Creighton jibber jabber

nebrasketball10

Well geez....if they are taking him to the UNO vs. Creighton soccer match, we don't stand a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if he committed right there at halftime of the soccer game. No way can our practice facility, new arena, or a Husker football game compete with that. I hope he is laughing all the way down I-80 and thinking what a waste of time that was.

I can imagine the pitch now[/size]

Miles: Leon this is 85,000 soon to above 90,000 people going insane for a meaningless non con game, can you imagine the atmosphere when were undefeated with Michigan State rolling in here and a shot to clinch the division a play Ohio State in the BIG TEN title game.[/size]

Leon: no coach this is crazy Creighton showed me some lame soccer game and their blueprints for their facilities when i may not even be there anymore,[/size]

Miles: Now Leon, imagine if you come to NU, 2014 were rolling after a pretty good season NCAA tourney appearance second straight season of sell outs and we play Michigan and Ohio state fresh off of sweet 16 appearances in the first games of the year at Pinnacle Bank Arena...imagine that atmosphere[/size]

Leon: speechless, nods head commits to NU then and there.[/size]

Bobcat, your posts are the most humorous I think I've ever read anywhere! After completely failing epically on the NCAA tourney smack, you now go after the due date on the completion of our new training facility and botch that too! (Incidentally it is scheduled to be completed late next spring or early summer, depending on the weather, so it will be there the entire time an incoming freshman will be on the team.)

On the whole soccer vs. football deal, the key is in the presentation. Instead of selling the "look how many come out for football games", I suspect that McDermott and crew sell the whole "basketball players are the big men on campus at Creighton" angle. Who knows what works best, and it certainly varies kid to kid, but don't underestimate the idea that a basketball recruit may want to go to a place where basketball (as opposed to football) comes first in the sport minds of the kids on campus.

Well duh most basketball players will be big men on any campus. Unless you're like Benny, then you would be averaged sized man on campus.

I wouldn't get too cocky considering Creighton stole Zach Hanson from Miles last year. I do think that after this year, Nebraska will be trending upwards, and Creighton is going to hit a wall after losing Mcdermot and gibbs.

We would be a pretty scary team with Gilmore and Bolden. It's hard to imagine NU having this much talent after what we've gone through the last 10-15 years.

Hahahaha. Creighton didn't steal him from Miles. Nebraska backed off of the unranked PF...Probably so they could keep the scholarship open for Hammond, who is ranked by ESPN as a 4-Star and the #22 Center in the country. And in the Rivals150. I think all Husker fans are probably ok with that trade off...

Go back to your Creighton site.

Anyone outside of Nebraska doesn't even know what conference Creighton is in our what other teams are in that conference.

Creighton Fan, if you want people to agree with you, you are in the wrong place.

Now you are just being silly. Everybody who knows anything about basketball knows about the Big East and certainly high school basketball players do. The conference has its own TV contract and every game will be televised.

Creighton Fan, if you want people to agree with you, you are in the wrong place.

You're right. I just didn't expect people would argue every single point just because I am a Creighton fan. I guess I overestimated my audience.

After this year, i think it will be a while before Creighton is a tournament team again.

I guess we'll see. Granted, all americans don't come around everyday, but I see nothing but positive momentum for the Creighton program right now. We have two very talented freshmen bigs that we can build around for several years and, as you well know, are hard to find. A successful year this year could lead to a whole new type of recruit landing at the hilltop. I find it amusing that you say Nebraska has positive momentum despite a pretty abysmal year last year, yet Creighton, who is coming off wins in the NCAA tourney in back to back years and returns essentially every player but one off of last year's roster has negative momentum. I guess we define momentum differently.
"I find it amusing that you say Nebraska has positive momentum despite a pretty abysmal year last year, yet Creighton, who is coming off wins in the NCAA tourney in back to back years and returns essentially every player but one off of last year's roster has negative momentum. I guess we define momentum differently."

Yet, which team has a commit from a Center that is ranked 4-Star by ESPN and in the Rivals150? Which team is opening up a brand new arena? Which team has completely sold out their arena with season tickets? Which team has had multiple articles written about them this summer by national writers? Which team stole the longest tenured assistant on Georgetown's staff? Which team has 5 Sweet16 teams coming to their arena this season?

Go back to your Creighton board.

I wouldn't get too cocky considering Creighton stole Zach Hanson from Miles last year. I do think that after this year, Nebraska will be trending upwards, and Creighton is going to hit a wall after losing Mcdermot and gibbs.

