Creighton

Bugeaters1

21 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Very disturbing, if it is all true then I hope he rots in prison for a long time. 

Before I found out more about what went down, I had contemplated making a joke about how Mo was trying too hard to score; how he, like a lot of players who've been out for awhile, needed to let the action come to him instead of trying to force things.

But, once I found out just how bad the allegations are, I decided it would be inappropriate to try to make light of it.

What a dirt bag.  No, wait, that's an insult to dirt bags.

Edited by Norm Peterson

This is sad and seems to break some type of NCAA rules. 

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/helpmauricewatson10

It comforts me that the victim here went to the med center after this occurred. People seem to think their is a lot of gray area with these things, but the hospital has a team of professionals who are amazing at what they do, and will have a good idea of what happened that evening. I do commend Creighton for severing all ties with Watson, that needed to be done. 

Truly Pathetic stuff.  It is unbelievable that 40 people have donated to this cause. 

2 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

This is sad and seems to break some type of NCAA rules. 

It comforts me that the victim here went to the med center after this occurred. People seem to think their is a lot of gray area with these things, but the hospital has a team of professionals who are amazing at what they do, and will have a good idea of what happened that evening. I do commend Creighton for severing all ties with Watson, that needed to be done. 

Edited by royalfan

3 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

God help those people.

Take it easy, guys, the donations are probably mostly from close friends and family to help with legal fees (which are likely to be pretty massive now).  In all fairness, too, these are all allegations at this point and despite the optics of it all we must let the process play it out before condemning him and those who have faith in him.  I would hope I would have that type of support system in place as well if I were in his shoes.  His life went from being pretty freaking awesome to a complete disaster (probably forever) in just a few weeks...we as Huskers don't have to look far to see how a pretty similar story unfolded...

Let me digress here by saying that I'm not advocating for any degree of innocence or guilt for any party involved, and I do feel like the media hype surrounding this case is a little out of control too - remember Duke Lacrosse?  Totally out of hand.  KU basketball from earlier this year?  Less out of hand but a media circus nonetheless.  This story doesn't have quite the heat that those did, hopefully it stays that way.

Full disclosure, I have a number of friends and family who got degrees at Creighton, but anybody that knows me would know that I have absolutely zero affinity for Creighton, much less so their obnoxious (and mostly t-shirt) fanbase.  Having that said, I would hope that we as Huskers can refrain from sitting in judgment of the people and institutions involved, or at least keep as level a head as possible while the proceedings are carried out in the courts.  A situation as delicate as this deserves at least that much respect.

Finally, I want to just say that I feel terrible for the alleged victim and her life has likely changed forever too - and not for the better I might add no matter the outcome - I hope she is able to get the help and support she needs as well.  This whole story saddens and sickens me.

Thanks for letting me add my rant...

28 minutes ago, 49r said:

Take it easy, guys, the donations are probably mostly from close friends and family to help with legal fees (which are likely to be pretty massive now).  In all fairness, too, these are all allegations at this point and despite the optics of it all we must let the process play it out before condemning him and those who have faith in him.  I would hope I would have that type of support system in place as well if I were in his shoes.  His life went from being pretty freaking awesome to a complete disaster (probably forever) in just a few weeks...we as Huskers don't have to look far to see how a pretty similar story unfolded...

Let me digress here by saying that I'm not advocating for any degree of innocence or guilt for any party involved, and I do feel like the media hype surrounding this case is a little out of control too - remember Duke Lacrosse?  Totally out of hand.  KU basketball from earlier this year?  Less out of hand but a media circus nonetheless.  This story doesn't have quite the heat that those did, hopefully it stays that way.

Full disclosure, I have a number of friends and family who got degrees at Creighton, but anybody that knows me would know that I have absolutely zero affinity for Creighton, much less so their obnoxious (and mostly t-shirt) fanbase.  Having that said, I would hope that we as Huskers can refrain from sitting in judgment of the people and institutions involved, or at least keep as level a head as possible while the proceedings are carried out in the courts.  A situation as delicate as this deserves at least that much respect.

