uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 29- Ohio State

9 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Who knows, Ohio St. might still believe they can get hot in Minneapolis to grab an auto-bid to the Big Dance. It was the perfect storm for Battle, too, he's waning in his college career so he showed out. If nothing else, the Bucks are an N.I.T. squad, along with Iowa & Minny, likely as well. Those 3 B1G teams all have 17 wins. On to the next, RU on Sun.

OSU has Michigan and @Rutgers to end it.  They win those two and then Wed/Thu in Minny, that Friday game becomes Huge!  Win that Friday game and they’re at 22 wins and Dayton is a distinct possibility.

They’ve certainly got some work to do with their metrics, but winning 6 in a row would help those immensely.

25 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

OSU has Michigan and @Rutgers to end it.  They win those two and then Wed/Thu in Minny, that Friday game becomes Huge!  Win that Friday game and they’re at 22 wins and Dayton is a distinct possibility.

They’ve certainly got some work to do with their metrics, but winning 6 in a row would help those immensely.

Yeah, they have real life for dancin' by winning the BTT, crazy to think how poorly they schemed their personnel with Holtmann yet now Diebler has pushed all the right buttons. Maybe Diebler gets hired full-time so McDumass stays in Omaha....

Edited by AuroranHusker

11 hours ago, TZAHL said:

Officiating didn’t lose us this game. They let us play physical defense. We shot poorly and any time we had a chance in the first half to put some distance between us we missed key shots.  Had numerous chances to tie or take the lead in the second half and missed some good looks and they answered with some tough makes. They had a lot of transition points off of really great looks we had. You’re not gonna win when you shoot 38% on the road and the other team shoots 40% from 3. We missed a lot of shots close to the rim and they got some timely offensive rebounds. We ended up with shorter guards on Battle and he hit some tightly guarded 3s against smaller players.  We did okay on the glass. They were money from the line. Overall I thought we played decent.  Sometimes it’s a make or miss game.  It’s not always poor officiating and it is deflection from the reality of not being the better team tonight. 

Yeah. There were lots of reasons we lost. I didn't complain about having to play a road game, but that was certainly a factor. As was the fact that we were uncharacteristically off-the-mark in shooting last night, more or less team-wide.

I didn't see the point in complaining about playing on the road because that's how scheduling works. I didn't complain about our poor shooting because sometimes a team will have an off night. It just happens.

I did complain about officiating because that's a human factor within someone's control. Something that could be fixed by someone if they cared to do so. The coaches are going to work on fixing our shooting and our shot selection. The schedule will take care of whether we get to play our next game at home.

But absofuckinglutely no one is going to deal with the characteristically bad officiating in the Big Ten conference, because the conference protects the officials from being called out by coaches and players. They can suck and they're never going to hear about it. They have a monopoly and they don't have to be good.

We're not the only ones who complain about Big Ten refs, by the way. I've seen fans of other Big Ten programs declare that Big Ten officiating is a national embarrassment. From what I've seen, I can't argue that conclusion. And I worry about what will happen when league teams have to adjust to refs from other conferences when they play in the NCAA tourney.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That's kind of a statistical outlier, no?

That's actually less than 2% of all D1 programs that can say they've been whistled for >10+ fouls than an opponent at least 3 times this season.

That's more than 2 standard deviations from the mean. Which tells me I'm not just imagining things.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yeah. There were lots of reasons we lost. I didn't complain about having to play a road game, but that was certainly a factor. As was the fact that we were uncharacteristically off-the-mark in shooting last night, more or less team-wide.

I didn't see the point in complaining about playing on the road because that's how scheduling works. I didn't complain about our poor shooting because sometimes a team will have an off night. It just happens.

I did complain about officiating because that's a human factor within someone's control. Something that could be fixed by someone if they cared to do so. The coaches are going to work on fixing our shooting and our shot selection. The schedule will take care of whether we get to play our next game at home.

But absofuckinglutely no one is going to deal with the characteristically bad officiating in the Big Ten conference, because the conference protects the officials from being called out by coaches and players. They can suck and they're never going to hear about it. They have a monopoly and they don't have to be good.

We're not the only ones who complain about Big Ten refs, by the way. I've seen fans of other Big Ten programs declare that Big Ten officiating is a national embarrassment. From what I've seen, I can't argue that conclusion. And I worry about what will happen when league teams have to adjust to refs from other conferences when they play in the NCAA tourney.

