Maryland, OSU, and 2016 recruiting...

whoopdeedoo

i understand recruiting services aren't perfect, but, it does appear Maryland and OSU chances of remaining atop the Big Ten for the near future look pretty darn good. i believe OSU is fairly young on the court now? MSU's appears to bring in a pretty decent class. i know it is difficult to say how they will all pan out, but...

taken from Hoopgurlz top 100 for 2016:

Maryland:                                          Indiana:

#7    grade 98                                  #66 grade 95

#17 grade 98

#25 grade 97                                    Illinois

#28 grade 97                                   #79 grade 94

#51 grade 96

Nebraska

OSU:                                               #80 grade 94 (Cayton)

#10 grade 98

#22 grade 97

#31 grade 97

MSU:

#37 grade 97

#71 grade 95

#73 grade 94

Northwestern:

#68 grade 95

#76 grade 94

Michigan:

#70 grade 95

#93 grade 93

Iowa:

#82 grade 94

#90  grade 93

A subject not frankly discussed on this board much.....almost the recruiting elephant in the room. 

Like it or not.... (and I'm concerned)...our new recruiting may not be strong enough to keep us up to the upper half level of B1G, and Top 25 ranking ....consistently.  

Yes, we got  very good recruits like 2014, 2015, but unfortunately not every year. And then two (Maddie & Burns) get hurt. This new of 2016 class has yet even show up on campus. Looks real good on paper...but who knows. PG, G and W's we need desperately. 

Shimmy's departure didn't leave us in the same place we were heading. .....She could recruit top talent.  Sure looked like some prospects went elsewhere after she left. Was she the only recruiter we had?

And as has been discussed a lot.....we recently lost some good talent to transfers.  We're not deep enough, for it to not have an effect. Our current shortage of guards/wings makes it apparent. 

This can even go up to the UNL's AD level, and how much emphasis UNL want's to put on women's BBall.  Do they want more from the sport?.... or are they content to have a mid pack team, that can get to the NCAA's ...some years. 

Don't know what you other guys think...really is a matter of your, and the schools expectations I guess.  Glad it's just me talking, and thankfully don't have the responsibility to actually recruit  :(

And definitely not unhappy with the girls playing now. They work hard...just want them to get even more help they deserve. Maybe next year will be a completely different story, and all this diatribe is wasted effort.

I have been thinking along similar lines, and am also concerned about the abundance of injuries that seem to happen every year.  I know, every team goes through injury bugs, but it just seems like we cannot catch a break with this and also illness.  Is there an issue with strength and conditioning?

Say the AD does decide that WBB should be a priority and he does something crazy like letting Coach Yori go.  Who do you hire after that?

I have been thinking along similar lines, and am also concerned about the abundance of injuries that seem to happen every year.  I know, every team goes through injury bugs, but it just seems like we cannot catch a break with this and also illness.  Is there an issue with strength and conditioning?

Say the AD does decide that WBB should be a priority and he does something crazy like letting Coach Yori go.  Who do you hire after that?

the injuries.......been thinking about that lately. is it just bad luck? teams have injuries, but, it just doesn't seem like the extent the huskers have been dealing with the past couple years. are the freshman that come in just not physically prepared for the rigors of coach yori's practices? i have no idea-----just asking. could it be the recruits that come in just aren't the type of athlete that the top programs are getting and adjustments must be made? i really don't know. maybe it's just the chance you take.

in regards to your last question------maybe you keep an eye on what coach williams is doing at usd? i don't really know if unl is going to be able to attract a "big" name. unless you really open the wallet and i seriously doubt that would happen for women's bb. maybe i am wrong.

Count me as amazed with the second paragraph of this post and the two before it, including this from Red Steve's post:  "This can even go up to the UNL's AD level, and how much emphasis they want to put on women's bball.  Do they want more from the sport?  Or do they want to have a midpack team, that can get to the NCAAs....some years?"      I am absolutely dumb founded that this would even be a topic of discussion. 

First of all, is there any evidence that women's basketball is not a high priority in our athletic department?  Let's see, we have great facilities, they pay the coach $700k a year, we fund the program at a high level.  What shows it isn't a high priority?  Other than not offering $20 million to hire Geno Auriema I don't know what it would be. Women's bball is one of the school's most successful programs in the last decade (other than volleyball, bowling, and perhaps track nothing is better), and I'm pretty sure it is a priority and isn't getting fewer resources than our competitors.

