Rosenthal rant on Husker fans leaving early

hhcmatt

It makes no sense to leave early. Even with that horrible parking situation last night. What's the deal with only one way out? Is that whole area going to be cage off the rest of the year? They couldn't wait till after the season? The people that are there I would consider die hards. I don't care about the people that didn't show up. Hell Ive had season tickets for 5 years and always move down to a certain section because those seats are never taken unless it's a big game. Don't show up, I don't care. But don't jump on the bandwagon when it turns around and act like you've always been there. What does leaving ten minutes early do? Seriously, kids, age, whatever...I don't think that extra ten minutes did anything for you. Most of the people I assume are from Lincoln unlike me who come from Omaha. I could care less about an extra ten minutes. I was more worried about them hitting that last second shot. Tickets are so cheap and I was so upset the crowd was so quiet last night in a close game and a game where the fans really could of helped out. Oh, and anyone else notice the keyboard in the band? How annoying was that? Sounded like an xylophone. Anyway, that's my rant. Thanks B.R. And I agree the Redzone was good. Love the U and the bell pic. Also the Miles head was great.

And ten minutes of game time turns into 45 minutes of parking lot time.

I don't care one bit if people leave early. I assume they have a legitimate reason to be heading out. That reason outweighs the reason to stay. I can't fault someone for that.

Well atskooc, don't be surprised when I yell snide things to you as you walk out early.

I would imagine you'd be paying attention to the game and not to me leaving early (which I won't be doing as I doubt I'll make it to any games this year, and if I do go I'll probably stay the entire time [i usually do]).

For those hoping for a large and rowdy crowd on 12-3 (presumably to impress Tai), remember the football Huskers will most likely be playing in the B1G championship game two days earlier.

I think it would be fair to say there may be a bit of a Husker hangover after that game (win or lose) and it may affect the hoops crowd some.

Like it or not, until conference basketball season begins, hoopyball will take a back seat to football, and crowds will be smaller and less involved. It is just the way it is. But, in all fairness we must understand that this is the way it is at lots of places. Heck, I watched some of the 'Zona and UTEP game last night and it appeared that McKale was only about 2/3 full. And the U of A is in the top 15, playing against a UTEP team that doesn't exactly suck.

So, while I agree, it's hard to understand why some folks can't stick it out for the last 5 minutes or so of the game, I don't think our situation is terribly unique.

I would imagine you'd be paying attention to the game and not to me leaving early (which I won't be doing as I doubt I'll make it to any games this year, and if I do go I'll probably stay the entire time [i usually do]).

It just looks bad and embarassing and especially like BR says when a recruit is here. I sit with some pretty older people and pretty older people behind me and they stay. I just don't get spending the time, energy, money, for an hour and a half and to leave for whatever reason. Maybe the fans are just so used to the same team different year so they keep their traditions as well by leaving early.

This is one of my biggest pet peeve's with the Nebraska BBall crowd! I posted something on it last year also and got reemed for it. But IDC and will say it again. Stay home and watch the damn game on TV if you dont want to be there! Trust me, as a loyal season ticket holder, we will not miss you!! Half those people have no idea about the game of bball anyways and are extremely annoying to listen to or they block the view of the respectful fans that are still there trying to support their team! The players notice those crappy fans leaving with 5 minutes left in a game. No matter if it is a dogfight or not. At least give the players the respect they deserve and finish the game just like they have to!!!!!!!!

I agree with most of the posters...my other pet peeve are all the fans that tend to show up as soon as conference play starts up and they are bragging about how great of fans they are. um...where where you "great fans" in non-conference? Why don't you do something with the tickets other than just sit on them...donate them to a charity at the minimum. Nebraska needs butts in the seats. The whole "we will show up when there's quality" thing rubs me the wrong way too a point too. Most of those people will say "we have been husker fans for years". I call BS...you will show up when they are winning but not the rest of the time. Those are fair weather fans...not "husker fans". I heard that they sold 1000 more season tickets this year than last....I'd hate to see what the place would look like if those 1000 new fans didn't show up. Welcome coach Miles...to the University of Nebraska echo chamber we call "the Bob".

lol..and imagine what this crowd would have looked like in the new Arena?

Swan, may I suggest this web site then. B)

http://www.stadiumpa...what-works.html

I hope no one will be offended.

Pretty funny, Silver! (I don't know how to do a smiley face on this thing).

At least it's not a prostate joke. As I always tell young men who make bald jokes and prostate jokes (not to admit on this anonymous board that either would apply to me) . . . , "Aren't you a bit young to make that kind of joke? And aren't you thinning a little bit up there already?"

This discussion has been going on since the Huskers moved to the Devaney Center. I went to several games at the Coliseum, and I don't remember people leaving early. I think it's all about the location of the BDSC and the crappy parking they've always had there. I doubt it's an issue when they move to the new arena.

So, since this has been happening for the last 37 years, why now does Rosenthal bring it up? I think he's running out of things to talk about.

BTW, I've only left early once during a close game. Don't remember the year, but it was a Collier team. We let K-State back in the game to force overtime. My son and I left at the beginning of the overtime hoping to change the Huskers luck. Needless to say, the Collier influence was too powerful to overcome. ;)

13,595. I hope Tai Webster is interested in playing in half filled arenas.

I hope Tai Webster is smart enough to realize 6000 people in an arena is pretty impressive for a nonconference game against a midmajor in the middle of November for a team picked to finish dead last in their conference and a program that hasn't won an outright conference championship in over a century.

What if he is only heading to the toilet when you are being snide? Were you the guy yelling snide things last night when I did just that at the four minute mark? If so, apology is accepted.

1. Fans, who leave, tend to leave during timeouts. While the band is playing Hail Varsity for the thousandth time I have time to look at all the cockroaches sneaking out and berate them with sarcastic kindness. (My favorite is holding out my keys and asking them to have it warm and out front in 15.)

2. If you go to the toilet with your coat and significant other you are both awkward; I apologize.

Does anyone realize Jadler and I were probably typing the word "toilet" at the same time on this thread? And doesn't this thread have an inordinate number of references to using the bathroom? Can we all raise our aim a little higher now?

I could edit my post to say latrine if that makes you feel better?

Does anyone realize Jadler and I were probably typing the word "toilet" at the same time on this thread? And doesn't this thread have an inordinate number of references to using the bathroom? Can we all raise our aim a little higher now?

You and Jadler might need to flush out your current discussions, plunge into different topics, grab a bowl and get some soup, plug in the TV, and pop a squat on the couch. Did I miss anything else?

I don't know why people leave games early, I'm at the other end of the spectrum, whenever I go to a sporting event I usually stick around until most of the crowd is gone, so I don't have to deal with traffic.

+1 This is also how I "beat the traffic." I have never understood why some people think that an extra 15 minutes is going to ruin their day/sleep/kids...whatever. Hell, it gets me out of the house during the winter. But, yet, they will give up five to six hours of their Saturday during some of the most beautiful days of the year to watch a game.