Projected starting line up

3 hours ago, big red22 said:

I just feel SF is meant for lean tall (6'6 to 6'8) dudes with guard like skills.  You know like Griffith, Gary and Williams.  And a PF is meant for dude like Morgan and Bolis.  Guys that are tall and built with less guard skills and more back to the basket skills.  SG is for dudes with a similar skill set as the SF, but could be 6'3 to 6'6 and a bit quicker.

Nothing is written in stone, but when thinking of how I'd like to fill the roster that is the ideal sizes and skill sets I'd look for at a D1 school.

Hoiberg's 5-out offensive flow doesn't require labels like that, it's basically who can defend their opponent effectively enough on the other end of the court...

5 hours ago, big red22 said:

Mast was our main distributor IMO, and Morgan is not going to be that.

You know, I think this resembles what a lot of people were saying after last season about Mast replacing Walker.  A lot of folks were saying we wouldn't find a big man who could distribute the ball like Walker did...but Mast came in this season and did a fine job of playing that role.

I'm just kinda thinking that's more about Hoiberg and his system than it is about who is in it.  If that makes any sense.

Edited by 49r

32 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Hoiberg's 5-out offensive flow doesn't require labels like that, it's basically who can defend their opponent effectively enough on the other end of the court...

I agree that it doesn’t REQUIRE labels like that, but we all know the type of player we’re short on and would like one more of, right? So in that way we have a specific need to fill that we can label.

10 minutes ago, 49r said:

You know, I think this resembles what a lot of people were saying after last season about Mast replacing Walker.  A lot of folks were saying we wouldn't find a big man who could distribute the ball like Walker did...but Mast came in this season and did a fine job of playing that role.

I'm just kinda thinking that's more about Hoiberg and his system than it is about who is in it.  If that makes any sense.

I thought Mast's best attribute was his vision/passing ability when I saw his Bradley film. All the talk was about how fortunate we were to find a player who could do those things that Walker did. The concern was that he may not be able to handle the ball and bring it up the court like Walker did. I don't see that passing ability with Morgan, but that may just be because he wasn't given the opportunity to showcase it. 

1 minute ago, Vinny said:

I agree that it doesn’t REQUIRE labels like that, but we all know the type of player we’re short on and would like one more of, right? So in that way we have a specific need to fill that we can label.

That's not what we're discussing here, though. We are specifically referring to the 2 & 3.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

Morgan and especially Meah don't have the assist numbers you could see from Rienk at Bradley.  I don't think we'll see nearly as much passing from our 5 given less aptitude from the position plus having actual PGs.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m envisioning adding Buyunktuncel to this list and getting downright giddy. 
Do y’all realize he was the #36 overall prospect in his class according to 24/7? For reference, Bryce McGowens was our top-rated recruit ever and he was #28. Let that sink in. We’re talking about adding a BMac level talent, at our position of greatest need, to a roster that already looked like it should Dance. 

16 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

I’m envisioning adding Buyunktuncel to this list and getting downright giddy. 
Do y’all realize he was the #36 overall prospect in his class according to 24/7? For reference, Bryce McGowens was our top-rated recruit ever and he was #28. Let that sink in. We’re talking about adding a BMac level talent, at our position of greatest need, to a roster that already looked like it should Dance. 

BERKE FROM TURKIYE! YES!

On 5/7/2024 at 2:47 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Yes and no. Pretty clear there's always one guy that is the blocker, sometimes two, who clearly are not getting the hand-offs or ball screens, but setting them. 

10 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Yes and no. Pretty clear there's always one guy that is the blocker, sometimes two, who clearly are not getting the hand-offs or ball screens, but setting them. 

I barely recall the context of my quoted comment, I think that was in regard to the 2 & 3, IIRC...