Finally, I want to just say that I feel terrible for the alleged victim and her life has likely changed forever too - and not for the better I might add no matter the outcome - I hope she is able to get the help and support she needs as well.  This whole story saddens and sickens me.

Thanks for letting me add my rant...

I've already said that Creighton has handled this very well. Trust me if this had happened to a player that had Nebraska on the front of the jersey, i'd be echoing the same comments. I understand my comments probably were premature. That being said the him leaving town, the vagina laceration, blood loss, and witness saying she was approached earlier in the evening - all had me pretty worked up. It's a topic that I probably struggle to stay level headed with. 

Fair point by @49r that this is probably mostly (though probably not entirely) family and close friends.  For them, I can see the motivation.  But the description of the fundraising effort seemed to be directed to those who wouldn't know him personally and would only be a fan of him or his team.  For those who donated to this cause based purely on their Creighton fandom, I have only contempt.  If he wasn't a basketball player, you'd likely be hoping for a speedy trial and a quick conviction before giving him a long sentence.

Interesting description by his mom about his basketball injury--"My son was catastrophically injured".   Seems a bit over the top for two torn knee ligaments.  No, ligament tears are injuries.   Injuries causing permanent paralysis or traumatic brain injuries are catastrophic.   Never walking again is catastrophic.   And missing a basketball season isn't catastrophic, it's disappointing.   Not trying to be too hard on the parents, but taking normal life events and over-describing them perhaps causes a certain entitlement perspective for the kids.  Well, now it's about to get real. 

Interesting description by his mom about his basketball injury--"My son was catastrophically injured".   Seems a bit over the top for two torn knee ligaments.  No, ligament tears are injuries.   Injuries causing permanent paralysis or traumatic brain injuries are catastrophic.   Never walking again is catastrophic.   And missing a basketball season isn't catastrophic, it's disappointing.   Not trying to be too hard on the parents, but taking normal life events and over-describing them perhaps causes a certain entitlement perspective for the kids.  Well, now it's about to get real. 

Well moms will be moms and over do it a bit

18 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

There is NO, ZERO Gray Area once the girl says no.

40 minutes ago, colhusker said:

There is NO, ZERO Gray Area once the girl says no.

That's not the gray area I was referring to. I meant it as the he says - she says crap that always follows these situations. The sexual assault kit done at the hospital helps give concrete evidence so the court doesn't have to rely on all the he said-she said. 

29 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

That's not the gray area I was referring to. I meant it as the he says - she says crap that always follows these situations. The sexual assault kit done at the hospital helps give concrete evidence so the court doesn't have to rely on all the he said-she said. 

Was not calling you out and apologize if it appears that way.  Was just making a statement.

And I still contend that Creighton should be ashamed of themselves for attempting to bury this story for nearly a month. I have no respect for harboring in any way a fugitive of the law. Mo Watson in jail on Senior Night seems to be somewhat of a precursor of justice. I hope the state can throw the book at him! If proven, he's a scumbag sexual predator from CU. And hats off to the young lady for the courage to get all the tests done so that pressing charges was obvious as to show intent from the aggressor.

14 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

And I still contend that Creighton should be ashamed of themselves for attempting to bury this story for nearly a month. 

It looks like they sat a week on announcing the suspension, not a month. They announced it prior to formal charges being filed.  Until charges are publicly filed, do you expect the university to make specific statements? Even if Watson is guilty he has rights. This is a shitty situation but it seems like Creighton handled it about as fairly/justly as they could. 

If guys simply want to take this chance to shit on Creighton, take a look in the mirror.

3 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It looks like they sat a week on announcing the suspension, not a month. They announced it prior to formal charges being filed.  Until charges are publicly filed, do you expect the university to make specific statements? Even if Watson is guilty he has rights. This is a shitty situation but it seems like Creighton handled it about as fairly/justly as they could. 

If guys simply want to take this chance to shit on Creighton, take a look in the mirror.

Well, I stand corrected. It's not "nearly" a month. Still, crappy deal all around, which was my primary point.

5 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

By the way, I know all too well what happened at NU nearly twenty-five years. It's not simply "slinging mud" as this situation today is still crappy, and I feel awful for any victim.

That comment wasn't specifically directed at anyone.