2023-2024 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

15 minutes ago, HuskerActuary said:

I haven't dug in to BartTorvik too much yet this season, but it's odd to me how he's projecting a 7 seed for a 21-10 record in a year when the Big Ten is down. Something doesn't add up there for me.

FWIW Lunardi’s latest Bracketology still had six Big Ten teams in and two more in the first 5 out.

1 hour ago, HuskerActuary said:

I haven't dug in to BartTorvik too much yet this season, but it's odd to me how he's projecting a 7 seed for a 21-10 record in a year when the Big Ten is down. Something doesn't add up there for me.

Big Ten may be down a little but it’s probably somewhere in the middle

of the massive freak out we had early and a normal year.  We’ve actually had a really good couple of weeks as a conference after a horrible start.  It’s kind of evened itself out with some really nice wins.

2 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

If I've learned nothing else over the last 10 years, I've learned that if something doesn't add up to an actuary, it doesn't add up.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Big Ten may be down a little but it’s probably somewhere in the middle

of the massive freak out we had early and a normal year.  We’ve actually had a really good couple of weeks as a conference after a horrible start.  It’s kind of evened itself out with some really nice wins.

True and other P6 conferences are not killing it either. Outside the top couple in each it seems like a lot of parity so far this year but it’s still early

4 hours ago, HuskerActuary said:

He's projecting us to go 10-1 in the non-conf which means we either beat Creighton or K-State as well as going 11-9 in the conference which also includes a coin flip game vs Michigan St as  a win in 11 days from now.  Could be that simple and really it's fairly crucial for us to go 3-1 in our next 4 games or else we have work to do in the beginning of January.

Anyone who beats Purdue this year is getting a seeding bonus and if you can beat the Boliers at home that's one big ass win.

27 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Start the bracket threads now fellas. Katz has us in his first bracket.  The hype is real!

In all seriousness, do we deserve to be in these yet?  Meh, you could make a case either way.  Will the next four games show whether we deserve it?  Absolutely!

IMG_1757.jpeg

We absolutely deserve to be in a November bracket that has 0 actual meaning

35 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Start the bracket threads now fellas. Katz has us in his first bracket.  The hype is real!

In all seriousness, do we deserve to be in these yet?  Meh, you could make a case either way.  Will the next four games show whether we deserve it?  Absolutely!

IMG_1757.jpeg

That's fine, but who do we play after we beat JMU and Houston?

22 hours ago, hskr4life said:

FWIW, Warren Nolan does have the Big 10 as the #2 conference currently.  We may be down a bit as a conference overall… but as someone else mentioned, it doesn’t appear anyone else is stepping up to overtake us.

IMG_1760.jpeg

Yeah, seems like the national perception of the Big Ten will be fine. Purdue beat Xavier, Gonzaga, Marquette and Tennessee. But just lost to Northwestern. Still some great non-con opportunities for Big Ten teams:

Marquette @ Wisconsin

Kansas @ Indiana

Creighton @ Nebraska

Baylor @ Michigan State

Ohio State vs. UCLA

Illinois @ Tennessee

Purdue still has Alabama and Arizona. 

4 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Yeah, seems like the national perception of the Big Ten will be fine. Purdue beat Xavier, Gonzaga, Marquette and Tennessee. But just lost to Northwestern. Still some great non-con opportunities for Big Ten teams:

Marquette @ Wisconsin

Kansas @ Indiana

Creighton @ Nebraska

Baylor @ Michigan State

Ohio State vs. UCLA

Illinois @ Tennessee

Purdue still has Alabama and Arizona. 

I think add our KSU game to that list too I think.  Two bubble-ish teams in the top two conferences.

Illinois is this week's Ohio State, making an improbable and impressive jump up to #16.  Northwestern's impressive win vs Purdue along with our horrible performance drops us to #9 in the league.  Minnesota is no longer the lowest ranking Big Ten team.  Ken has downgraded our predicted record to 18-13 (9-11).  Torvik, who still likes us a bit more says 20-11 (11-9)

San José State drops again to #149.

KenPom rankings as of 12-04-23

=======================

B1G (0-0):
2. Purdue
15. Wisconsin
16. Illinois
19. Michigan State
24. Ohio State
37. Iowa
48. Northwestern
49. Michigan