Iowa post game chatter

Bugeaters1

22 minutes ago, Huskerfanzzz said:

Totally agree on both of these. I have officiated games for years, and you never get rid of that internal clock during inbounds plays. I def thought it was a 5 sec violation as well. 

I replayed the lack of a 5 second call several times with a stop watch.  It came out to be a little over 6 seconds.  In my mind it would have been a huge call on the team that was supposed to win and the ref just couldn't do it.

3 hours ago, HUD said:

I replayed the lack of a 5 second call several times with a stop watch.  It came out to be a little over 6 seconds.  In my mind it would have been a huge call on the team that was supposed to win and the ref just couldn't do it.

Thanks for that!  I don't think any ref would make that call in a close game with a #2 team (especially Iowa) that would essentially end the game. 

BTW Kudos to Nebraska's stifling defense forcing the (non-called) violation.  Watching Natalie Potts (I believe) guard Iowa's in-bounder was amazing.

Edited by Red Don

3 hours ago, Huskerfanzzz said:

Totally agree on both of these. I have officiated games for years, and you never get rid of that internal clock during inbounds plays. I def thought it was a 5 sec violation as well. 

Trivia at this point:

Ok it's weirdo stuff.....but I put my phone's stop watch on and timed the replay, of the inbounds play. It was over 5 seconds. They got a basket because of it.

What if they won by a point ? We would have the short end of the stick, by a missed call that apparently is not reviewable.

Lots of what if's, that in the end.... that doesn't matter after all.

I've watched the last 2 or 3 minute replays several times..... Still exciting and unforgettable.

Her and Clark are perfect for each other.  
It's funny how Nebraska volleyball gets. Everybody's best shot, and if the opposing team wins, Cook says congrats, doesn't start winning to making up a bunch of excuses. She needs some humble pie.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

It's funny how Nebraska volleyball gets. Everybody's best shot, and if the opposing team wins, Cook says congrats, doesn't start winning to making up a bunch of excuses. She needs some humble pie.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Oh it’s coming for her. Next year, humility will be arriving at Bluder’s door when she will be coaching without the luxury of having arguably the greatest all around basketball talent that the women’s game has ever seen. Bluder’s gotta go back to coaching regular, mortal players on her team next year. You take Clark out of that program, and they are just another good team who can be beaten on any given day. 

29 minutes ago, Merlin said:

If Clark leaves. 

Right.   

Yes, Iowa will be much different when she leaves Iowa.  She's making good $$ where she sits with all the NIL, commercials, etc, so would have to get bigger bucks by going WNBA.  She can't get much more hyped...can she?

There is another factor which I don't believe has been discussed.  CC, I believe, likes to pursue and set records.  She has done all she can at the collegiate level.  It's quite plausible that her next record quest will be in the WNBA.  And she knows that her years in professional sports, as with all athletes, are limited.  Therefore, one more year spent in NCAAA necessarily means one year less in the WNBA - which limits the amount of time for record setting there. I think she moves on.  

1 hour ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

But if she stays in the NCAA for 1 more year. There will never ever be anyone ever again to beat the point record as there will never be a person to get to play as many years as these girls have gotten to. 

Right.  and she knows that.  Doubt that she wants the asterisk next to her name in the record book. 

Thinking back on this game and overjoyed that that Iowa hex had been broken, I thought i would look ahead to see what we might expect of Iowa in the near future.  I like what I found. We don't know if CC will return for a 5th year or not, but I doubt it.  I noted that of the three M's  (Martin, Marshall, and Molly D) two are 5th year and the other is already a graduate. If CC moves on, that would mean that four of Iowa's five starters (accounting, this year, for about 55 pts a game) walk off the court on Senior Day never to return.  Praise be!  I don't know what Bluder has on the bench, but at least they won't be as seasoned as those they replace.  On our end, the combo of AW and BP will soften the loss of Jazz so I expect the balance of talent against Iowa will be reversed.