We would be a pretty scary team with Gilmore and Bolden. It's hard to imagine NU having this much talent after what we've gone through the last 10-15 years.

Hahahaha. Creighton didn't steal him from Miles. Nebraska backed off of the unranked PF...Probably so they could keep the scholarship open for Hammond, who is ranked by ESPN as a 4-Star and the #22 Center in the country. And in the Rivals150. I think all Husker fans are probably ok with that trade off...

Seriously? How did what I say make me a Creighton fan? We never backed off of Hanson. He visited here and decided to stay committed to Creighton. We wanted him here, but could not convince him. Hanson is more highly ranked than Leslee smith. Those are the facts.

Creighton Fan,

Recruiting is all that matters, and we have landed 3 top 150 guys in the last year, and Gilmore would be our 4th. That is where our positive momentum comes from.

Our future is much brighter than Creighton's given our recent recruiting success, better facilities, and better conference.

Seriously? How did what I say make me a Creighton fan. We never backed off of Hanson. He visited here and decided to stay committed to Creighton. We wanted him here, but could not convince him. Hanson is more highly ranked than Leslee smith. Those are the facts.

Sorry. I'm on my iPhone and I've seen alot of posts from Creighton Fan, and I thought your post was one of them. I also disagree with you about Hanson. From what I have been told, Nebraska backed off of him, because he isn't a Big Ten caliber player.

Seriously? How did what I say make me a Creighton fan. We never backed off of Hanson. He visited here and decided to stay committed to Creighton. We wanted him here, but could not convince him. Hanson is more highly ranked than Leslee smith. Those are the facts.

Sorry. I'm on my iPhone and I've seen alot of posts from Creighton Fan, and I thought your post was one of them. I also disagree with you about Hanson. From what I have been told, Nebraska backed off of him, because he isn't a Big Ten caliber player.

That's fine. According to what I've been told, Nebraska was high on him at one point, but then backed off because he isn't a Big Ten caliber player.

That's fine. According to what I've been told, Nebraska was high on him at one point, but then backed off because he isn't a Big Ten caliber player.

Anyone has the right to believe whatever they want to.  Even if its wrong.  ;)

I mean really, you want everyone to believe that Miles decided not to use the scholarship at all, despite having a shortage of big guys?  Even more comical - Hanson isn't a Big 10 player, but Vucetic is?

The truth is that Miles even had an in with the Hanson family and thought he would be a Nebraska commit.  When Hanson chose Creighton, Miles was pretty shocked as was anyone involved in covering Nebraska recruiting (hence Washut's tweet).  Hanson is a great kid with great parents (they traveled to Las Vegas for Creighton's games against Wisconsin and Arizona St last year and hung out with Creighton fans all weekend).  I couldn't have been happier with the commit.

Anyone has the right to believe whatever they want to.  Even if its wrong.  ;)

I mean really, you want everyone to believe that Miles decided not to use the scholarship at all, despite having a shortage of big guys?  Even more comical - Hanson isn't a Big 10 player, but Vucetic is?

The truth is that Miles even had an in with the Hanson family and thought he would be a Nebraska commit.  When Hanson chose Creighton, Miles was pretty shocked as was anyone involved in covering Nebraska recruiting (hence Washut's tweet).  Hanson is a great kid with great parents (they traveled to Las Vegas for Creighton's games against Wisconsin and Arizona St last year and hung out with Creighton fans all weekend).  I couldn't have been happier with the commit.

It was a solid get for you guys, but the point is that Nebraska is still having much greater success in recruiting than creighton is right now. 3 top 150 guys in a year, and Gilmore would be our 4th.

Hanson would have been our 3rd or 4th best recruit for 2013, and he was your #1 recruit

I'd much rather have gilmore and hammond than Hanson

Well geez....if they are taking him to the UNO vs. Creighton soccer match, we don't stand a chance.  I wouldn't be surprised if he committed right there at halftime of the soccer game.  No way can our practice facility, new arena, or a Husker football game compete with that.  I hope he is laughing all the way down I-80 and thinking what a waste of time that was.

I can imagine the pitch now

Miles: Leon this is 85,000 soon to above 90,000 people going insane for a meaningless non con game, can you imagine the atmosphere when were undefeated with Michigan State rolling in here and a shot to clinch the division a play Ohio State in the BIG TEN title game.

Leon: no coach this is crazy Creighton showed me some lame soccer game and their blueprints for their facilities when i may not even be there anymore,

Miles: Now Leon, imagine if you come to NU, 2014 were rolling after a pretty good season NCAA tourney appearance second straight season of sell outs and we play Michigan and Ohio state fresh off of sweet 16 appearances in the first games of the year at Pinnacle Bank Arena...imagine that atmosphere

Leon: speechless, nods head commits to NU then and there.

