2018 SG Karrington Davis - LOI

Huskerpapa

On 2/22/2018 at 8:55 PM, HuskerCager said:

I wonder what others here think are the chances Nana Akenton can make a leap into the rotation next year?

So what we know is that the Huskers lose 50 minutes a game at the gaurd spot (Anton and Evan Taylor).

I would assume Allen gets an increase of 10-15 min per game. Which leaves 35-40 min a game for Nana, Thor, X, and whoever else we might sign battle over.

On 2/22/2018 at 8:55 PM, HuskerCager said:

I wonder what others here think are the chances Nana Akenton can make a leap into the rotation next year?

I have been told that Nana's development has not been what the coaches hoped. Doesn't mean he won't make it and contribute at some point but it seems to be a question mark for the staff too.

I think nana knows the talent and depth we have, after several games when the arena clears out I’ve watched him shoot for about 30-40 min after, I think he stays and battles for PT next year, maybe such a thing as he didn’t want to redshirt, and they don’t want to risk injury w/garbage time, we have to replace Gill/Taylor min, and possibly Palmer, so Johnson/Nana/Allen are primed for those min. 

Nana's future seems to be in the 3 and D realm if he can work out the D part.  I have hopes for him to be a contributor as he seems to be a great team player and is very well liked.  Plus he can light it up from the arc.  Those guys typically find a way onto the court eventually.  

I think he's athletic enough to adjust to game speed after a summer of weights.  

Thor is a bit of a wildcard, but definitely has guard skills (ball handling, passing, decent enough shooting).  

Xavier is going to contribute immediately.  I have absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.  

It'll be interesting to see how T. Allen grows in his role.  I don't see him as a PG next year with X in the lineup.  I think he'll slide right into Gill's spot and live beyond the arc... where he will destroy.  

Watson/Johnson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland/McVeigh/ (possibility of Heiman if he gains 15lbs--good mobility, skill, elite shotblocker)

Roby/Tshimanga

I think that's your 8-man.  

Unknowns:  Heiman, Nana, Thor

Edited by LK1

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Nana's future seems to be in the 3 and D realm if he can work out the D part.  I have hopes for him to be a contributor as he seems to be a great team player and is very well liked.  Plus he can light it up from the arc.  Those guys typically find a way onto the court eventually.  

I think he's athletic enough to adjust to game speed after a summer of weights.  

Thor is a bit of a wildcard, but definitely has guard skills (ball handling, passing, decent enough shooting).  

Xavier is going to contribute immediately.  I have absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.  

It'll be interesting to see how T. Allen grows in his role.  I don't see him as a PG next year with X in the lineup.  I think he'll slide right into Gill's spot and live beyond the arc... where he will destroy.  

Watson/Johnson

Allen

Palmer

Copeland/McVeigh/ (possibility of Heiman if he gains 15lbs--good mobility, skill, elite shotblocker)

Roby/Tshimanga

I think that's your 8-man.  

Unknowns:  Heiman, Nana, Thor

Heiman will not be playing next year because he physically will not be ready. He would not be an elite shot blocker but a liability in every category. He has a huge amount of work to do to be able to be a bit player in the B1G. 

13 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Heiman will not be playing next year because he physically will not be ready. He would not be an elite shot blocker but a liability in every category. He has a huge amount of work to do to be able to be a bit player in the B1G. 

I am not disagreeing Dean, but there are some surprises every year.  The Esperson kid at Creighton was someone who I didn't think would contribute, but the kid has developed pretty well this year.  I would really think Heiman will redshirt next year. 

18 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

I am not disagreeing Dean, but there are some surprises every year.  The Esperson kid at Creighton was someone who I didn't think would contribute, but the kid has developed pretty well this year.  I would really think Heiman will redshirt next year. 

In honesty I’m probably biased from the time I watched him play as a sophomore when he couldn’t catch the ball and struggled with layups. I only saw him play York this year and he was an elite shot blocker in class B, but I saw too many kids 6-7 inches shorter take him out of the post. Descent facing the basket but no real post moves. I hope he gets there but can’t imagine him being physically ready by next season. 

1 minute ago, huskercwg said:

Any word on his visit?

Haven't heard any?  But I bet I can guess some of the things:

-Was really impressed with the facilities and crowd support

-Had a great conversation with the coaches and the team

-Definitely got a great impression of Nebraska

But I'm just guessing here...he might have really hated the whole thing.  But probably not.

4 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I heard Robin on one of the local radio shows.  He indicated that everything he heard was that it was a good visit.  He was attempting to make time to call the recruit and seek information first hand, but hadn't done so yet. 

I've asked the 24/7 guys if they know anything, no word back.

Just was told an update is coming soon.

Edited by colhusker