ILLINOIS GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Noticed from the stats we won the rebounding battle 45-29 which is pretty dominate. And we also only had 11 fouls.

So it was getting the ball through the hoop was our biggest problem...34%. Most times you lose at poor shooting like that.

Funky game where we just were out of sync a lot.

A win is a win.... is a win

A layup!  A layup!  My kingdom for a layup!

As already stated, an ugly win is better than a loss, ugly or otherwise.  Great work on the boards.  Big moment was Shelley getting the call and making the 2 FTs late - looked like a clean block.

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

If Markowski had made 2/3 of her short shots we are up big. Yikes

She's usually pretty good, but she needs to stop with the fadeaways. If she goes up strong, she will live at the FT line. Onward and upward. Alexis did have 14 points and 15 rebounds, so that's her 31st double-double. GBR

We shot 33.9% and had 16 turnovers and still won some how.  It looked like poor shooting was a contagion.  Miss White missed 3 open layups, Miss Nissely missed 2 of the more open 3's she's gong to have this year, AM's issues have been well enough documented above and Miss Potts only hit 3 of 10.  All I can say is way not to let an off night shooting destroy your grit ladies.  Regardless it's still a real nice win.

2 hours ago, caveman said:

We shot 33.9% and had 16 turnovers and still won some how.  It looked like poor shooting was a contagion.  Miss White missed 3 open layups, Miss Nissely missed 2 of the more open 3's she's gong to have this year, AM's issues have been well enough documented above and Miss Potts only hit 3 of 10.  All I can say is way not to let an off night shooting destroy your grit ladies.  Regardless it's still a real nice win.

I thought Illinois defended well on the perimeter.  We didn’t get many good looks which contributed to our poor shooting.

4 hours ago, caveman said:

rebounding (45 to 29) saved us from poor shooting and too many turnovers.   

Since everybody seems to dislike Maddie Krull, I will say she is the reason we won this game. Check out the +/- if you don't believe me.  Best defender on the team, quietly does the dirty work and gives us offense when she can. Good job Maddie. 
Not everyone, a couple of is understand.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

I was at the game. There were enough people there to make a little more noise but apparently we were all in the frigid mood like our shooting.  I did set a personal vertical leap from my seat when Coley missed her point blank nobody on me layup for the second game in a row.  She did play pretty good defense when she was in there.  Potts not fouling out was important.  I think our defense is good enough to slow down Minnesota's hitting threes a little  but we will need to really be on in hitting ours to win this game.