Questions I have to ask....

Husker football vs. Husker basketball  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more excited for Husker football or basketball this year?

• Husker football
    • Husker men's basketball
    • Love both equally
  2. 2. Which Husker coach has their program headed in a more positive direction

• Tim Miles
    • Bo Pelini
    • Connie Yori
    • Hard to compare due to where Husker men's basketball has been
    • Darin Erstad

Miles wins an NCAA tournament game before Pelini makes the CFB playoffs.

Will be much easier to get to the basketball tournament, thus giving you the chance.  I hope they both do this soon.

Miles is playing in, potentially, the most difficult conference in the country.  Getting to the tourney is not going to be easy, but I think Miles can get there in the next five years.  Pelini can't win the conference when the two best teams in a weak conference can't even make the conference championship game.  The time for Pelini to make the BCS was last year and he missed it.  B1G football is going to be top-heavy very soon, and Nebraska isn't going to be sniffing the playoffs because they won't get past tOSU or Michigan (let alone both in the same season).  Though he's currently playing in a more difficult conference sport-wise, I have greater faith in Miles to do what has never been done in the history of the school over Pelini to do what several coaches prior have done (play for the big one...or even make one of the "big" bowls).

Will be much easier to get to the basketball tournament, thus giving you the chance.  I hope they both do this soon.

Miles is playing in, potentially, the most difficult conference in the country.  Getting to the tourney is not going to be easy, but I think Miles can get there in the next five years.  Pelini can't win the conference when the two best teams in a weak conference can't even make the conference championship game.  The time for Pelini to make the BCS was last year and he missed it.  B1G football is going to be top-heavy very soon, and Nebraska isn't going to be sniffing the playoffs because they won't get past tOSU or Michigan (let alone both in the same season).  Though he's currently playing in a more difficult conference sport-wise, I have greater faith in Miles to do what has never been done in this history of the school over Pelini to do what several coaches prior have done (play for the big one...or even make one of the "big" bowls).

He didn't say it was going to be easy, he said it was going to be "easier", and he's right.  Miles has to get to the middle of the pack, no easy feat in its own right to be an NCAA worthy team in this conference.

Also, I disagree that the window is closed for NU to get past the conf. title game.  There's talent coming up through the ranks on the defensive side of the ball, they're going to be much more athletic over there.  It might not take hold completely this year, but you're going to see them get closer to the caliber of athlete you saw in 09 and 10 that shut down the Big 12.  They've been stockpiling talent on the offensive side of things so they should be good on that side for a while. 

If NU goes undefeated or even one loss, they're not going to get shut out of the BCS.  There's going to be a lot of things that NU can't control, nor any team for that matter, about getting into the playoffs, and conference schedules is one of those things, they're going to just have to take care of business with what the have in front of them.  They should be in the conference title game 3 of the next 4 years.  If you told me that, I'd take it right now, no questions asked and take my chances they'd find a way to be successful there soon enough.  Get there and anything can happen in a one game situation.

Miles is playing in, potentially, the most difficult conference in the country.  Getting to the tourney is not going to be easy, but I think Miles can get there in the next five years.  Pelini can't win the conference when the two best teams in a weak conference can't even make the conference championship game.  The time for Pelini to make the BCS was last year and he missed it.  B1G football is going to be top-heavy very soon, and Nebraska isn't going to be sniffing the playoffs because they won't get past tOSU or Michigan (let alone both in the same season).  Though he's currently playing in a more difficult conference sport-wise, I have greater faith in Miles to do what has never been done in this history of the school over Pelini to do what several coaches prior have done (play for the big one...or even make one of the "big" bowls).

He didn't say it was going to be easy, he said it was going to be "easier", and he's right.  Miles has to get to the middle of the pack, no easy feat in its own right to be an NCAA worthy team in this conference.

Also, I disagree that the window is closed for NU to get past the conf. title game.  There's talent coming up through the ranks on the defensive side of the ball, they're going to be much more athletic over there.  It might not take hold completely this year, but you're going to see them get closer to the caliber of athlete you saw in 09 and 10 that shut down the Big 12.  They've been stockpiling talent on the offensive side of things so they should be good on that side for a while. 

