Maryland post game chatter

The last 2 games have reminded me of the really good Yori-era teams with Moore, Hooper, Cady, and co.

I'm very impressed by the way the role players have stepped up and give Amy a lot of credit in developing that talent around Jaz and Alexis (and Potts). Nissley, Hake, Stewart, Coley, White, and Petrie all had big contributions today against a program that is very hard to beat in March. 

Are we going to the B!G Tournament championship game??

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many key contributors allowed us to win this game and advance throughout.  Above all, Shelley has gone beastmode, for lack of another way of putting it.  I really really want Mich. to win, but nothing in me really believes that will happen!  What a run this team has made!  GBR!!

I will say the scheduling of these games really sucks!  How or why does the B!G allow the final to be scheduled for an 11am CDT start?  Ridiculous!! 

Just now, mwm89 said:

Are we going to the B!G Tournament championship game??

YOU BETCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many key contributors allowed us to win this game and advance throughout.  Above all, Shelley has gone beastmode, for lack of another way of putting it.  I really really want Mich. to win, but nothing in me really believes that will happen!  What a run this team has made!  GBR!!

I will say the scheduling of these games really sucks!  How or why does the B!G allow the final to be scheduled for an 11am CDT start?  Ridiculous!! 

CBS is responsible.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Maryland post game chatter
19 minutes ago, caveman said:

Not for nothing, but I've loved Hake's play throughout this tournament.  Not much for stat stuffing, but very smart 

I especially like the way that she has been pushing the ball up the court with control.  Also that she has dribble drived in the paint and try to create shots for herself and others.  🤩😉

13 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So will coach get any credit for this season?

That's a good question. Lol. I was caught by surprise to win these 3 big games in a row. The girls usually come out in a slump after a big win but not in these last 3 days. 

I give Amy credit the way they are playing now. But we know Amy's teams of years have always been doing great 1 game and then lose their minds the next. 

But the girls are playing for her when it matters. I am impressed with how it's looking. I have always said Amy is great person but I just don't see her getting us to the top. Maybe she can run with it now and getting some good portal pickups and what not. 

I just pray we don't end up an 8 seed. I feel like 7 through 10 are hard seeds to get past that first weekend. 

Excited to see where they place us after getting 2nd or 1st in the big ten 

As another sometime critic, Amy (and the players of course, especially Jaz) absolutely deserve mucho credit for this sustained excellent performance.  Dumb turnovers and ill-advised 3s have at times been serious problems this year.  I said in another thread that the team needs to make ‘good look’ 3s (at >35%) and control turnovers (<12) to beat good teams.  It did just that against MSU, and while they had 15 to’s against Maryland they also made 13 3s @ 45+%.

I stand by my opinion that the team is not overly athletic or quick, which usually has shown up in ineffective man-to-man defensive spurts throughout the season.  But they’re now playing really high energy TEAM defense that largely compensates for any quickness limitations.  So once again, kudos to the coaching staff and players.  Do they have enough left in the tank to overcome a probable Iowa rubber match?  Big ask, but that’s why they call it madness.

5 hours ago, Gamafn said:

I stand by my opinion that the team is not overly athletic or quick, which usually has shown up in ineffective man-to-man defensive spurts throughout the season.  But they’re now playing really high energy TEAM defense that largely compensates for any quickness limitations.  

They did lead the league in defensive team scoring, rebounding and opponents 3 pt shooting %.  I think something that's often overlooked is smarts which Amy puts a high priority on.  

Edited by HUD

9 hours ago, HUD said:

They did lead the league in defensive team scoring, rebounding and opponents 3 pt shooting %.  I think something that's often overlooked is smarts which Amy puts a high priority on.  

Maybe the real important ones that are game changers

15 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

So will coach get any credit for this season?

I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately and plan to put a post up about where I believe she is in her coaching career.  Why wait?  Seasons not over.  Thanks for bringing this up.