I realize no one said "fire Yori", but to even mention it is bizarre.   We sure haven't been a "middle of the pack team" in recent years.  I saw it earlier on here this season; people had unrealistically high expectations.  And now when we have had some struggles, we have an overreaction the other way.  Did anyone think that this wouldn't be somewhat of a rebuilding year, after losing 4 starters with over 400 starts?   To be where we are with those losses, plus our best player being about 75% for most of the season and our freshman stud coming off of knee surgery, is quite good, actually. 

Perspective:

1. In Yori's 13 full seasons, we have 11 post season appearances.  7 NCAA tournaments.  The men's team had 1 NCAA tournament during that time.

2.  A conference regular season title (none since a shared one in 1947 for the men) and a conference title.  2 Sweet 16s.  Seven 20 win seasons, and we're on track for 8.  4 straight NCAA tournament appearances.  

3.  Attendance has been top 25 nationally the last 6 years. 

4.  100% graduation rate.  Excellent in academic performance and citizenship.

5.  The best years of the 14 have been over the past 6 (a reverse of the Oregon State record of our football coach).  One of the best freshman in the country plays for NU.  

We're 16-7 and in the upper division of the conference in a rebuilding year.   For that to be a major concern shows how good it has been.  

All categories one could look at reflect excellence--on the court success, academics, attendance.  

I completely don't get it.  

I have always been a coach Yori fan and will always be one.  I think we should wait until the season is completely done before making too much criticism about recruiting.  How did O.St get Mitchell?  Hired her dad as an asst. coach and then suddenly she commits to them.  When she's gone then what.  They will still have him.  A big top recruit often changes the ability to recruit others.  Time will tell if others will join Jessica S. in coming to NU.

I don't always put a lot into the recruit rankings.  I think Coach Yori is very good at finding "flying-under-the-radar" types of players.

I do feel like the bench should be given a lot of playing time early in the season, mainly due to our ongoing injury issues.  Play them when they aren't injured so they can get some experience.  They need to get at least a few minutes of non-mop-up duty in those early games just for the experience. 

My comment about the AD doing something crazy is more of an opinion of the AD than it is about Coach Yori.

My first post's definitely NOT an anti-Yori post. I really think she's qualified from a coaching standpoint.

Rather, it's just fodder for discussion, about recruiting like the title of the thread says.

But it's undeniable that recruiting is the difference to greater success, for any school. For many of reasons.

All college sports, particularly Div 1....there's pressure to recruit.

One of NU football asst. coaches was just relieved of his duties....in part because inefficiencies on the recruiting front.

Injuries....I said before there's got to be some reason it happens so often.....or isn't prevented from happening.

i was mainly pointing out how difficult it is going to be for anybody in the Big Ten to hang with Maryland and, probably OSU for Big Ten Championships------in the near future anyway. if your recruiting top 50 consistently, odds are you're probably getting a pretty good player and gonna be a pretty doggone good squad.

i'm greedy to the point i would like to see the 'N' emblem a little more in the top 100!  ;)  you know, stay ahead of the purdue's, iowa's, msu's, etc. that's just the competitive me!  :)

plus, any talk of coach yori being replaced anytime soon is nonsense---------then again, she has been at unl quite awhile now, and, one never knows what the future holds. look at reilly, was and is still is quite a bit of discussion just how long he will be at unl.

In my opinion, the recruiting classes have improved significantly in the last several years - with next years class having as much potential if not more than this years. If the last few classes had no defections you most likely would have seen much more depth, talent level, and a better all around team, and although NU has seemed to be a bit snake bit in this regard recently, (again with this years class w the injuries), the overall movement here is upward. Agreed we are not in the top tier, or maybe nowhere close by some estimations, and may never get there, but the trend is up - I like it, it's just not as fast as we want.

Geno liked our facilities... 

But would need $$$ to get him here, unless he just decides to retire. 

Yeah, Geno!!!!  I like it!!!!

And, while we're at it, let's go get Nick Saban to coach our football team.  I mean, it'll take $$$$$$$$$$, but I'm sure he'll like our facilities.

And this might sound kinda crazy, but do you think Phil Jackson might come out of retirement to coach our men's hoops team?

That would be a trifecta!!! OMG!!!

And I want Natalie Coughlin to come coach our swimmers -- primarily because she's smoking hawt.  Might be tough to get her out of California, but maybe if we promised to hire Michael Phelps to be her assistant.  I think we could gitter done. 

What do you guys think?  You think I'm serious?  I'm not.

