Omaha Central HC Eric Behrens leaving for Peru State

Maybe this will end up being a good thing for Nebraska trying to recruit Central...

(Not trying to ruffle any feathers if someone has some sort of personal connection...just throwing it out there...)

Maybe the new coach will be more active in pushing a player to Nebraska, if Nebraska is actively recruiting them.

Interesting. I would think he could get a much better job than Peru State.

It is his alma mater I believe.

That would make sense then.  Otherwise I don't understand taking a job at a struggling NAIA program in the middle of nowhere.

As for the salary, I believe the previous coach made about $50,000.   So his salary probably won't change much.

On HOL a poster stated that with the new academic guidelines he wouldn't have many players be eligible to play next year assuming they didn't improve their grades. guess he figured make the jump now or never since his stock wasn't going to get any higher.

Yep, the minimum GPAs coming down the pike has been discussed on here quite a bit in this past year... and, it likely played a role (however small it may be) in Behrens' ultimate decision to take on a new challenge at the collegiate level.

As Tim Miles proved, you have to start somewhere coaching in college, might as well be at a familiar locale. Hope EB does well with the Bobcats program.

Not a surprise to me, Central was manhandled by Bel. West at state this year.  Central loses their best player in Thurman and probably won't contend for a title next year.  It was a good run for Behrens and he will have his work cut out for him at Peru State who have had losing records each of the last 3 seasons.

Proud day for this alumni, we are struggling, but we have great facitiles and a strong alumni base, we just rebuilt the oak bowl (our football stadium), the awac where the basketball team plays is new within 5 years, and has a 2 year old weight room facility.He'll have a low tuition, staff and admissions, that work with low gpa, and test scores to get into college, and great area. He'll have some recruting advantages...GO CATShttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201778634170451&set=a.1006108875874.2000981.1319460075&type=1&theater

The move to Peru seems like an odd one on the surface, but makes more sense when you hear Behrens talk about it.

They have improved facilities, and since they an upper level NAIA school they can offer more financial aide than the GPAC schools.  When you add in that it's a state school and they have lower tuition rates. 

Then you add in that it's close to Omaha, Lincoln and St. Joseph Missouri and he has some population bases to go after. 

Behrens will likely target a lot of North Omaha kids who because of the above reasons could financially go to Peru rather than other options.  He likely is going to have some good success there and could built that into a promotion in the future.  I think Tim Miles is showing coaches that you can get a Power 5 conference job by working your way up the coaching ladder.  If Hanson ever leaves UNO, Behrens cold be their next choice.

Also another thing to remember is that Behren's kid is going to be a freshman in high school next year.  And from what Eric said on 1620 is that they always don't have the best on court relationship.  Coaching him at the high school level may have been too much for Eric and that's another reason to go the college route.  Look for his kid to end up at Prep instead of Central too.

KNTK - Gaskins & Stephens:  Eric Behrens, new Peru State basketball coach

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/gaskinsstephens/2014_04_29_2_EricBehrens.mp3

(20:01)

Eric Behrens, former Omaha Central and current Peru State basketball coach joins the show to talk about why he made the move. He also weighs in on what it’s like to coach at a school with as much diversity as Omaha Central and the level of racism he encounters at the high school level.

KNTK - Gaskins & Stephens: Eric Behrens, new Peru State basketball coach

http://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/gaskinsstephens/2014_04_29_2_EricBehrens.mp3

Eric Behrens, former Omaha Central and current Peru State basketball coach joins the show to talk about why he made the move. He also weighs in on what it’s like to coach at a school with as much diversity as Omaha Central and the level of racism he encounters at the high school level.

I find this description pretty offensive. Makes it sound like coach is some sort of alien because he coach black people or that blacks people are harder to coach or somethin. Is dis dude on Clippers payroll?

I find this description pretty offensive. Makes it sound like coach is some sort of alien because he coach black people or that blacks people are harder to coach or somethin. Is dis dude on Clippers payroll?

Trolling?

KNTK - Gaskins & Stephens: Eric Behrens, new Peru State basketball coachhttp://www.theticketfm.com/podcasts/gaskinsstephens/2014_04_29_2_EricBehrens.mp3

Now I didn't hear it but I think he is talking about the racism that has happened to the Central players, not him beginning racist towards his own players. There has to be things said and done toward Central. even we we think that stuff doesn't happen I am sure it does, and probably at a higher level than we believe.

It's a bit more exploitative than offensive. It could have been worded better though Behrens himself referred to Central as "a very diverse school"