I watched my first Husker basketball game ...

9 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

I'm sure the missionaries appreciated the worn out shoes...  😉

They were in decent shape, but not mint condition for keeping as expensive keepsakes, like they could have been... they probably got even more enjoyment than I did out of 'em, tbh. Both that missionary kid (*we were friends*) and myself were BIG Michael Jordan fanatics.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

They were in decent shape, but not mint condition for keeping as expensive keepsakes, like they could have been... they probably got even more enjoyment than I did out of 'em, tbh. Both that missionary kid (*we were friends*) and myself were BIG Michael Jordan fanatics.

I played town ball and 3 on 3 in Hastings. And I had a pair of air jordan's, they were the best basketball shoes I ever had.

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 hour ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I played town ball and 3 on 3 in Hastings. And I a pair of air jordan's, they were the best basketball shoes I ever had.

Better than the Oxford style Chuck Taylor Converse All Stars?  The greatest basketball shoe ever and still a style icon! 😉😉

7 hours ago, hugh42 said:

If memory serves, my first game in person was during the 80-81 season. We were playing Oklahoma St. and their star player was Leroy Combs who was a sophomore. I was a sophomore in high school and I believe I was there with my brother and his wife. At the start of the game we were seated on the planks at the top of the arena behind one of the baskets. I believe just before opening tip we spotted someone we knew in the student section below us and we were able to sneak in and joined them under the hoop. Andre Smith was a senior, Jack Moore a junior and Greg Downing a soph. The atmosphere was crazy and NU came out on top. It was the largest attendance for a NU game ever, 15038 and I was there. 🙂

Good to hear from you Hugh !   Sounds like we were both there ( I referenced this one in mine).   Almost positive it would have been the same season.  Do you remember Andre blowing a few dunks at the end ?   Pretty sure that year the first round Big 8 post season game was at home vs Colorado and JoJo Hunter went off for 37 or so and upset us. 

58 minutes ago, lang said:

Good to hear from you Hugh !   Sounds like we were both there ( I referenced this one in mine).   Almost positive it would have been the same season.  Do you remember Andre blowing a few dunks at the end ?   Pretty sure that year the first round Big 8 post season game was at home vs Colorado and JoJo Hunter went off for 37 or so and upset us. 

I don't recall the missed dunks but I don't recall much of the game action. The atmosphere was what stood out to me and being really close to the action. Andre was certainly a dude.

13 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Was Dev Nelson still a sportscaster at WIBW in Topeka then? I remember his catch phrase was when he called a good play or close game a "double deep dish dilly". I don't believe it caught on with any other broadcaster.

Yes, and Max Falkenstien was the "voice of the Jayhawks" at that time--2 true legends. Dad and I actually talked to Falkenstien after an NU-KU game in Lincoln in the late '60s.

4 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I played town ball and 3 on 3 in Hastings. And I had a pair of air jordan's, they were the best basketball shoes I ever had.

I wish my folks had bought two pair (*but the 1 was probably WAY beyond their budget*), worn one and kept one in a safe deposit box. Oh me, oh my!!! lol

Edited by AuroranHusker

I feel like the first memory of watching the Huskers in person was when they played an exhibition game or scrimmage or something like that in my hometown of Norfolk. Did they do those sort of games or am I misremembering? I think they gave out posters of the team because I kept one in my room, and I think I got Beau Reid and the original Flying Dutchman, Richard Van Polgeest’s autographs. Maybe it was around 1987? Can anyone give me some help on this? 

11 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

It's a wild, circuitous route to Nebrasketball. Indubitably.

I have an Iowa story, too, sort of... it was out of necessity. I grew up on a central NE farm, well, outside of Aurora, NE, imagine that? lol

Anyhow, there was an Albion satellite station for a Sioux City TV station, and they religiously showed the Dr. Tom Davis Show every week, that I had stumbled across. Well, me being a rabid basketball junkie, I latched onto it!! I grew to love Dr. Tom much like NU's Dr. Tom Osborne. Both upstanding men who led their teams well. He taught the fundamentals on his 30-min. weekly program for "Iowa Basketball Hoops," as I recall the name, which may not be accurate... nevertheless, I liked the 'Hawks when Roy Marble Sr., B.J. Armstrong, and Acie Earl were roaming the court in the late 80s... It wasn't a "love 'em" type of situation because Nebraska basketball was my love, but I didn't hate 'em either! Turned that liking of BJ Armstrong into lapping up all things Chicago Bulls with the help of MJ, of course. Despite being a poor farmer fam, I did have the original Air Jordans. Loved those shoes, wore 'em out, & donated them to missionaries... memories...

