Chartice White -> Florida State

Bugeaters1

I guess we're bored waiting to hear the news on which current players and commits are staying with NU.

The reality of a new head coach taking over, and completely new staff makes keeping players and new commits stay, even more difficult.

Maybe the silence can be taken a good news? No news is good news ??

my gut tells me we should know monday or tuesday--------one way or the other. 

of course, i thought we would know last week.  :mellow:

It's pretty simple as to how we got here if you follow the last four posts. I guess I didn't know we had rigid rules on what could be posted where. Norm I'm glad that this never happens to you on your posts.

By the way, I think you missed my point.  Yes, I get how the subject came up in the last 4 posts.  But if you're going to look for the thread that talks about transfers from our program, you probably won't be looking to find the discussion under the Chatrice White thread.  Or even the Chartice White thread.  I was just making a friendly suggestion to help facilitate discussion.  I mean, how many people looking to talk about our potential transfers are going to look to this thread for that discussion?

To be honest, I feel like Chatrice should have been a bit further along her sophomore year.  She took 566 fga and made 219 of them (38.7%).  The second highest volume shooter on the team took 291 shots and made 120 (41.2%).  For the season, Illinois as a team took 1916 shots, making 770 of them (40.2%).  In other words, Chatrice took 29.5% of her teams' shots (566 of 770), and accounted for 28.4% (219 of 770) of those made shots.

Seems to me she takes an awful lot of shots compared to the rest of the team.  Maybe that is because of the situation they were in losing so many players before last season.  I did not check her freshman stats.

I'm assuming she will sit the usual year when she transfers, so maybe her new coach can take that time to develop her more.

Sometimes statistics can be overrated.  With Chatrice, she didn't have much else on her team.  She had to take a high volume of shots, and not always good ones.  In her case, I'll go with what my eyes have seen watching her play.  For as big as  she is, she is actually quite skilled.  Can shoot it out on the court, facing the basket (WAY better than Shepherd showed this year on that aspect).  She runs the floor OK.  Can improve defensively, but a lot of sophomores can say that.  I suspect what my uneducated eyes saw will be validated which coaches choose to offer her upon transfer.  She was very productive on a very poor team, all while drawing a lot of defensive attention.  

Im not saying ONLY NE kids. But the foundation of your program should be NE kids. Maybe 4-5 kids.

We can't be losing kids like Houser & both Kastaneks. All good enough to play at NE.

NE Volleyball always carrying a lot of  NE kids and winning Championships. Next years VB roster has 6 NE kids.

Giving a scholarships to a walk from KS when you have kids in NE just as good- makes no sense. Give that scholarship to a NE kid!

For several years we had more Highly skilled VB players in Nebraska then BB.  That is starting to change.  For whatever reason we didn't get Chatrice White 6'4'' post who was 2nd team all Big 10 this year.  Also Kaylee Jensen 6'4" post was 2nd team all big 12 this year as a sophomore at Ok. St. as well.  We lost out last to freshmen Kianna Ibis when she went to Arizona State and after an ACL tear last year was getting more playing time as she recouped.  Az. St. coach said she has a bright future.

Im not saying ONLY NE kids. But the foundation of your program should be NE kids. Maybe 4-5 kids.

We can't be losing kids like Houser & both Kastaneks. All good enough to play at NE.

NE Volleyball always carrying a lot of  NE kids and winning Championships. Next years VB roster has 6 NE kids.

Giving a scholarships to a walk from KS when you have kids in NE just as good- makes no sense. Give that scholarship to a NE kid!

Your answer on some of that would be found in the pages of the LJS and OWH in the wake of Connie stepping down and what one local AAU coach had to share.  Don't mean to step on anyone's toes but there was very clearly a Dan Lesoing problem involved in the recruitment of those girls.  Now, whether that was Dan's fault or Connie's fault is not for me to say, but there was, without a doubt, some barrier in that relationship and that clearly resulted in girls that Connie pursued choosing to go elsewhere for college.  It's not that she was bad at recruiting Nebraska, but you make a tough recruiting job tougher when you've got a certain AAU coach working against you.

No one is going to get all of the D1 prospects in the state.  And not all will be a fit.  Saying Yori wasn't good at recruiting Nebraska kids just isn't a good representation of her tenure.  

Until White, we got most of the better ones. 

Elite:  Vonnie Turner, Dominique Kelley, Jordan Hooper, Emily Cady.  

Lesser:  Nikki Bober, Sadie Murren, Hannah Tvrdy.

The Kastaneks and KK Houser were misses.  But Lindsay Moore was better than Houser, and they were in the same class. We got huge difference makers we had to have.  Kampaus wasn't a miss.  Kissingers minor ones.  Missed on a few decent but not great players, but got a few program changing "had to haves".   You don't win titles with the Kastaneks.  You do with Turner, Kelley, Hooper and Cady.  I love in-state players, but to say we were bad at recruiting them isn't an accurate perspective. 

Your answer on some of that would be found in the pages of the LJS and OWH in the wake of Connie stepping down and what one local AAU coach had to share.  Don't mean to step on anyone's toes but there was very clearly a Dan Lesoing problem involved in the recruitment of those girls.  Now, whether that was Dan's fault or Connie's fault is not for me to say, but there was, without a doubt, some barrier in that relationship and that clearly resulted in girls that Connie pursued choosing to go elsewhere for college.  It's not that she was bad at recruiting Nebraska, but you make a tough recruiting job tougher when you've got a certain AAU coach working against you.

That all speaks volumes. And I agree on most of it. There have been several very good local kids we haven't been able to recruit.

I don't pretend to have the answers, or inside knowledge, but it's undeniable....we've missed on some.  We'll never get them all, but a least get to the point where the locals look closely at UNL, and think hard before they go else where. Hopefully Coach Amy can turn some heads.

If true about a certain AAU coach working against you...then should someone in control of the process should give it a little attention. It's really a low blow.

Canadian4u -- u obviously aren't much of a Husker women's bball fan or u would know "they did exactly what u suggested and give that scholarship to a Nebraska kid". She quit after 1 year. Name was Courtney Aiitken. Doing all the behinds the scenes stuff that comes with being a walk/on roll player isn't something most kids want to do.