OT: A Sad Day

cipsucks

6 hours ago, cipsucks said:

You have eclectic taste. First Mandisa and now an engineer from Nirvana.  Who am I to talk.  I like Bach and the Beatles.

Over the past two weeks I've seen Greta Van Fleet, Staind, and tonight, Lauren Daigle.  Monday night I will see Cake at the Pinewood Bowl.  A number of great acts will be there over the next several weeks.  😀  There aren't many music genres that I don't enjoy.

The Turtles were one of the most fun groups of the late sixties.  Today, their drummer, John Barbata, passed at the age of 79.  He was also drummer for Jefferson Starship.  He played drums on "Miracles" which is one of my favorite Jefferson Starship songs.  He was given songwriting credits for the Turtles hit "Elenore".  Looks like he's having fun.  RIP!

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Ingle, founding member and lead singer of Iron Butterfly passed yesterday. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was a classic.  Of course, that 17+ minute song took up an entire side of the LP. There were decent songs on the other side. Most Anything You Want was pretty good. So, too, was Flowers and Beads. RIP.

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

Doug Ingle, founding member and lead singer of Iron Butterfly passed yesterday. In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida was a classic.  Of course, that 17+ minute song took up an entire side of the LP. There were decent songs on the other side. Most Anything You Want was pretty good. So, too, was Flowers and Beads. RIP.

I danced to In a Gadda Da Vida (long version) once in high school. Ran out of moves at about the 4:10 mark.

If I recall the story about Wooden and Walton's hair correctly, it was a classic. 

Walton was a true hippie and showed up for a pre-season workout with his hair grown out.  Walton knew Wooden would seethe about it; but thought he could somehow get by with it.  After the session, Wooden approached Walton and before Wooden could say a word, Walton went on a long-winded explanation as to why it was important to keep his hair long.  Instead of debating the subject, Wooden simply replied, "You are right Bill, you should keep your long hair" and walked away.  Walton was ecstatic, he won his right to have long hair.

The next day Walton came to the workout and was greeted in the locker room by Coach Wooden.  Walton had a big ol smile on his face UNTIL...Wooden asked him what he was doing at the practice.  Walton looked incredulous, and fumbled out that he was there for the team workout!  Wooden simply responded that Bill misunderstood his response from yesterday.  Then Wooden calmly said, "Bill, I respect and support your individual rights and your desire to keep your hair long.  However, this is a team, and this team must be cohesive and it does have rules that all members of the team must adhere to, and one of the rules is to maintain short hair.  So Bill, life is full of choices.  I can certainly understand and respect your individual right to maintain your long hair as a citizen of this great country.  Or you can cut your darn hair and remain a member of this team.  Your call." 

Walton left and got his hair cut.