Yori Resigns

hskr4life

Also you have to realize that this practice player was most likely very loyal to CY for giving him this opportunity. He will most likely say just about anything that speaks well of CY the way she ran practices. I'm not saying he is lying, he is just telling it as he believes it to be. If that is wrong or right, who knows.

What opportunity would that be? 

These practice players aren't on scholarship.  I'm not sure what they get out of being practice players for WBB, but I don't imagine it's very much.  Not sure why he'd be any more or less loyal than any of the players or staff.

But he does have more direct, first-hand knowledge about practices than anyone else who has come forward to talk about them.  So ...

The last I heard the practice players get their workout gear supplied.  That is it.  Oh they get to attend the end of year banquet.

TEAM CHEMISTRY! It was obvious we didn't have it this year. Maybe that's not all the coaches fault but they are in charge and have a lot to do in establishing it. What's done is done. Can't change the past but just learn from it. Any new coach realizes that a lot of healing will need to be done and the right hire will take advantage of a fresh start and I believe we will return to a team that is all together and has that CHEMISTRY! GBR

We graduated 4 veteran players last year. I'm sure there was a huge difference in leadership this year for that reason alone. We have a very young team. I remember reading comments from Lindsey Moore in the paper that she thought Yori was somewhat easier in practice this year with the players (not exact words, but something like that, please correct me if I'm wrong). Probably because of the team's youth.

However, I would expect those things to improve as the season progressed. Maybe they didn't. Maybe the reason they didn't was due to Theriot's injury. Maybe some players didn't like the fact that Kyndal came in and started right away and weren't too keen to recognize her leadership ability. These are all just maybes. Just maybe. But none of them quit first semester and enrolled elsewhere second semester. They all stuck with it.

I was also under the impression that a group of players approached the administration with concerns. Was that necessarily about tough practices? Or could they have been concerned about Yori and the stress she was under? Maybe it was more along the lines of "We are really worried about our coach because we can see she is having a rough time right now".

That has been mentioned several time this year, here and on broadcasts. Lack of senior leadership...or poor attitude whatever you want to call it. That kind of problem kills team morale and the teams want to work together.

Speculation...not that there hasn't been any so far.

It could be that RT's attitude fell off because she couldn't play up to her own expectations.. not so hard to understand...and there wasn't another senior to fill the gap.

I know dlrrk has stated that RB43 was frustrated with the lack of senior leadership, and that RB 43 wanted,to take the leadship role but didn't feel comfortable in doing so.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Norm, you're right I am a cherry to Nebraska WBB. I can't name the four previous coaches. I can't name one. If there was a time in grade requirement I didn't know...

You stated... "...you can't just expect them to walk away the next day and not have a lot of questions they'd like to see answered."

Unless there is a court case I'm betting we will never really know the dirt behind the decision.

Maybe it's better not to know. The old adage... Don't ask the question if you don't want to know the answer.

Why damage a great university? Let's just say, for the sake of argument, the reason for the resignation is embarrassing to the university... Why let that info out? We don't want ESPN running a disparaging story about UNL.

I'd argue, and I like to argue, that it's more beneficial to look forward.

But if you're asking for answers... be careful what you ask for... you might get it.

dlrrk, I'm not trying to argue with you.  You have a perspective that is certainly valid. 

But I want you to understand that it's not so easy for the average fan to just waive good-bye to the Yori era and look excitedly to the search for a new coach.

When the news hit about Kaylee Page leaving the program a year ago, here's what I posted on this board:

"As a fan, this is frustrating because you get excited about a recruit, get to know a little about them, pull for them to do well, and you feel a bit invested in their success here."

We feel the same sense of investment in the success of your daughter.  We also feel a sense of investment in the success of Kathleen Doyle and Nicea Eliely and the other recruits.  We've been pulling for them to have good seasons, receive accolades and recognition, and come to Lincoln with smiles on their faces ready to embrace Husker nation.  In some cases, literally.

