Karrington Davis is N

On 3/10/2018 at 11:54 PM, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Said that the Penn state game and PBA atmosphere sealed it. Also good relationships with Hunter and Miles. Love this addition!!

Kenya Hunter brings so much value to our staff regarding player relationships.  I have heard a lot about how he is the coach that is close to all the guys, can build them back up after being torn down etc., etc.  a real "players coach"

I'm honestly surprised how long we have kept him here considering all the other staff turnover for better or for worse

55 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Miles would have been fired by now without Kenya Hunter.  He is the only reason Tim is still employed here with his recruiting efforts.

I'd say the change of our offense this year shows the adaptability of Tim Miles. With the amount we pay assistants how do you know we couldn't find another guy who can recruit just as well as Hunter? 

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

Miles would have been fired by now without Kenya Hunter.  He is the only reason Tim is still employed here with his recruiting efforts.

That are a lot of head coaches that would fail without their assistants.  Some are more reliant on assistants than others, but generally, the effort that assistants put forward are largely undervalued.  We have three good assistants, but there are a tremendous number of assistants out there that qualify as good to great.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

That are a lot of head coaches that would fail without their assistants.  Some are more reliant on assistants than others, but generally, the effort that assistants put forward are largely undervalued.  We have three good assistants, but there are a tremendous number of assistants out there that qualify as good to great.

Yup. Cohesiveness on the coaching staff can be as important as it is with the players.  

This kid is a great pickup.  Excellent offensive game--good shooter, good handles, great finisher at the rim.  Explosive athlete at 6'6".  He gives us a great option at the 2 or 3.  Assuming we have James back, Karrington will be the perfect understudy. 

A back court of Xavier, Thomas, and Karrington = one hell of a bright future.  Wow.  

Edited by LK1

11 minutes ago, LK1 said:

This kid is a great pickup.  Excellent offensive game--good shooter, good handles, great finisher at the rim.  Explosive athlete at 6'6".  He gives us a great option at the 2 or 3.  Assuming we have James back, Karrington will be the perfect understudy. 

A front court of Xavier, Thomas, and Karrington = one hell of a bright future.  Wow.  

It would even be a better back court.  But don't forget about Thor and Nana.  Both fit into the back court picture...along with James, who of course is staying one more year.

On 3/11/2018 at 8:40 AM, bball23 said:

What I like is that his team in Florida had like 8 D1 players and 4 of them were top 100 kids.  So he had to bring it everyday in practice.  And facing good competition every day can only help with the speed/athleticism he will see at the D1 level.  

Maybe he can be our next James Palmer! 

really stoked about this incoming class, and this kid. Imagine if palmer stays too; we'd have double palmer! Palmer can mentor palmer jr jr! :lol:

Excited about next year's team; despite all the disrespect we weathered here at the end. this was a great season and something to build on. But if we can't do around the same (20+ wins and bubble team), it'll kill the momentum we need to build to start to garner respect and build the program for real. Gotta take the next step. 

13 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

I'd say the change of our offense this year shows the adaptability of Tim Miles. With the amount we pay assistants how do you know we couldn't find another guy who can recruit just as well as Hunter? 

Not to mention the incredible COY-level jump he orchestrated in improving our 3 pt D. 

I'll never understand the Miles haters. No matter what he does they'll hate. I can understand some criticism, but it's wild, man. 

16 hours ago, HolyBobpilgrimage said:

Not to mention the incredible COY-level jump he orchestrated in improving our 3 pt D. 

I'll never understand the Miles haters. No matter what he does they'll hate. I can understand some criticism, but it's wild, man. 

Most people don't hate Miles.  They hate the fact that he has ZERO post season wins, two winning seasons and a .500 record in 6 seasons at Nebraska. 

5 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Most people don't hate Miles.  They hate the fact that he has ZERO post season wins, two winning seasons and a .500 record in 6 seasons at Nebraska. 

Sure, sure man. I get it. 

But I'm not hearing any of it. Even as mediocre and ugly as it's been so far, it's better than any nebrasketball I've ever experienced in my time

Can someone provide more information on this kid? 

