2024 Portal Watch

6 minutes ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

Mesh had a healthy junior season.  Like 8pts, 7rbs, 1.5blks per game.

He’s no slouch.  Good athlete at that height too.  Altered shots don’t show up on the stat sheet but they matter big time.  

Here’s the Washington official bio for his healthy/junior season:

2022-23 (JUNIOR): Named to Pac-12 All-Defensive Team after averaging 1.6 blocks per game which ranked in the league's top-10 ... league-leading 70.6% shooting ... Started all 31 games he played, making his first collegiate start in the opener against Weber State (11/7/22) ... then career-high 18 points against Seattle U (11/28/22) on 7-for-7 shooting, becoming the first Husky to make all seven field goal attempts in a game since Marquese Chriss in 2016 ... career-high six blocks against Cal Poly (12/13/22) ... career-high 21 points against Stanford (1/12/23) to go with 9 rebounds and 5 blocks ... career-high 12 rebounds in first career double-double at Colorado (1/19/23) ... three games with five or more blocks

30 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

Here’s the Washington official bio for his healthy/junior season:

2022-23 (JUNIOR): Named to Pac-12 All-Defensive Team after averaging 1.6 blocks per game which ranked in the league's top-10 ... league-leading 70.6% shooting ... Started all 31 games he played, making his first collegiate start in the opener against Weber State (11/7/22) ... then career-high 18 points against Seattle U (11/28/22) on 7-for-7 shooting, becoming the first Husky to make all seven field goal attempts in a game since Marquese Chriss in 2016 ... career-high six blocks against Cal Poly (12/13/22) ... career-high 21 points against Stanford (1/12/23) to go with 9 rebounds and 5 blocks ... career-high 12 rebounds in first career double-double at Colorado (1/19/23) ... three games with five or more blocks

Saw he had a nagging ankle injury last season too.  This guy is ours to lose 😂

Meah as a shot blocker/high conversion center with zero range nor likely passing ability makes a lot more sense on a team that has PGs, which is us next year. 

His efficiency numbers are good; his foul rate is high. Not sure if we can get big minutes if we run pace.

If we land him hopefully a guy we can wheel out when we need rebounds.

3 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

Isn’t that what Morgan is for?

Having watched the 08-09 season and the 19-20 season I'm ok with some added depth in the front court. Heck if Keita had been able to play last year you would have had more flexibility from the 4 and 5 positions. Think back to the 22-23 when Keita and Walker got on the floor at the same time. Now just picture it with Mast and Meah. It should help make us a better defensive team

24 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

Is it me, or are we going backward with our recruiting? 

I think it’s just you.  Maybe it’s the fact that we lost some guys?  Maybe it’s that you see us as trying to replace the guys we’re losing with guys that exactly replicate them?  Maybe you’re thinking we should have gotten every big transfer on the market?

Would be interested to know why you feel we’re going backwards with what we’ve gotten?

26 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

Didn’t Bridenbach take his place last year at Washington. Is it me, or are we going backward with our recruiting? No wonder we  only make the tournament every 10 years. So much for using our momentem qualifying for tourney.

Seems like a big over reaction. What if this guy and Morgan are replacements for Blaise and Diop? That would be a giant upgrade. Let’s see who they get to replace Josiah and go from there. Then if Mast is healthy we would have a really deep roster across the board.

14 minutes ago, rwhiston said:

Having watched the 08-09 season and the 19-20 season I'm ok with some added depth in the front court. Heck if Keita had been able to play last year you would have had more flexibility from the 4 and 5 positions. Think back to the 22-23 when Keita and Walker got on the floor at the same time. Now just picture it with Mast and Meah. It should help make us a better defensive team

Speaking of the 4 position, do we have anyone that will play that position? If it’s Morgan, we’re toast.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

Seems like a big over reaction. What if this guy and Morgan are replacements for Blaise and Diop? That would be a giant upgrade. Let’s see who they get to replace Josiah and go from there. Then if Mast is healthy we would have a really deep roster across the board.

Initially, I was using that same rationale , but  that only goes so far. Rollie replacing Lloyd who never played a game doesn’t get me that excited.

6 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

Speaking of the 4 position, do we have anyone that will play that position? If it’s Morgan, we’re toast.

FWIW, Rivals has Morgan rated above guys like Pharrell Payne, Eddie Lampkin Jr, and Baba Miller. If Rivals knows anything at all then Morgan should be solid. Regarding Meah, we need depth in the front court. I'd be satisfied with Morgan, Igor/Mast, and Meah. But then again I'm just an old fat guy sitting on his couch.

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think it’s just you.  Maybe it’s the fact that we lost some guys?  Maybe it’s that you see us as trying to replace the guys we’re losing with guys that exactly replicate them?  Maybe you’re thinking we should have gotten every big transfer on the market?

Would be interested to know why you feel we’re going backwards with what we’ve gotten?

Maybe one would have been nice.

By the way, Mast, Williams,, Alicks, Coleman, Griesel, Gary,  and Bandoumel were not big time transfers. I understand Fred’s plan to get guys that fit our culture, but it would be nice to get top transfer once in a blue moon.

6 minutes ago, LincecumFan said:

FWIW, Rivals has Morgan rated above guys like Pharrell Payne, Eddie Lampkin Jr, and Baba Miller. If Rivals knows anything at all then Morgan should be solid. Regarding Meah, we need depth in the front court. I'd be satisfied with Morgan, Igor/Mast, and Meah. But then again I'm just an old fat guy sitting on his couch.

From one old, fat guy to another, not many on this very board would be happy with a Morgan/Meah as our starting 4/5.

9 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

Maybe one would have been nice.

By the way, Mast, Williams,, Alicks, Coleman, Griesel, Gary,  and Bandoumel were not big time transfers. I understand Fred’s plan to get guys that fit our culture, but it would be nice to get top transfer once in a blue moon.

Once in a blue moon or right after our first tourney appearance in a decade? Which were you expecting?

12 minutes ago, huskercabby said:

From one old, fat guy to another, not many on this very board would be happy with a Morgan/Meah as our starting 4/5.

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. What I meant was that Morgan and Igor/Mast would be the starting 4/5, with Meah coming in off the bench for defense, rebounding, and general rim protection. I know everyone on this board wanted WK3rd, but that ain't gonna happen. And there isn't a lot of news on an alternate plan other than Amos and Meah. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.