We also had that same sense of investment in players from the past, names you might never have heard of.  Names we don't forget.  I think it would be difficult for the average freshman player -- or her parents -- to stand there and watch the University retire Kelsey Griffin's jersey and understand the fondness our fanbase feels for her still.  And what she meant to this program.

And, by the same token, it's not so easy for us to just turn our backs on Connie Yori's tenure here and just move on to the next coach.  If you had lived through the last couple years of Paul Sanderford like many of us on this board, man, you'd really appreciate what Connie Yori has done for this program -- how far it's come from where it was.

I'm not saying there's a time-in-grade requirement.  Your perspective is certainly valid.

But, by the same token, I just want you to understand you're asking a lot to, in effect, say "Yori's no longer the coach; time to move on; let's go find another one and focus on the "new coach" thread (in effect, stop talking about what has just transpired.)"

If I know Husker fans, it might be awhile before people are ready to do that.

Also you have to realize that this practice player was most likely very loyal to CY for giving him this opportunity. He will most likely say just about anything that speaks well of CY the way she ran practices. I'm not saying he is lying, he is just telling it as he believes it to be. If that is wrong or right, who knows.

These practice players aren't on scholarship.  I'm not sure what they get out of being practice players for WBB, but I don't imagine it's very much.  Not sure why he'd be any more or less loyal than any of the players or staff.

But he does have more direct, first-hand knowledge about practices than anyone else who has come forward to talk about them.  So ...

So ......  a kid that wants to help out a major division I basketball team, go to practices, work out, make the athletes better, make friends, help team win championships, and continue to play basketball at a high level wouldn't be loyal to a certain coach that gives him this OPPORTUNITY?  This practice player has at least once, possibly more, won the scout team player of the year award at the team banquet.  You don't get to that level without receiving an OPPORTUNITY by the head coach.  Additionally he was at practices only.  I dont think that some of the things that snowballed into what we have here today had anything to do with practice(s).

It is true that the scout teamers do not receive scholarships, but they do receive gear (possibily multiple pair of shoes, shirts, shorts, socks), lots of praise from coaches, and pride that they are helping division I athletes. 

edited- submitted before finished

So ......  a kid that wants to help out a major division I basketball team, go to practices, work out, make the athletes better, make friends, help team win championships wouldn't be loyal to a certain coach that gives him this OPPORTUNITY?  This practice player was at least once, possibly more, won the scout team player of the year award at the team banquet

You made it sound like the kid is going to be biased because he owes so much to Connie Yori for giving him the opportunity to bust his ass, burn a lot of his free time, get sweaty and yelled at (yes, the coaches yell at those guys, too) in exchange for some gear and a little award at the team banquet.  Wooo.

No.  I think that, your straw man argument aside, none of that makes him any more likely to be biased than anyone else with knowledge of the situation.  What it does show is that he had access to the team and was in a position to know the things he's talking about.

Apparently, his views don't coincide with your own.  So, what's your bias?

As a practice player, you form much better relationships with the players than you do the coaches. For him to give his insight in his quotes speaks volumes, because he burned a few friendships with telling what he felt was the truth. It's easy to sit-back and speculate the reasoning behind everything when you have no first-hand experience with what happening. Norm is right, this kid owes Connie Yori nothing, I can assure you of that. He was speaking his true opinion on what he saw just about everyday. Entitlement. If you don't believe it's a problem in today's world, just go look at the twitter's of the last 4 football recruits we recently signed.

One of my friends of Facebook posted this after she saw Coach Yori was fired. She played at UNK.

"Although I did not know Coach Yori personally or play for her, I feel I can speak for her character. As a senior I was injured in my final exhibition game against UNL which left me sidelined for a couple of weeks. I received a phone call and a card from Coach Yori and the team concerning my injury and wishing me well for the season. As a division 1 coach with a million things on her plate, I can honestly say that should have been the least of her worries, but she made it a priority to make sure she checked up on me. I wish the best for Coach Yori and her family."

