Nebraska Recruiting

Bugeaters1

It’s hard to compare Prince with former NE high school stars without letting those players’ college careers influence the comparison.

Nebraska has produced some excellent post players…Markowski, Shepard, Hooper, Emily Cady in the past ten years. Katie Robinette and Carla Bennet a little before that.

In terms of guards though, I can’t remember any that come close to Prince in terms of all around game, skill, athleticism, size, etc. There have been good shooters like McCabe (Fremont) and Kastanek (LSE), and some good defenders/slashers like KK Houser, Vonnie Turner and Dominique Kelly.
But Prince is significantly better than all of them at this point in her development.

Edited by HuskerFan86

1 hour ago, HuskerFan86 said:

It’s hard to compare Prince with former NE high school stars without letting those players’ college careers influence the comparison.

Nebraska has produced some excellent post players…Markowski, Shepard, Hooper, Emily Cady in the past ten years. Katie Robinette and Carla Bennet a little before that.

In terms of guards though, I can’t remember any that come close to Prince in terms of all around game, skill, athleticism, size, etc. There have been good shooters like McCabe (Fremont) and Kastanek (LSE), and some good defenders/slashers like KK Houser, Vonnie Turner and Dominique Kelly.
But Prince is significantly better than all of them at this point in her development.

Are you forgetting the banner that hangs in PBA of IVY.

She was a bit before my time, so I never got to see her play 😅 She must have been great though! If Prince can come anywhere close to reaching that level, it will be a fun 4 years at PBA.

The fact that we have to go back 40 years (I believe Ivy was class of 1984) to find the comparison is a good indication of how good Prince could be if things pan out going forward.

Britt is having a slightly less dominant game today through 3 quarters vs. Beatrice. Still seems to have about 15 points, 8-10 rebounds, 6-8 assists, and 4-6 steals from what I've seen (without paying full attention to the game on NCN).

This is the first of 3 straight games with Husker recruiting implications...

1. Elkhorn North (Prince) vs. Beatrice

2. Millard West (Gessert twins) vs. North Star at 6pm

3. Lincoln Southwest (Williams) vs. Bell West at 8:15pm

10 hours ago, All About the Corn said:

Actually I sat on the Omaha Skutt side last year in the title game. North won 64-51.

I think I had Norris confused because of Volleyball at State for some reason. Thanks for the clarification.

The 2nd straight year with Skutt vs Elkhorn North in the Class B finals is tomorrow at 1 pm.

Beatrice has a freshman to keep an eye on 5'8 Alijah Stabler. She didn't have a great game today vs. Elkhorn North - mainly cause Elkhorn North was really keying on her. She did end up with 13, had 12, and hit the game-winning free throws in their Norris game. She averaged 17 a game this year. This was my first time seeing her in person, I'd seen her on tape a couple of times this year, really gets to the basket and finishes well - especially for a freshman.  

Prince is so much fun to watch. So calm, even when she forces things it's so smooth. When things were getting tight, she'd take a ball screen to the left, have 2 people on her and nail a free throw line jumper with hands in her face.  She probably had a couple more turnovers in this game than she usually does, but I still think the thing that separates her from others is her passing ability.  

Edited by nevermind

I was impressed with the Gesserts (Norah and Neleigh) after watching them play for the first time today. They are legit 6'1" perimeter players with excellent range and ballhandling for their size. The broadcasters on NCN said that for college, they are a package deal and it will most likely come down to Nebraska vs. Creighton. I think they would be good additions to Nebraska's roster.

Edited by HuskerFan86

12 hours ago, HuskerFan86 said:

If you're as old as I am..........Maurtice Ivy was as good if not better

I have been watching WBB long enough to remember Ivy.  She was REAL good - fast, smooth, had the moves, the shots, and the hops.  Part of her success was her talent, determination, and enthusiasm.  But she was the brightest star in the constellation in part because the others were, by today's standards, so dim.  She did not play with and against anything like the competition that is out there today. Girls' and women's level of play has come a very long way since then.

Now, as for Prince:  I saw her again yesterday. She was not full court guarded by Beatrice nearly as effectively as she was by Scottsbluff the previous day and this gave her more opportunity to showcase her passing skills. And man-oh-man did she!  Earlier in this discussion, someone, in comparing her to CC, said that she does not (yet at least) have the ability to make those CC bullet passes consistently hitting the bullseye, and that was consistent with what i had seen.  But she launched some lasers yesterday - some too good for her teammates to handle. It will be fun to see her pass to a posted up Markowski and Petrie and to a streaking Potts with kick outs to Nissley.  Also to see her benefit from strength, conditioning, and maturity.  Remember - she is five years younger than Shelly et. al. 

