Northwestern post game chatter

Bugeaters1

It's about time Wiliams has figured out that Nissley needs to start. That kid can shoot. Nissley played 20 minutes and scores 12 in the first half.  Moriarity get 20 minutes and Krull gets 12 minutes and combine for 0 points.  Others teams know to not worry about those 2 as far as scoring goes. All and all the team did what they were supposed to do, beat a bad team convincingly .  Hope they keep it up.

It's about time Wiliams has figured out that Nissley needs to start. That kid can shoot. Nissley played 20 minutes and scores 12 in the first half.  Moriarity get 20 minutes and Krull gets 12 minutes and combine for 0 points.  Others teams know to not worry about those 2 as far as scoring goes. All and all the team did what they were supposed to do, beat a bad team convincingly .  Hope they keep it up.
During the broadcast, Matt said that Nissley has had feet problems, and she is finally getting healthy

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

During the broadcast, That Nissley has had feet problems, and she is finally getting healthy

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly she had both feet operated on during her junior season and never quite got fully healed or back in top playing shape during her senior season.  Maybe with NU'S training staff she is now OK.  She was hot as a firecracker the first half and is playing a lot more of a complete game.  She also is a good rebounder.

Nice beat down.  I was very near the Northwestern bench and they had no answer.  Other than berated the referees continuously and his players on occasion, the NW coach was useless. 

Nice win with everyone contributing.   I want to give a special shout out to Moriarty.   She works her a** off on the court.  She gets little credit, but she deserves kudos.

33 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Nice win with everyone contributing.   I want to give a special shout out to Moriarty.   She works her a** off on the court.  She gets little credit, but she deserves kudos.

Interesting observation.   I was going to mention that she flat-lined on the stat sheet.  In 20 minutes, 0 points and 0 rebounds (and 1 assist, 2 turnovers).  But you were there, I wasn't, and I trust your judgment.  

6 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

So one poster said Moriarity is worthless while another said she was fantastic. I am so confused. 

Ha! Good point. 
I would never say she is worthless. I would only say that so far in her NU career, she has underachieved given the skills and physical tools that she possesses. 

2 minutes ago, Neb Nets said:

Ha! Good point. 
I would never say she is worthless. I would only say that so far in her NU career, she has underachieved given the skills and physical tools that she possesses. 

She did have a couple 3-point attempts from the corner.  Both shots missed; but her form was spot on and both shots were in and out.  

I am not going to say her offense is stellar.   I do believe her drives to the basket and her passing is above average while her outside shot passes the eye test.

Where she excells is on the defensive end and her team first attitude.   Oftentimes we only look at the stat line and judge a players performance on those numbers.  But for a team to be successful, you need teammates that do the grimey work that draws much less attention. 

An enjoyable game to watch.  Team blocked out all outside noise, and did their thing.  10+ minutes playing time across the board. Everyone contributed.  Other than the last couple minutes of the Iowa game (and postgame activity), this was as much fun to view as any this year.   Always satisfying when the players are smiling.

35 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

So one poster said Moriarity is worthless while another said she was fantastic. I am so confused. 

She’s not a stat sheet filler by any means, but it appears she does the little things right.  She picks her times to try and shoot/create on offense.  However, it doesn’t appear she is a “gotta have mine” type of player.

These types of players can typically have varying views because you can look at a box score and see that they played 20 minutes and had 0 points or 0 rebounds, etc.

I think every team needs a KM.  She kind of reminds me of a Josiah Allick/Sammy H from the men’s team.

21 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

She’s not a stat sheet filler by any means, but it appears she does the little things right.  She picks her times to try and shoot/create on offense.  However, it doesn’t appear she is a “gotta have mine” type of player.

These types of players can typically have varying views because you can look at a box score and see that they played 20 minutes and had 0 points or 0 rebounds, etc.

I think every team needs a KM.  She kind of reminds me of a Josiah Allick/Sammy H from the men’s team.

Krull also contributes without filling up the stat sheet.  Tough kid, gets after it.  Stewart also showed a willingness to mix it up.  Coley has played under control the last couple of games too.  She wasn't looking for a shot, but took good care of the ball.  We had an impressive 'team' take the floor last night.  I know, Northwestern has only won 3 league games, but still, an impressive outing.

it's probably  mentioned before...but with the complete change over in assistant coaches in the last couple of years, we see improvement in many players. 

Players appear to be more relaxed, at the same time play hard,  more freely, and not afraid to  make mistakes. Trying new things and play hard. 

Sure a couple of stinker games, but they're the exception rather than the rule this year.

Team chemistry is everything

5 minutes ago, redsteve said:

it's probably  mentioned before...but with the complete change over in assistant coaches in the last couple of years, we see improvement in many players. 

Players appear to be more relaxed, at the same time play hard,  more freely, and not afraid to  make mistakes. Trying new things and play hard. 

Sure a couple of stinker games, but they're the exception rather than the rule this year.

Solid point about both the men's and women's teams, since Trev was hired the pool of assistants at NU has improved dramatically to allow those two head coaches to have a complete roster of coaching talent & acumen. Love to see how this entire athletic department appears to be all moving forward with a lot of a positive momentum.

21 minutes ago, redsteve said:

I couldn't agree more. We clearly play the best when we are playing together as a team. Last night we had great chemistry. I hope it continues.