Bobcat, your posts are the most humorous I think I've ever read anywhere!  After completely failing epically on the NCAA tourney smack, you now go after the due date on the completion of our new training facility and botch that too!  (Incidentally it is scheduled to be completed late next spring or early summer, depending on the weather, so it will be there the entire time an incoming freshman will be on the team.)

On the whole soccer vs. football deal, the key is in the presentation.  Instead of selling the "look how many come out for football games", I suspect that McDermott and crew sell the whole "basketball players are the big men on campus at Creighton" angle.  Who knows what works best, and it certainly varies kid to kid, but don't underestimate the idea that a basketball recruit may want to go to a place where basketball (as opposed to football) comes first in the sport minds of the kids on campus.

That's very ironic coming from you Tommy considering it was just about a week ago you were spouting off at how delusional Nebraska fans were thinking they could get highly regarded kids to come to play basketball at NU....then of course just a few days later Hammond commits and you go on a tantrum on twitter.  For a program that love to dog and say is irrelevant...you sure do talk about NU quite a bit.  Back into your hole Tom....or better yet, go tweet some 16 year old kids begging them to come to Creighton.  How pathetic. 

This seems like a good time to remind my Husker BB friends about a couple facts concerning our rivalry with Creighton:

Our won-loss record over the last 15 games: 4-11.
Last year's result:  A 22 point drubbing at home

Now, I agree, the future is starting to look more bright, but until I see that start to appear in our W/L column, I'm keeping my feet on the ground.

It's probably just me - I'm not one to talk smack anyway - but it just seems to be a little silly to smack-talk with fans from our in-state rival right now.,

Uh, if we don't win this year, we'll go 20 years without beating the Jays in Omaha during the regular season. That's unacceptable.

I hate Creighton more than anything. Yes we've lost a bunch of times in Omaha. But lets just say we've lost 9 in a row in Omaha. Still bad but sounds way better than saying that we haven't won for 20 years.

Creighton Fan,

Recruiting is all that matters, and we have landed 3 top 150 guys in the last year, and Gilmore would be our 4th. That is where our positive momentum comes from.

Our future is much brighter than Creighton's given our recent recruiting success, better facilities, and better conference.

I don't really know much about recruiting (although I do generally try to read up on kids that Creighton signs) so I had no idea of the veracity of your post.  Because you intrigued me, I checked a bit.  According to Huskeronline's Robin Washut (the Rivals basketball guy for Nebraska), Hammonds was Nebraska's first top 150 recruit.  Ever. 

Which team is opening up a brand new arena? Which team has completely sold out their arena with season tickets? Which team has had multiple articles written about them this summer by national writers? Which team stole the longest tenured assistant on Georgetown's staff? Which team has 5 Sweet16 teams coming to their arena this season?

Okay, its a slow day, so I'll play along.

1) Yes, you are opening a new arena. New arenas don't usually make teams better, but I get the excitement.  I felt the same way when Creighton moved to the Qwest and again when they expanded the arena a couple of years later.

2)  Yes, you've sold out the arena which is certainly a positive.  I would suggest to you that Creighton will have at least as many season ticket holders as Nebraska this year though and CU's overall attendance will certainly be higher.  Is it true that upper bowl tickets at your new arena were only $4 per game?  If so, that is a remarkable bargain and if they couldn't sell out with that steal of a deal, they probably should have never moved the program out of Devaney.

3) You said, "Which team has had multiple articles written about them this summer by national writers?"  For this one, I can only assume that you are more of a football fan that follows basketball secondarily.  I say that because one would be hard pressed to find many articles this "summer by national writers" that did not mention Doug McDermott and Creighton.  You may be getting more coverage than you did the past few years, but you are getting nowhere near the national publicity that Creighton is getting merely due to the fact that Creighton has a returning all-american and preseaon candidate for POY on its roster.

4) I don't know that I'd necessarily use the term "stole", but you did get him to come to Lincoln and it was a very big hire.  Congratulations as I admit this was a big deal.  By way of comparison, I'd point out that Creighton brought in a former assistant to the national championship UConn team under Jim Calhoun.  Parties can obviously disagree as to which was the bigger hire, but a truly objective person would find it pretty hard to say that Nebraska's hire was overwhelmingly superior.