37 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

I have been watching WBB long enough to remember Ivy.  She was REAL good - fast, smooth, had the moves, the shots, and the hops.  Part of her success was her talent, determination, and enthusiasm.  But she was the brightest star in the constellation in part because the others were, by today's standards, so dim.  She did not play with and against anything like the competition that is out there today. Girls' and women's level of play has come a very long way since then.

Now, as for Prince:  I saw her again yesterday. She was not full court guarded by Beatrice nearly as effectively as she was by Scottsbluff the previous day and this gave her more opportunity to showcase her passing skills. And man-oh-man did she!  Earlier in this discussion, someone, in comparing her to CC, said that she does not (yet at least) have the ability to make those CC bullet passes consistently hitting the bullseye, and that was consistent with what i had seen.  But she launched some lasers yesterday - some too good for her teammates to handle. It will be fun to see her pass to a posted up Markowski and Petrie and to a streaking Potts with kick outs to Nissley.  Also to see her benefit from strength, conditioning, and maturity.  Remember - she is five years younger than Shelly et. al. 

You're probably correct in your statements.  I was a junior in high school when Ivy graduated.  I was watching her in the class A semifinals and it was like watching a goddess among children.  I still do not think Britt matches her for quickness and hops.  That be said,  I'm not really sure I've seen anyone play a smooth and relaxed as Britt in Nebraska.

Nicole Kubik was a nice guard for Nebraska from Cambridge.  She had to finish her career under Paul Sanderford which turned out less than ideal. 

Britt Prince has a calm confidence that has to impact her teammates positively.  She will be a very good point guard that can score for the Huskers.  

I made a quick table in Google Sheets with the offers that have been mentioned in this thread for class of 2025 and beyond. Is anyone aware of any others?

NAME CLASS POS HT HOMETOWN
(SCHOOL)
STATUS
Britt Prince 2024 G 5'11" Elkhorn, NE
(Elkhorn North)
Signed
Kennedi Williams 2024 PG 5'4" Lincoln, NE
(Southwest)
Signed
Amiah Hargrove 2024 F 6'2" Christopher, IL
(Christopher HS)
Signed

Mckenzie Mathurin 2025 G 5'10" Broken Arrow, OK
(Broken Arrow HS)
Committed
Ashlyn Koupal 2025 F 6'3" Wagner, SD
(Wagner HS)
Offered
Neleigh Gessert 2025 G 6'1" Omaha, NE
(Millard West)
Offered
Norah Gessert 2025 G 6'1" Omaha, NE
(Millard West)
Offered
Divine Bourrage 2025 PG 6'0" Davenport, IA
(North)
Offered

5 hours ago, HuskerFan86 said:

I made a quick table in Google Sheets with the offers that have been mentioned in this thread for class of 2025 and beyond. Is anyone aware of any others?

NAME CLASS POS HT HOMETOWN
(SCHOOL)
STATUS
Britt Prince 2024 G 5'11" Elkhorn, NE
(Elkhorn North)
Signed
Kennedi Williams 2024 PG 5'4" Lincoln, NE
(Southwest)
Signed
Amiah Hargrove 2024 F 6'2" Christopher, IL
(Christopher HS)
Signed

Mckenzie Mathurin 2025 G 5'10" Broken Arrow, OK
(Broken Arrow HS)
Committed
Ashlyn Koupal 2025 F 6'3" Wagner, SD
(Wagner HS)
Offered
Neleigh Gessert 2025 G 6'1" Omaha, NE
(Millard West)
Offered
Norah Gessert 2025 G 6'1" Omaha, NE
(Millard West)
Offered
Divine Bourrage 2025 PG 6'0" Davenport, IA
(North)
Offered

We also have an exceptional Australian connection.  We likely would not hear much, if anything, about a player from down under, until the deal is finalized.

1 hour ago, Neb Nets said:

After watching the Class A final last night. I am all in on NU signing the Gessert twins. Was very impressed with them, particularly Neleigh. They look the part of Div 1 recruits, and to think they still have another year of high school b-ball to grow and develop! Let’s get them aboard, Amy & staff! 

I agree!  But I fear they may wind up at Creighton.  However, did I hear the announcers correctly in that they said they played club with Prince and Williams?