HuscurAdam said:

Adding Stanford, Cal, WSU, and OSU to this bunch of misfits and losers does not a P5 conference make:

Charlotte, East Carolina, FAU, Memphis, Navy, North Texas, Rice, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, UAB, and UTSA are the 14 football teams in the AAC in 2023. 

Solid mid-major basketball league though.

I cannot see Cal and Stanford joining this group as they have nothing in common.  Rice and Navy are the only Academic peers.

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

I cannot see Cal and Stanford joining this group as they have nothing in common.  Rice and Navy are the only Academic peers.

While traditionally I would agree with this, but times have changed. It ain't about academics anymore. The problem for Cal and Stanford is there are no schools left that those two would consider as equals. Maybe they try to go as independents, but they still need teams to play for all their other sports. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question is.... where do you think those 3 programs' destination will be? It's either SEC or B1G, presumably.

My guess is 2 to the SEC & then 1 to the B1G with a certain independent that might be persuaded to move ALL its programs (beyond hockey) to the Big Ten to create a Big20, a bloated two-sided Big10 with a true nationwide following. The only league that could legitimately claim a national product with N.D. aboard. Who knows, it's all a cash grab at this point. Poor Wazzu & the Beavs might be the Pac2 and keep all the "Pac-ssets" in 2024! I hope those 2 pull it off, it would serve all the others right to get screwed out of the assets they left behind to leave WSU & OSU at the altar with no partner.

Edited by AuroranHusker

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

My guess is 2 to the SEC & then 1 to the B1G with a certain independent that might be persuaded to move ALL its programs (beyond hockey) to the Big Ten to create a Big20, a bloated two-sided Big10 with a true nationwide following. 

The bloated Big Ten then could make all the traditionalists happy by creating two divisions: one consisting of the pre-1990 schools and one consisting of the newcomers (PSU, Rutgers, Maryland and UNC in the east; Nebraska and ND in the Midwest; and USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington in the west).

In basketball and other Olympic sports, play a round-robin in your division with a couple of crossover games. Top 4-6 in each division qualify for post-season conference tournament.

Further, with such a national schedule, Nebraska in all sports could reduce travel by scheduling almost all of its non-conference contests with schools within driving or short flying distance: UNO, Creighton, ISU, UNI, Kansas, KSU, Wichita, Colorado, CSU, Air Force, UMKC, Mizzou, Drake, SDSU, USD, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Tulsa to name several.

Edited by jayschool

• 1 month later...

I'd guess we settle on 16 teams in the conf tourney. Top four seeds play bottom 4 seeds on Wednesday and then get a day off. Seeds 5-12 play each other on Thursday, then it stays like it is now from there. Seeds 17 and 18 are out of luck, or they may do play-in games on Tuesday for seeds 15-18. That will work itself out pretty quickly, I'd guess.

However, it's odd to talk about expanding the conference schedule. With an 18-team league, 18 conference games is ideal. 16 single plays and one double play rival. Easy balance. (I know, TV won't like it going from 20 conf games to 18, so it'll never go backward.)

But 21 or 22 conference games? Yikes. If we go to 22 conference games, that puts an end to most teams playing in-season tourneys and may even put an end to home and home series like K-State or even neutral site games like Oregon St. 

With 22 conf games, that's only 11 home games, so you'd need 6-8 home games in the non-con for the budget. You'd have to play an MTE almost every year to pull that off (and to play 31 total games instead of 29). Try to throw a 3-game neutral site tourney in there, and you could only play 17 home games max. 

I don't think it would end series like NU-bleubirds, Wis-Marq, or Iowa-ISU, but they might not get played every year, depending on what else you want to do with the non-con and how many home games your athletic director says you have to have.

Although one way to not have bad non-con losses is to quit playing non-con games, I guess, so maybe we just play 31 conference games.

Edited by throwback

Or hear me out...

All 18 teams play in the tournament.

2 games going on at the exact same time.

Except instead of the courts parallel to each other, they're intersecting into one another like a giant "+" sign.

Imagine the turnovers and chaos that would occur.

With this system, all 18 teams get to play. Completed in half the time. And any basket scored in the other game's court would be point reductions for that other team. Win-win-win.