Part of the problem for the Nebraska fans is that they are very emotionally invested in the players,the coaches and the program.  We look on the players as if they were the girls next door who we trust to babysit our kids.  Or perhaps they are like our grandchildren.  We watch them mature and improve their skills, rejoice with them in their successes and suffer with them in the down times.  We look at the coaches, particularly the head coach, as their leader and mentor.  We give credit to the coach for their growth and their maturation.  Suddenly, the pillars upon which this emotion is built are ripped away.  Our faith has lost its anchor and the seas are stormy right now. 

What do we know to still be true?  Who do we blame?  Was this caused by a disgruntled former employee who is seeking some type of vengence?  Have soft, entitled young women tried to institute a new version of the Salem witch hunt?  Players, both current and past, have indicated that the problems being touted in the media don't exist. Have we completely misread the ethics and personality of the coach?  Did the coach, during a very trying period, lose her way?  Did the administration overreact in some politically correct maneuver, sacrificing the coach in the process?  The problem for the fans is that they don't know any of these answers.  How do we rebuild our emotional investment when we don't know who are the villans or the victims?  Every assertion made has been denied by someone else.  The administration says "Trust us" and then immediately pulls the curtain on the entire process.

Sadly, I don't trust them.  They have never given me a reason.  They also haven't really given me a reason to distrust them.  I don't really know anything about the administration because they always work behind the curtain. 

What do we have left that we know to be true that we can hold on to?  I wish I knew.

The problem with today's society is that too many people have to have something to bitch about. It's not all about identifying villains and victims to be able to do so. Things beyond our control happen and we will never know all the reasons. That's life. Stay positive move on. Support the players and new coach. Staying negative is the worst way possible to help the program going forward.

The problem with today's society is that too many people have to have something to bitch about. It's not all about identifying villains and victims to be able to do so. Things beyond our control happen and we will never know all the reasons. That's life. Stay positive move on. Support the players and new coach. Staying negative is the worst way possible to help the program going forward.

Well, there can be a happy medium.  Eventually one has to move on.  And staying negative for an eternity never helps.  But sometimes toxic stuff needs to be flushed a little.  If something out of whack happens, everybody can't, and shouldn't, just snap their fingers and immediately go to "No biggie" territory.

I don't quite know what condition Pat is in these days, but if she is aware of what transpired, I hope she kicks his ass.

If it's wrong to prohibit players from dating each other, then why would it be wrong for a coach to date a player?

Isn't that discrimination too?

Didn't Bill Fennely. Marry a player that he coached?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have been an avid supporter of Husker Women's basketball for many years.  During Connie Yori's tenure my wife and I have become season ticket holders and have attended most events available to fans during the past several years.  We have come to know Connie and a number of her staff personally during this time.  We think of her as a caring friend of very high character.  Witness the fact that when our family suffered set backs, Connie was there for us.  I had heart bypass surgery six years ago and not only did she send a get well card signed by the entire staff but she sent two staff members to visit me in the hospital in Omaha. This occurred during the month of March at  an extremely busy time for coaches.  A few years later when our daughter was diagnosed with leukemia which required stem cell transplant,  Connie became aware of it and expressed her interest and concern on numerous occasions,  seeking us out to check on progress.  These actions suggest to me someone of HIGHEST CHARACTER  who cares deeply about people, regardless of their status.  These are Facts (not rumors or innuendos).  I am appalled by people (especially sportswriters) who choose to be judge jury and executioner before all facts are known and all sides of the story have been heard.

I ask fans to keep an OPEN MIND on this matter and not rush to judgement and crucify a person who has meant as much to our state as Connie has.

I don't quite know what condition Pat is in these days, but if she is aware of what transpired, I hope she kicks his ass.

If it's wrong to prohibit players from dating each other, then why would it be wrong for a coach to date a player?

Isn't that discrimination too?

Oh Norm.... 

Seriously, I think it's a legit question.  What is the principle that we operate on that tells us instinctively that what Tyler Summit did was not only wrong but wrong enough that he should step down as coach for it?