I want this board to be the best board out there ...

How can I, Norm Peterson, help make HHC even better?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How can Norm make HHC an even better board?

• Shut the hell up.
    • Stop being so awesome all the time.
    • Post more.
    • Quite being the grammer and speling polise.
    • Nothing you can do, Norm. It's a lost cause.
    • This board is bigger than all of us, Norm. Well, all of us exept Silverbacked.
    • Make your peace with Kidney/Bradguru/Whiteknuckle and move on.
    • Tell us more about that one poster's hot mom.
    • Help us to organize a union so we can get paid to post.
    • Give us free beer.

OK, so I'm obviously not serious about this poll.  I think this is far and away the best sports-related board I've ever posted on and, really, the best board of any sort with one possible exception.

It's not because of me.  My large post count is not a reflection of how valuable I see myself but rather how much I enjoy the company here.  We have a broad range of personalities and lots of people who add little things to the overall discussion.  And when people disagree, they mostly do it in a respectful fashion and nobody tends to get their knickers in a twist over much of anything.

Aside from a few Creighton fans, the moderators aren't kept very busy breaking up fights and cleaning up the mess afterward. 

Not everyone can be the insider.  A board cannot function if everyone wants to be or thinks that only insiders provide value to the board.  People who don't know jack squat about basketball can contribute a great deal here even if it's only a one-liner here and there.

I started this thread because of some recent comments from some people suggesting there's been a lot of (or a little) stupidity around here lately.  That may be, by HHC standards, anyway.  But we're so much better off than some other boards that can't hold a single conversation without it devolving into some pissing contest between board factions.

I sure hope this board never goes that direction.  A big shout out to the mods for being generally awesome.  Not trying to suck up.  Just sayin' it 'cause it's true.

And, lastly, I want to stress I didn't post this to troll for green up arrows.  Please don't up arrow this post.  If you want to down arrow it, that's cool.  But I'm not doing this just to get a bunch of people to up arrow me.  While I may have the most posts, I don't think this board is about me.  One thing I think is great about it is all the unique vantage points that people approach being a fan from.  And share with the rest of us here.  It's ALL the folks who participate who make this such a great board.

Keep it up, HHC.

OK, so I'm obviously not serious about this poll.  I think this is far and away the best sports-related board I've ever posted on and, really, the best board of any sort with one possible exception.

It's not because of me.  My large post count is not a reflection of how valuable I see myself but rather how much I enjoy the company here.  We have a broad range of personalities and lots of people who add little things to the overall discussion.  And when people disagree, they mostly do it in a respectful fashion and nobody tends to get their knickers in a twist over much of anything.

Aside from a few Creighton fans, the moderators aren't kept very busy breaking up fights and cleaning up the mess afterward. 

Not everyone can be the insider.  A board cannot function if everyone wants to be or thinks that only insiders provide value to the board.  People who don't know jack squat about basketball can contribute a great deal here even if it's only a one-liner here and there.

I started this thread because of some recent comments from some people suggesting there's been a lot of (or a little) stupidity around here lately.  That may be, by HHC standards, anyway.  But we're so much better off than some other boards that can't hold a single conversation without it devolving into some pissing contest between board factions.

I sure hope this board never goes that direction.  A big shout out to the mods for being generally awesome.  Not trying to suck up.  Just sayin' it 'cause it's true.

And, lastly, I want to stress I didn't post this to troll for green up arrows.  Please don't up arrow this post.  If you want to down arrow it, that's cool.  But I'm not doing this just to get a bunch of people to up arrow me.  While I may have the most posts, I don't think this board is about me.  One thing I think is great about it is all the unique vantage points that people approach being a fan from.  And share with the rest of us here.  It's ALL the folks who participate who make this such a great board.

Keep it up, HHC.

I resemble the bolded part very well.  Hasn't stopped me from racking up over 7300 posts here!   :D

Serious question - what do up and arrows do?? I'm always observing/posting from my phone, so I don't even think I see them.

I use them as a guideline, honestly.  I check in my profile which posts get up arrows and which ones get downs pretty frequently.  It helps me decide what it is I post that people enjoy reading, so I do more of that.

And then I post less of the down arrow stuff.

I know you say that in jest about not knowing squat about basketball, 49r, but you're a perfect example of how different people contribute a lot of different things.  OK, so perhaps you can't tell us what went on in practice before the tournament.  But you have kept up with the media thread and you take care of the Kenpom updates every season.

Kamdy always has some insight about recruiting.

Dean Smith and basketballjones don't always agree but they chime in with coaching insights a lot of the time and can explain the subtleties and nuances of the game that a lot of us miss.

Swan pulls stuff out of thin air that sometimes makes you drop your jaw.  Like posting about a kid maybe transferring from a Florida school who went to the same HS as our latest PG commit, when I asked who we might be targeting in Florida.  Where'd that come from?

CWG always has headlines.  And not just from the OWH and the Journal-Star. but he finds obscure stuff and posts it.

Cip makes body part jokes.

NUdiehard will occasionally disabuse us of unwarranted optimism, which is needed from time to time.

I could go on and on and on.

Bottom line:  This is a great board.  We have much to appreciate here.  Yeah, sometimes you can find some things you might object to, but all things considered, we're doing well.  And, if you don't think so, just check out some of the other boards around. 

Keep it up, HHC.

I resemble the bolded part very well.  Hasn't stopped me from racking up over 7300 posts here!   :D

I'll one up that 49r. I do know the basic's but nopt the in depth stuff.

Forget it KZ...it's too late.

Silverbacked and I have formed the Beer And Pie Union already.

And we get pie-and-a-half during the offseason!

I don't believe legally you can deny me access just because you've formed some union. Nebraska is a right to beer and pie state! But I'm no crusader hero. I don't want beer and pie thugs tossing empty Mrs. Smith's boxes all over my lawn or tying rotten apple cores to my cat's tail. I'll join if you just tell me how much the dues are. Never mind that you'll use the money to advance causes I don't believe in all they while my wife will have to wear her same thread-bare Husker sweater until we can scrape together enough recycled aluminum cans to buy her something from the thrift store. Oh, the depths we sink to just for beer and pie!

Norm, I'm with you on concept that the board has been good lately, for the most part. There have been snarkier times in the past, that's for sure.

Anyway, the "hot mom" and "free beer" options were classic, and the "Union" option was classic and

well-timed given what just happened with college football. But I had to go with "the Board is bigger than us all", partly in honor of Silverbacked.