And the last line is why it freakin' matters, the Big Ten usually sucks in March Madness because the B1G refs protect their own during the regular season, and Nebraska is forever a Jr. Member of the Big Ten, they ain't one being protected. Coming up in the Big Dance, the other conference refs will do a better job protecting NU than any of these conference's God-forsaken officiating's proven to be.

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

That's actually less than 2% of all D1 programs that can say they've been whistled for >10+ fouls than an opponent at least 3 times this season.

That's more than 2 standard deviations from the mean. Which tells me I'm not just imagining things.

The amazing part is that Nebraska won that one at the Octagon of Purpleness. And that is a sad discourse.

Sheesh Louise. If Nebraska had a block 'M' on their uniforms, they'd likely be the beneficiary of these poorly officiated contests instead of being the whipping boy.

Didn't get to watch much before having to get to work, but from the box, my first thoughts on how we could've lost this:

Outrebounded by 10, but that's kinda part of our reality and didn't seem egregious. Didn't include any Oreb.

And second, and this one has me steaming: looks like we got screwed by some home whistles on the FT disparity, and badly! Ffs, 28 - 7 free throws? That's ridiculous. Not like I haven't seen it before though.

Looking at the score later I just assumed we lost one on the road, which is the norm in this conference, you're not gonna lose a ton in resume from this but that doesn't make it hurt me less. Ugh.

GBR see yall in Sunday ❤️

12 hours ago, TZAHL said:

You can’t expect to shoot more free throws every time when you jack up 3s at a league leading rate. 

I noticed a lot of the fouls being called against us were on rebounds, not on shots. Also, making contact while diving for loose balls is a no-call on Battle and a foul on Bryce. Pushing off is an offensive foul when the offensive player is Jamarques Lawrence. But it's a defensive foul when the guy with the ball is someone from Ohio State. When we attacked on the dribble, they allowed a lot of contact. Or called Bryce for a charge when the defensive player leaned into him on a Euro-step move. Mystery blocking fouls on the other end. I mean, I could go on. But it's tough to attack the rim when all the calls are going one way.

Edited by Norm Peterson

17 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And the last line is why it freakin' matters, the Big Ten usually sucks in March Madness because the B1G refs protect their own during the regular season, and Nebraska is forever a Jr. Member of the Big Ten, they ain't one being protected. Coming up in the Big Dance, the other conference refs will do a better job protecting NU than any of these conference's God-forsaken officiating's proven to be.

Maybe Keisei will finally get some calls...  He gets grabbed constantly.

Edited by cozrulz

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

I noticed a lot of the fouls being called against us were on rebounds, not on shots. Also, making contact while diving for loose balls is a no-call on Battle and a foul on Bryce. Pushing off is an offensive foul when the offensive player is Jamarques Lawrence. But it's a defensive foul when the guy with the ball is someone from Ohio State. I mean, I could go on. 

It was truly egregious.

Those calls you mentioned all changed who won the game. Add to that, OSU got a lot of crap, bush-league FTAs, but then NU would try to drive in & there's crickets. It's no wonder NU tended to shoot more outside shots, because going to the rim amounted to nothin'! Even Juwan Gary's poster dunk, he was clearly fouled & no call. Keisei was mauled all night, maybe had 1 foul called on OSU. It's not even digging in to the minute details of it to see it was shitty.

5 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We didn't have an answer to their run which wasn't as noticeable since it was a halftime sandwich

image.png

Played really good D coming out of half too and couldn’t hit water if we fell

out of a boat while playing that good D.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Every conference thinks that their refs are the worst

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yeah, they have real life for dancin' by winning the BTT, crazy to think how poorly they schemed their personnel with Holtmann yet now Diebler has pushed all the right buttons. Maybe Diebler gets hired full-time so McDumass stays in Omaha....

They were a pretty good team with Holtmann too, I thought. They had a bad stretch, like we and just about everyone else has had. But in the non-con they beat - all on neutral courts - Alabama (by double digits), UCLA, West Virginia and a solid Santa Clara team by 30. In conference they lost 3 or 4 games by one possession. Flip a couple of those possessions in Ohio State’s favor and Holtmann doesn’t get fired and they’re a tourney team all along. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Damn it, no one said there would be math.

15 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

From UNL

*-Nebraska hit 10 3-pointers tonight, and now has 274 3-pointers on the season. That broke the school record of 270 set in 2018-19. NU falls to 10-5 when hitting at least 10 3-pointers

We also broke the conference record for 3s set in 2001-02 last night.