5) I haven't counted, but I will take your word for it as to the number of sweet sixteen participants that you have coming to your arena.  I don't understand however, how that makes Nebraska a better team.  It sounds more like you are boasting about the accomplishments of your opponents than about your own team's accomplishments.  If you wish to compare however, depending how the MTE schedule turns out, Creighton could play 8 NCAA tourney teams from last year in just the noncon, with another several occurring in the conference schedule.  Plus, Creighton knows that every Big East team will be playing in Omaha as the league has a double round robin schedule.

I completely understand your enthusiasm.  I do believe, however, you are letting preseason excitement, which comes in a time in which there are zero results yet, is causing you to make some hyperbolic statements. I suspect that those statements derive more from a certain ignorance about the state of the Creighton program rather than from a well researched analysis.  Frankly, I think you worry too much about Creighton in your posts and really should focus more on your program itself.  Either way, I wish you the best of luck this season (except for a certain game in Omaha, which will certainly be a sellout).

4) I don't know that I'd necessarily use the term "stole", but you did get him to come to Lincoln and it was a very big hire.  Congratulations as I admit this was a big deal.  By way of comparison, I'd point out that Creighton brought in a former assistant to the national championship UConn team under Jim Calhoun.  Parties can obviously disagree as to which was the bigger hire, but a truly objective person would find it pretty hard to say that Nebraska's hire was overwhelmingly superior.

I was fine up until this point.  Sellers came from HOFSTRA!! He wasnt at UCONN when you got him.  If he had been that big of a commodity even in the slightest he would've gotten a better gig after being let go at UCONN.  He was on his way down not on his way up.

Uh, if we don't win this year, we'll go 20 years without beating the Jays in Omaha during the regular season. That's unacceptable.

I hate Creighton more than anything. Yes we've lost a bunch of times in Omaha. But lets just say we've lost 9 in a row in Omaha. Still bad but sounds way better than saying that we haven't won for 20 years.

I'll let you run with that.  Go for it!

I was fine up until this point.  Sellers came from HOFSTRA!! He wasnt at UCONN when you got him.  If he had been that big of a commodity even in the slightest he would've gotten a better gig after being let go at UCONN.  He was on his way down not on his way up.

One of you is a bit off and one of you is a bit misleading.  At least one of you has a very good reason to be posting on this board, while the other is usually trolling folks.

Anyway, Sellers was not let go for performance-related reasons.  Although he was cleared by the NCAA, his recent job move(s) are more like Steve Forbes' (formerly at Tennessee, not exonerated by NCAA, and now back in D-1 at Wichita) than Kenya Hunter's.  Basically, Sellers was at Hofstra because he helped protect Jim Calhoun's program and respected his chain of command.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6631709/after-chinese-exile-ncaa-cleared-patrick-sellers-gets-another-shot-hofstra-college-basketball

One of you is a bit off and one of you is a bit misleading.  At least one of you has a very good reason to be posting on this board, while the other is usually trolling folks.

Anyway, Sellers was not exactly let go.  Although he was cleared by the NCAA, his recent job move(s) are more like Steve Forbes' (formerly at Tennessee, not exonerated by NCAA, and now back in D-1 at Wichita) than Kenya Hunter's.  Basically, Sellers was at Hofstra because he helped protect Jim Calhoun's program and respected his chain of command.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/6631709/after-chinese-exile-ncaa-cleared-patrick-sellers-gets-another-shot-hofstra-college-basketball

"misleading" or not the first sentence of the article you linked is exactly what I stated and is 100% true.

On Feb. 22, former Connecticut assistant Patrick Sellers found himself in China, where he had gone to keep his coaching career alive after being let go by the Huskies. 

Which team is opening up a brand new arena? Which team has completely sold out their arena with season tickets? Which team has had multiple articles written about them this summer by national writers? Which team stole the longest tenured assistant on Georgetown's staff? Which team has 5 Sweet16 teams coming to their arena this season?

Okay, its a slow day, so I'll play along.

1) Yes, you are opening a new arena. New arenas don't usually make teams better, but I get the excitement. I felt the same way when Creighton moved to the Qwest and again when they expanded the arena a couple of years later.

2) Yes, you've sold out the arena which is certainly a positive. I would suggest to you that Creighton will have at least as many season ticket holders as Nebraska this year though and CU's overall attendance will certainly be higher. Is it true that upper bowl tickets at your new arena were only $4 per game? If so, that is a remarkable bargain and if they couldn't sell out with that steal of a deal, they probably should have never moved the program out of Devaney.