I grew up in Norfolk and could watch the Hawkeyes on the Sioux City stations. They were my second favorite team behind the Huskers too. Some really good teams. And you’re right. Dr. Tom was great. Being in different conferences didn’t create a lot of animosity for me at the time. But the switch to the B1G and Steve Alford and especially Fran have made my fondness for Hawkeye basketball a distant memory! 😂

35 minutes ago, CanadianHusker said:

I grew up in Norfolk and could watch the Hawkeyes on the Sioux City stations. They were my second favorite team behind the Huskers too. Some really good teams. And you’re right. Dr. Tom was great. Being in different conferences didn’t create a lot of animosity for me at the time. But the switch to the B1G and Steve Alford and especially Fran have made my fondness for Hawkeye basketball a distant memory! 😂

Frannie is no Dr. Tom Davis, that's for damn certain. I don't care if Frannie beat Dr. Tom's record, he's a nobody in my book! And, yes, agreed on the rooting interest... no question -- I never 'rooted' for them, I more enjoyed and appreciated their offense & defense and their variety of skilled players in the 1980s! I also liked to watch Kirk Heinrich, who was ironically from IA, as he played for KU. I've always picked out dudes from all over to concentrate on and enjoy watching them 'cook'--now more in the NBA, tbh. My son and I go to NBA games, too, as it's a ton of fun to sit close to the action! It's FAN-tastic as the old NBA commercials told us. They were right.

Edited by AuroranHusker

40 minutes ago, CanadianHusker said:

I feel like the first memory of watching the Huskers in person was when they played an exhibition game or scrimmage or something like that in my hometown of Norfolk. Did they do those sort of games or am I misremembering? I think they gave out posters of the team because I kept one in my room, and I think I got Beau Reid and the original Flying Dutchman, Richard Van Polgeest’s autographs. Maybe it was around 1987? Can anyone give me some help on this? 

I know they came to Aurora, too. I think it was kind of an NU barn-storming tour. We loved it !!!

Edited by AuroranHusker

Going back to Norm’s original post, I was a student at the game when Fort lost his contact lens. NU had a skinny backup center, Ron Taylor, at the time.  He seemed like good guy so some buddies and I started a Ron Taylor fan club (unbeknownst to him).  We would holler at Cip to give the guy more playing time.   Good times.  My first games were with my Dad hauling us down to the old coliseum where I saw Stu Lantz, Chalk (beating KU), Scantlebury, Jura, Gratopp, et al.  One opponent in particular caught my eye - Cliff Meely (CU). That guy could fill it up.  

2 hours ago, InLikeFlint said:

Going back to Norm’s original post, I was a student at the game when Fort lost his contact lens. NU had a skinny backup center, Ron Taylor, at the time.  He seemed like good guy so some buddies and I started a Ron Taylor fan club (unbeknownst to him).  We would holler at Cip to give the guy more playing time.   Good times.  My first games were with my Dad hauling us down to the old coliseum where I saw Stu Lantz, Chalk (beating KU), Scantlebury, Jura, Gratopp, et al.  One opponent in particular caught my eye - Cliff Meely (CU). That guy could fill it up.  

There was more than one game where Fort lost a contact lens. I know I went to at least two of them. It was kinda funny. It was like "oh no, not again."

4 hours ago, InLikeFlint said:

Ahh, Cliff Meely  brings back memories of CU Coach Sox Walseth.  Two of my favorite players on opponents were John Brown and Al Everhard for Stormin’ Norman’s Missouri Tigers.  

Is it just me, or did we hate on coaches and players more, when we were members of the Big XII.  Norm, Tubbs, Orr, Sutton, and numerous players were downright ripped apart by our fan base.   Today, I see more respect then venom...

Ahh, maybe it is just an age thing.

6 hours ago, royalfan said:

I started getting into Husker Hoops the year we lost to Western Kentucky.  Money was tight for my folks back then so we didnt have the proper channel to watch it at home or maybe needed satty.  Anyway, dad got us a room at Ken's motel in Aurora to go watch that one,  That is my first real memory of Husker Hoops.  

That's interesting, dude. Never knew you watched a Nebrasketball game at Ken's to get hooked. Isn't that awesome what lengths our dads will go to "make it happen" for their kid? Love that tale... GBR Always.

Here's the 1st half of the Cornhuskers 1st ever NCAA appearance: 

Edited by AuroranHusker

20 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Is it just me, or did we hate on coaches and players more, when we were members of the Big XII.  Norm, Tubbs, Orr, Sutton, and numerous players were downright ripped apart by our fan base.   Today, I see more respect then venom...

Ahh, maybe it is just an age thing.

Anyone remember Ron Foul and Check from Iowa State? Or the time students threw water pistols on the court at Stipanovich or hot dogs at a player from Kansas State? And how about the "sit down Norm" signs? I also recall Norm running off the court at Allen Fieldhouse flipping the double bird to the fans after an (infrequent) upset there. Yes, those were the days.