Ioa post game chatter

Bugeaters1

I was concerned Clark would run us out of the arena but she didn’t.  They have a superstar player - without her they’re pretty pedestrian.  Can’t say the same about us - looks like our team has finally come together offensively and defensively.  A number of players can step up any time and they do.  Proud of them.

Really, really proud of this team and their efforts today and throughout the tourney!!  Obviously needed to make a couple more plays in reg. or overtime to get this one.  They are really hurt and disappointed in the locker room, but they have shown what kind of team they are and can be!  I hope this shows talented young women bb players out there that NU has a fun, exciting team that is on the rise.  Come play for Nebraska!!!  GBR!!  🌽🏀🤩

11 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Well we didn't get boat raced. hopefully our seeding will go up.

I hope so too.  It ought to!  We finished strong and I think deserve a 7 seed.  But the committee may look at the overall losses and leave us in the 8/9 bracket.  Hope not.

Alexis Markowski led the Huskers with 23 points and 13 rebounds. This was her 19th double-double this season and 40th career double-double to tie for the most in Husker history.

Freshman Natalie Potts had 21 points and nine rebounds.

Jaz Shelley also had a double-double with 16 points and 13 assists. Shelley’s 18 three-pointers broke the record for most threes in a single Big Ten Tournament.

Both Markowski and Shelley were All-Big Ten Tournament team selections.

Next, the Huskers will find out their NCAA Tournament seed and placement during the NCAA Selection Show on Sunday, March 17.

Edited by redsteve

18 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I was concerned Clark would run us out of the arena but she didn’t.  They have a superstar player - without her they’re pretty pedestrian.  Can’t say the same about us - looks like our team has finally come together offensively and defensively.  A number of players can step up any time and they do.  Proud of them.

Totally agree with you! Like I said before we played them in Lincoln last month, you take their best player off their team and take our best player (Jaz) off of our team, and we played each other straight up? I bet we beat them 3 outta 4 times. 

Lots to digest here.  We played much better than I expected and showed much more heart than I expected.  My son me athalf and asked what I thought.  I told him we're ahead, but as soon as Iowa makes run we won't have legs enough to respond having played one more game.  Somehow we just did respond and very well.  If Iowa didn't own the crowd I think we'd have won.  In over time we played well, I think Iowa leaned into their experience and just had to big of a gap.  Playing bigger games, playing under more pressure etc....

The thing I really hated was my same gripe, they just won't let us play physical on the blocks and they allow our opponents to do so.

Bottom line I applaud the women on a great effort and a great tournament 

So proud of the way Amy and the players performed the last 4 days...they were so close to finishing this one in regulation. But Clark is a once-in-a-lifetime talent and she and the supporting cast made some excellent plays to take it to overtime. 

I hope we can make a run in the NCAAs - I really like what the team showed this weekend and if they can replicate that, I think they're gonna be a favorite in the first round game and could scare a #1-3 seed in the second game.

Peaking forward to next year: I sure wish we had another year of eligibility for Jaz, but I'm feeling more optimistic about next year (and the program) with every clutch play we see from players like Hake and Nissley. Potts and Markowski are phenomenal, and I can't wait to see how their games continue to grow. No one player will be able to replace Jaz, but the idea of Prince & Hake running the offense, dishing to Nissley outside and Potts/Markowski inside (plus hopefully continued improvement by Coley/Moriarty/Petrie and another freshman surprise in Amiah Hargrove) is looking promising.

I am bummed I didn't get to watch this as i was coaching volleyball. .. but I am totally pumped that they did what they did again today to Iowa... teams in the tournament need to watch what we have done to them beat and almost beat twice. Would love to see a quick out for them.  

My favorite thing about today is that they were literally crapping their pants so bad that every one got to see how big of a biotch Clark really is on national TV... she is a hell of a player but I would hope my daughter is a little more humble and good at the same time.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I am bummed I didn't get to watch this as i was coaching volleyball. .. but I am totally pumped that they did what they did again today to Iowa... teams in the tournament need to watch what we have done to them beat and almost beat twice. Would love to see a quick out for them.  

My favorite thing about today is that they were literally crapping their pants so bad that every one got to see how big of a biotch Clark really is on national TV... she is a hell of a player but I would hope my daughter is a little more humble and good at the same time.  

You forgot to include Blunder in that comment. She was throwing her hands up everytime Ioa had the ball and no foul was called. Also the bench players bitched about every no call.

Edited by Bugeaters1

3 hours ago, HuskerFan86 said:

So proud of the way Amy and the players performed the last 4 days...they were so close to finishing this one in regulation. But Clark is a once-in-a-lifetime talent and she and the supporting cast made some excellent plays to take it to overtime. 

I hope we can make a run in the NCAAs - I really like what the team showed this weekend and if they can replicate that, I think they're gonna be a favorite in the first round game and could scare a #1-3 seed in the second game.

Peaking forward to next year: I sure wish we had another year of eligibility for Jaz, but I'm feeling more optimistic about next year (and the program) with every clutch play we see from players like Hake and Nissley. Potts and Markowski are phenomenal, and I can't wait to see how their games continue to grow. No one player will be able to replace Jaz, but the idea of Prince & Hake running the offense, dishing to Nissley outside and Potts/Markowski inside (plus hopefully continued improvement by Coley/Moriarty/Petrie and another freshman surprise in Amiah Hargrove) is looking promising.

Been thinking about this for quite  a while and agree.

On the one hand we loose our best floor general in decades. On the other we're pretty well set for next year. How quickly the new freshman adapt to bigger and faster competition, may be the difference on how we develop. 

Potts was in the mix very soon this year, Nissley took about the first 10 games to get into the flow (but that's pretty quick) 

We'll be even stronger inside with Markowski, and Potts.... having a full season (and winter ) before her sophomore season, to make even bigger contributions. Expect her to really excel next year.

Plus a freshman and I like Pertie inside ..and the freshman at the 4 possibly...(she too had this year to get the feel....and she has some good moves and can shoot.

Hake is a capable point now. She's come along way this year.   And Prince of course, but how fast can she adjust to college from class B high school play? Very quick I hope.

Lots of time to hash this over until next season.....really optimistic for next year.

Edited by redsteve

Watching some of these halftime recaps for the day and they're just showing Caitlin Clark walk into the stadium high-fiving people, then showing the final basket to tie the game and take it to OT. Then fast forwards to Iowa winning the title.

Pretty disingenuous for Nebraska, and even the other Iowa players, if you ask me.