3) You said, "Which team has had multiple articles written about them this summer by national writers?" For this one, I can only assume that you are more of a football fan that follows basketball secondarily. I say that because one would be hard pressed to find many articles this "summer by national writers" that did not mention Doug McDermott and Creighton. You may be getting more coverage than you did the past few years, but you are getting nowhere near the national publicity that Creighton is getting merely due to the fact that Creighton has a returning all-american and preseaon candidate for POY on its roster.

4) I don't know that I'd necessarily use the term "stole", but you did get him to come to Lincoln and it was a very big hire. Congratulations as I admit this was a big deal. By way of comparison, I'd point out that Creighton brought in a former assistant to the national championship UConn team under Jim Calhoun. Parties can obviously disagree as to which was the bigger hire, but a truly objective person would find it pretty hard to say that Nebraska's hire was overwhelmingly superior.

5) I haven't counted, but I will take your word for it as to the number of sweet sixteen participants that you have coming to your arena. I don't understand however, how that makes Nebraska a better team. It sounds more like you are boasting about the accomplishments of your opponents than about your own team's accomplishments. If you wish to compare however, depending how the MTE schedule turns out, Creighton could play 8 NCAA tourney teams from last year in just the noncon, with another several occurring in the conference schedule. Plus, Creighton knows that every Big East team will be playing in Omaha as the league has a double round robin schedule.

I completely understand your enthusiasm. I do believe, however, you are letting preseason excitement, which comes in a time in which there are zero results yet, is causing you to make some hyperbolic statements. I suspect that those statements derive more from a certain ignorance about the state of the Creighton program rather than from a well researched analysis. Frankly, I think you worry too much about Creighton in your posts and really should focus more on your program itself. Either way, I wish you the best of luck this season (except for a certain game in Omaha, which will certainly be a sellout).

Response to your #1:

The new arena was already listed as a reason that Jacob Hammond (ESPN 4-Star #22 Center in the country, Rivals150) committed to Nebraska. Here is an article titled "Hammond sold after seeing new arena":

http://m.journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/article_693b7b54-046b-11e3-8c37-0019bb2963f4.html?mobile_touch=true

Response to your #3:

There have been multiple articles about Nebraska basketball written by national columnists that have been posted on this site.

Response to your #4:

I already destroyed you on this topic of which is the better hire in another thread, so I'm not going to spend alot of time on it again. There is a reason that Hunter was the longest tenured assistant at Georgetown when Nebraska hired him, while Creighton's hire was from Hofstra when they hired him.

Gary Parish doesn't use 'stole', but he did write this article "Yes, Nebraska is now taking assistants from Georgetown". This was one of the multiple articles written over the last year about Nebraska basketball by a national media member...

"the Hunter-to-Nebraska development is wild, mostly because it means Nebraska just poached an assistant from Georgetown. And while it would be easy to question how Georgetown could let that happen, I think a better use of this space would be to highlight exactly what's going on in Lincoln.

Simply put, this is not your grandfather's Nebraska.

Or your father's Nebraska.

Or even your older brother's Nebraska.

The Big Ten school opened a new $20 million basketball practice facility in October 2011, will open a new $179 million basketball arena this season, and is paying second-year coach Tim Miles a salary that'll eventually exceed $2 million annually, which brings me to Hunter and his salary. A source told CBSSports.com that it'll be $230,000 a year, and that all three Huskers assistants now make at least $200,000 a year. So while Nebraska is still quite obviously a "football" school, the administration has made it clear it thinks there's no reason basketball can't operate at a high level, too.

Will it?

We'll see.

But the school is undeniably investing properly.

And that's almost always the first step toward something great."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/22385197/yes-nebraska-is-now-taking-assistants-from-georgetown

I don't remember, but was a similar article written by a national columnist titled "Yes, Creighton is now taking assistants from Hofstra"? I imagine the only praise that hire received was from the bluejay-goggle-wearing-local-Omaha media...putting the bluejay spin on the hire, to appease the local Creighton fans...

Response to your last paragraph:

"Frankly, I think you worry too much about Creighton in your posts and really should focus more on your program itself."

Hahahahahahaha. This is quite possibly the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on HHC. You are telling me that I worry too much about Creighton and I should focus more on my own team. Haha. That's coming from a dbag Creighton Fan that is so worried about Nebraska basketball, instead of their own team, that they feel the need to continuously troll a Husker message board. I'm here at a Husker message board to talk about the Huskers. Maybe you should take your own advice, go back to your mid-major Creighton basketball site, and worry about your own team, instead of trolling on a Husker board. If there really were bigger and better things going on in the wonderful world of Creighton basketball, then you would be occupied posting about those things on a Creighton message board.