Games Of Note/Bubble Watch 2024

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

When do we need to start adding Wisconsin to this thread? :lol:

Amazing that 8-1 Wisky was in 1st place, then they lost 5 of 6, albeit the 1 win was the last game for OSU's Chris Holtmann, but I digress. Wisky is in the hemorrhaging mode, at 9-6, while our NU is 8-7. That's weird & wild stuff!

15 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Honestly, the longer we go into the season, the more this thread is feeling like it’s moot!  We control our own destiny.  We don’t “need” to follow other bubble teams just yet and should we do what we need to, we won’t have to.

We have the big wins we didn't have in 17-18

I was listening to some pundits talk about the bubble teams and one of them articulated it well in my opinion.

He basically said that all bubble teams are exactly that. Bubble teams. Every single one of them have a reason to be left out of the tournament. That's why they're bubble teams. The ones that stand out are the ones who have reasons to be IN the tournament. They all have flaws, but the ones that have a reason to be in the tournament are the ones that have quality wins on the resume.

We are that team. Just need to do some work to avoid or minimize the bad losses.

43 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I was listening to some pundits talk about the bubble teams and one of them articulated it well in my opinion.

He basically said that all bubble teams are exactly that. Bubble teams. Every single one of them have a reason to be left out of the tournament. That's why they're bubble teams. The ones that stand out are the ones who have reasons to be IN the tournament. They all have flaws, but the ones that have a reason to be in the tournament are the ones that have quality wins on the resume.

We are that team. Just need to do some work to avoid or minimize the bad losses.

I think our fans are overrating our quality wins. Yes, the Purdue win stands out, though like it or not it comes with an asterisk of being at home.

Beyond that our best wins are average or even mediocre when compared to other bubble teams’ best wins. Most bubble teams have a great road win or two, which trumps our home wins vs Michigan State and Wisconsin. The committee loves to reference a team’s ability to win away from home. Unfortunately that’s a major knock against us unless we turn that statistic around these next few weeks.

I still think the target is pretty simple: 21 wins to feel decent; 22 to feel comfortably in.

19 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I think our fans are overrating our quality wins. Yes, the Purdue win stands out, though like it or not it comes with an asterisk of being at home.

Beyond that our best wins are average or even mediocre when compared to other bubble teams’ best wins. Most bubble teams have a great road win or two, which trumps our home wins vs Michigan State and Wisconsin. The committee loves to reference a team’s ability to win away from home. Unfortunately that’s a major knock against us unless we turn that statistic around these next few weeks.

I still think the target is pretty simple: 21 wins to feel decent; 22 to feel comfortably in.

Yeah that's what makes the Rutgers and Illinois games hurt so much.  We are a whisper away from 20-6 right now and feeling pretty comfortable.

Road wins can apparently really shoot you up the NET rankings. I was looking at teams near us and McNeese State shot up by 15 spots this week with road wins against #354 and #267. They were absolute blowouts, but I imagine top 125 wins on the road by normal margins would could do wonders as well. If we snag two I think we could get off the bubble in the right direction, regardless of the B1G ten tourney results.

1 hour ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

That's still the difference between 2017-18 and now though if you're referencing my post; that would have been enough quality wins to get the 2017-18 team into the tourney and it's the reason none of us are watching FAMU games.

7 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That's still the difference between 2017-18 and now though if you're referencing my post; that would have been enough quality wins to get the 2017-18 team into the tourney and it's the reason none of us are watching FAMU games.

I guess I’m not totally clear on what your point is. Yes, our resume right now is definitely better than 2018. We have six wins in Q1+Q2 compared to only one in 2018. That doesn’t mean it’s good enough to get in. Our 2018 team wasn’t even close to making it, nor should it have been.

10 minutes ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

I guess I’m not totally clear on what your point is. Yes, our resume right now is definitely better than 2018. We have six wins in Q1+Q2 compared to only one in 2018. That doesn’t mean it’s good enough to get in. Our 2018 team wasn’t even close to making it, nor should it have been.

At the end of the day I'm on the same page that winning 21+ games should do the trick 

Didn’t get a full update out today but watch

FAU @ South Florida (didn’t realize that USF led that conference and they are a potential bid stealer.

Murray St @ Drake (could use drake to have another L

Northwestern @ Indiana (a NW loss puts us in a tie in the standings and may move us closer to them in bubble standings too)

Memphis @ SMU (Need to continue to see Memphis downfall

Seton Hall @ St John’s (ultimate bubble game)

Rutgers @ Minny (some are back on the Rutgers bandwagon)

Utah @ UCLA (UCLA is hot and Utah is not so a Utah loss knocks them down even more)

Nice W for Northwestern. Our home win vs them is on the verge of becoming Q2A, which is NET 31-55. They’re 59 as of this morning. It’d be helpful if they can finish strong and solidify themselves as a 6 or 7 seed.

The loss for Indiana should contribute towards a less daunting environment for us Wednesday too.

To put road wins in perspective: There are currently 11 Big Ten conference teams with at least TWO conference road wins. Even Michigan has one.

Only tOSU and we have none.

Came close twice. Got blown out the other times. We have 3 more chances to pull the rabbit out of the hat and nab that elusive conference road win. It'd be nice to grab two.