The NU Women's BB program is in excellent hands with Coach Yori!  Are we going to compete with Maryland and OSU for the top athletes?  Probably not.  But NU has a great anchor to build around for the next 3 years.  Next class is bringing in the wings and guards necessary to push NU forward.  Injuries and defections have cost this team more than any other issue.  Connie is going to recruit girls to fit her program and anyone can see that ideally NU plays a fun, uptempo, fan friendly style.  Most of the other NU programs need to "catch up" to the success of Women's BB under Coach Yori!  She is a bargain.

Like HB says, I'm surprised this thread even exists.  I'm more than happy with Coach Yori;  And her recruiting.  Here is something from the recent game page (more than you want to know ;)) that caught my attention:

Huskers Sign Third Straight Top 15 Class

A solid group of five 2016 high school seniors including a pair of top 100 national recruits gave the Nebraska women’s basketball team its third consecutive top-15 recruiting class, Coach Connie Yori announced on Nov. 11.

Yori and the Huskers will welcome Mi’Cole Cayton (5-9, G, Stockton, Calif./St. Mary’s), Kathleen Doyle (5-9, G, LaGrange, Ill./Benet Academy), Nicea Eliely (6-1, G/F, Colorado Springs, Colo./Rampart), Grace Mitchell (6-2, G/F, Wellington, Kan./Wellington) and Hannah Whitish (5-9, G, Barneveld, Wis./ Barneveld) in a class that was ranked No. 14 nationally by Blue Star.

Cayton and Doyle provide the headlines for the group, with Doyle being ranked as the No. 22 overall player in the nation by Blue Star, No. 69 by All Star Girls Report and No. 89 by Prospects Nation, while Cayton was ranked as the No. 80 overall player by ESPN. Cayton led her St. Mary’s team to a California Open Division state championship and a No. 2 final national ranking by USA Today in 2015, while Doyle led Benet Academy to its first-ever Illinois state title and a final No. 23 national ranking by USA Today.

Eliely added a ranking as the No. 25 guard in the country by ESPN, while Mitchell was ranked as the No. 51 wing nationally by ESPN. Whitish is a leading contender for Wisconsin Player-of-the-Year honors in 2016 and could reach the 2,000-point career scoring mark while trying to lead her high school team to its third consecutive state title.

Nebraska’s fourth top-25 recruiting class in the last six seasons might resemble most closely its first top-25 class in school history, which was the four-player class of Emily Cady, Brandi Jeffery, Tear’a Laudermill and Hailie Sample that graduated as the most successful senior class in school history after leading the Big Red to four consecutive NCAA tournaments and four straight 20-win seasons.

“We have a lot of reasons to be excited about this year’s class,” Yori said. “Obviously, we needed to address some needs in the backcourt with the upcoming graduations of Rachel Theriot and Kyndal Clark, and we also felt like we need to add depth at the wing positions, which we really haven’t had in the last five years or maybe in my entire 14-year career at Nebraska. These young players have the potential to grow into elite guards in our program.

“All the top programs in the country know about Mi’Cole Cayton and Kathleen Doyle. They played for two of the nation’s best teams last year and they led their teams to state titles. Maybe not as many people know about Hannah Whitish, but she is a great shooter, a smart player and a great leader who has led her team to back-to-back state championships in Wisconsin. We are really excited about seeing all three of them alongside Natalie Romeo in our backcourt the next couple years.”

In addition to the three point/shooting guards, the Huskers will add Eliely and Mitchell to the wings, joining 2015-16 freshman Maddie Simon and 2015-16 sophomore Jasmine Cincore. “Nicea Eliely and Grace Mitchell both have a lot of potential, and we feel like both of them have some really good basketball in front of them,” Yori said. “Nicea has a chance to be a lock-down defender. She has great length and athleticism and she comes from a basketball family. Grace is relatively new to basketball, especially in terms of summer club basketball, but she can flat out shoot it. She has great size and deep shooting range to extend defenses around our inside game.”

This year’s crop of Husker recruits will be added to this season’s freshman class, which was ranked as the No. 8 recruiting class in the country by ESPN in the fall of 2014, and NU’s current sophomore class, which was ranked No. 9 in the nation by ESPN in the fall of 2013.

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/4465711.pdf

Coach Yori's record speaks for itself.

