Things I like about Miles:
1. He’s recruited a higher caliber athlete than we’ve had in decades
2. He’s taken us to a level previous coaches were unable to
3. Great/open personality and very likeable
Things I’m not sure about:
1. Is the recruiting/success a result of him or facilities upgrades? I know recruiting is about relationships, but could other coaches recruit here just as well with the facilities?
2. The attrition - while arguably natural - seems unhealthy. When TP left, we said it was because he was 24 and his stock. When WP left, it was because he was a head case. When AWIII left, it was his dad and unreasonable expectations. Last years losses weren’t that big of deal... and we arguable ended up better for it. If Palmer or Copeland leaves, I think I’ll be a little more leery and tired of the excuses. All previous instances can be explained individually, but the trend is concerning (some will say this is happening throughout college basketball... but I don’t hear of a lot of quality players leaving early to go to the D-league).
Things don’t like:
1. The lack of offensive sets to get us goood looks when we’re struggling.
2. Non-existent in-bounds plays.
3. Looks we end up getting at the end of games when we NEED a bucket.
4. Player development. GW (arguably his best recruit) has arguably gotten worse over the last 1.5 years.
In all, I like Miles and it would be foolish to fire him, but my gut tells me he is not the coach to get us to the NEXT level (consistently in the top half of the B1G). If he’s going to be, I think he needs better coaches on his bench (offensive mind and player development).