I've watched the video in this thread, and I've googled what I can.  I don't find much on him at all, and it sounds like he has been a career back up player. 

According to MaxPreps he is the 4th best SF on his team behind RJ Barrett, Kevin Zhang and Jordan Mitchell.  I understand that his team was full of D1 players, but he didn't get many meaningful minutes while at Montverde Academy.  Just because you practicing against players like RJ Barrett doesn't mean you are in the same league as him. 

Example: Just cause McVeigh was practicing against Roby doesn't put him in the same category.

I'm not here posting this to bash him, because I don't have much to go on.  I just don't see a lot of information on him on the Web, and I am assuming most of you (like me) haven't watched any of his games live.  So where is all this optimism in this player coming from? 

From the video in this thread... He looks good, and has a good looking jump shot.  Damn near perfect form!  Definitely doesn't have a great vertical from what I can see, I would guess somewhere around 30-32".  Is that terrible?  No, it's not terrible, but it's definitely not elite.  So IMO we will not be seeing much driving from him at the college level, which means he will need an amazing jump shot to get meaningful minutes. 

I am not a "Star" guy when it comes to recruiting.  So don't think I am basing my criticism on that.   I just don't know where all the "Wow what a great get" comments are coming from.  Hence why I would like someone to post more info on the kid.  I got a great vibe when we landed Roby, and he was a Sophomore at the time.  He was not ranked by the sites yet, but he had so much potential and now look at him!  I also have a good feeling about Nana A., I honestly feel he is going to get a lot more minutes next year even if Palmer stays.

4 minutes ago, big red22 said:

I've watched the video in this thread, and I've googled what I can.  I don't find much on him at all, and it sounds like he has been a career back up player. 

According to MaxPreps he is the 4th best SF on his team behind RJ Barrett, Kevin Zhang and Jordan Mitchell.  I understand that his team was full of D1 players, but he didn't get many meaningful minutes while at Montverde Academy.  Just because you practicing against players like RJ Barrett doesn't mean you are in the same league as him. 

Example: Just cause McVeigh was practicing against Roby doesn't put him in the same category.

I'm not here posting this to bash him, because I don't have much to go on.  I just don't see a lot of information on him on the Web, and I am assuming most of you (like me) haven't watched any of his games live.  So where is all this optimism in this player coming from? 

From the video in this thread... He looks good, and has a good looking jump shot.  Damn near perfect form!  Definitely doesn't have a great vertical from what I can see, I would guess somewhere around 30-32".  Is that terrible?  No, it's not terrible, but it's definitely not elite.  So IMO we will not be seeing much driving from him at the college level, which means he will need an amazing jump shot to get meaningful minutes. 

I am not a "Star" guy when it comes to recruiting.  So don't think I am basing my criticism on that.   I just don't know where all the "Wow what a great get" comments are coming from.  Hence why I would like someone to post more info on the kid.  I got a great vibe when we landed Roby, and he was a Sophomore at the time.  He was not ranked by the sites yet, but he had so much potential and now look at him!  I also have a good feeling about Nana A., I honestly feel he is going to get a lot more minutes next year even if Palmer stays.

At Chaminade Prep in St. Louis, [Karrington] Davis was part of a large-school Missouri state title team in 2016 and a state semifinalist in 2017, averaging 20 points a game.

This season, he transferred to Florida prep powerhouse Montverde Academy, ranked No. 1 nationally. A hip injury suffered last spring — a torn labrum and bone impingement — was surgically repaired in July but put Davis behind his many talented teammates.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/nebraska-basketball-lands-commit-from-three-star-shooting-guard-karrington/article_501b4cce-1629-5bff-8da9-0b0a749f4d0e.html

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

I know nothing about him. His video highlights remind me of Shavon Shields though. Except he has a better shot, but is less explosive. Considering this team sorely lacks 3-point shooters, I'll take whatever we can get. Purdue was showing interest, and we know how much they love the 3 ball.

• 2 weeks later...