I know we are all disappointed in the WBB results so far this year, given the excellent prospects at the beginning of the season.  But HB (and several others) make many good points of it being a rebuilding year after losing 4 starters.  That combined with injuries ,and some key players not being 100%, contribute to our poor play at times, and propensity to turn the ball over and make poor passes.  Getting back to the premise of the original posters, the future of Nebrasketball looks bright.  I like our chances!  :)

Like HB says, I'm surprised this thread even exists.  I'm more than happy with Coach Yori;  And her recruiting.  Here is something from the recent game page (more than you want to know ;)) that caught my attention:

Huskers Sign Third Straight Top 15 Class

A solid group of five 2016 high school seniors including a pair of top 100 national recruits gave the Nebraska women’s basketball team its third consecutive top-15 recruiting class, Coach Connie Yori announced on Nov. 11.

Yori and the Huskers will welcome Mi’Cole Cayton (5-9, G, Stockton, Calif./St. Mary’s), Kathleen Doyle (5-9, G, LaGrange, Ill./Benet Academy), Nicea Eliely (6-1, G/F, Colorado Springs, Colo./Rampart), Grace Mitchell (6-2, G/F, Wellington, Kan./Wellington) and Hannah Whitish (5-9, G, Barneveld, Wis./ Barneveld) in a class that was ranked No. 14 nationally by Blue Star.

Cayton and Doyle provide the headlines for the group, with Doyle being ranked as the No. 22 overall player in the nation by Blue Star, No. 69 by All Star Girls Report and No. 89 by Prospects Nation, while Cayton was ranked as the No. 80 overall player by ESPN. Cayton led her St. Mary’s team to a California Open Division state championship and a No. 2 final national ranking by USA Today in 2015, while Doyle led Benet Academy to its first-ever Illinois state title and a final No. 23 national ranking by USA Today.

Eliely added a ranking as the No. 25 guard in the country by ESPN, while Mitchell was ranked as the No. 51 wing nationally by ESPN. Whitish is a leading contender for Wisconsin Player-of-the-Year honors in 2016 and could reach the 2,000-point career scoring mark while trying to lead her high school team to its third consecutive state title.

Nebraska’s fourth top-25 recruiting class in the last six seasons might resemble most closely its first top-25 class in school history, which was the four-player class of Emily Cady, Brandi Jeffery, Tear’a Laudermill and Hailie Sample that graduated as the most successful senior class in school history after leading the Big Red to four consecutive NCAA tournaments and four straight 20-win seasons.

“We have a lot of reasons to be excited about this year’s class,” Yori said. “Obviously, we needed to address some needs in the backcourt with the upcoming graduations of Rachel Theriot and Kyndal Clark, and we also felt like we need to add depth at the wing positions, which we really haven’t had in the last five years or maybe in my entire 14-year career at Nebraska. These young players have the potential to grow into elite guards in our program.

“All the top programs in the country know about Mi’Cole Cayton and Kathleen Doyle. They played for two of the nation’s best teams last year and they led their teams to state titles. Maybe not as many people know about Hannah Whitish, but she is a great shooter, a smart player and a great leader who has led her team to back-to-back state championships in Wisconsin. We are really excited about seeing all three of them alongside Natalie Romeo in our backcourt the next couple years.”

In addition to the three point/shooting guards, the Huskers will add Eliely and Mitchell to the wings, joining 2015-16 freshman Maddie Simon and 2015-16 sophomore Jasmine Cincore. “Nicea Eliely and Grace Mitchell both have a lot of potential, and we feel like both of them have some really good basketball in front of them,” Yori said. “Nicea has a chance to be a lock-down defender. She has great length and athleticism and she comes from a basketball family. Grace is relatively new to basketball, especially in terms of summer club basketball, but she can flat out shoot it. She has great size and deep shooting range to extend defenses around our inside game.”

This year’s crop of Husker recruits will be added to this season’s freshman class, which was ranked as the No. 8 recruiting class in the country by ESPN in the fall of 2014, and NU’s current sophomore class, which was ranked No. 9 in the nation by ESPN in the fall of 2013.

http://www.huskers.com/pdf9/4465711.pdf

Coach Yori's record speaks for itself.

I know we are all disappointed in the WBB results so far this year, given the excellent prospects at the beginning of the season.  But HB (and several others) make many good points of it being a rebuilding year after losing 4 starters.  That combined with injuries ,and some key players not being 100%, contribute to our poor play at times, and propensity to turn the ball over and make poor passes.  Getting back to the premise of the original posters, the future of Nebrasketball looks bright.  I like our chances!  :)

+1