If NU goes undefeated or even one loss, they're not going to get shut out of the BCS.  There's going to be a lot of things that NU can't control, nor any team for that matter, about getting into the playoffs, and conference schedules is one of those things, they're going to just have to take care of business with what the have in front of them.  They should be in the conference title game 3 of the next 4 years.  If you told me that, I'd take it right now, no questions asked and take my chances they'd find a way to be successful there soon enough.  Get there and anything can happen in a one game situation.

The schedule certainly sets up for a return to the championship game this year, but that will (more than likely) mean facing tOSU and I give Nebraska no chance in such a match up.  Lose the championship game and Michigan will surpass us for the BCS (or playoffs...assuming the BCS or playoffs take two schools from the weakened B1G).

Maybe, depends on what NU's record and MU's record is and if OSU goes to the MNC.  There are a ton of variables that go into who goes where.  

Also, I'm not writing off any game four and a half months before it may or may not happen.  I think by the end of the year, the defense will be pretty good.

Maybe, depends on what NU's record and MU's record is and if OSU goes to the MNC.  There are a ton of variables that go into who goes where.  

Also, I'm not writing off any game four and a half months before it may or may not happen.  I think by the end of the year, the defense will be pretty good.

I hope you're right.

I hope you're right.

Everything I've heard from people that have been to practices, and I mean everybody, it's been unanimous, is that there is going to be a significant upgrade in talent and athleticism almost across the board, they just are going to be inexperienced.  There may be some bumpy moments and they'll probably drive us crazy more than once, but I'm expecting you'll also see them grow steadily.  Hopefully they'll be ready by the time they head to Ann Arbor. 

Yori worries me slightly.  After that Kelsey Griffin run, you'd have thought they'd be getting their foot in the door with top shelf recruits and landing some of them.  But this most recent recruiting class, outside of Allie Havers, seems a little less than wowzer.  And they've missed on a couple of recent in-state girls including Chatrice White and Bri Craig.  I give enormous props to Connie for building the program to where it's risen, but what is the trajectory?  That's the way I understand the poll question.  What is the trajectory?

I voted before Erstad was an option but that wouldn't change my vote. 

If you look at trajectory, Miles seems to be doing all the right things right now. 

Who woulda thought, looking at their stats from their freshman years at Florida and Texas Tech, that Pitchford and Petteway would be receiving the kind of glowing praise they've been getting from the sports journalists who have watched them in practice?  All the Husker beat writers I've read have Petteway basically as a lock to start.  And, universally, I've seen glowing praise of Pitchford's athleticism.  I haven't seen anyone describe either one as raw or unskilled.

So, Petteway, Pitchford and Biggs have been developing in the background, generally sight-unseen by the average fan, ready to step onto the court this season with a full year of development under Miles under their belts.  In this way, Miles has managed to hedge against the loss of the departing seniors from last year.  And, in retrospect, it seems pretty brilliant to have been able to identify those guys, get them on campus, get them in Husker uniforms and have them available and ready to step onto the floor this year more ready to hit the ground running than your typical first-year player.

Second thing I'd like to point out is that we didn't whiff on big man recruits this spring.  I can remember years under Doc where it seemed like that happened.  Like going into Ade's senior year.  Was that the year we missed out on Colton Iverson and the 7 footer who went to Wichita State and the juco PF who went to Okie State?  And probably some others as well.  Leslee Smith is going to help us.  Now.  Whether he starts over Pitchford or starts alongside Pitchford or comes off the bench to sub in for Pitchford, he's a beefy kid who can body up in the paint.  Miles needed a big guy in the '13 class and he not only found one but found one who, by all accounts I've seen, is a guy who can help us.  Like Quincy Hankins-Cole, except one who can and will play.  To use a baseball analogy, Smith is like a clutch single.  Miles needed a hit in order to keep the rally alive and he got it.

And the final thing relating to trajectory is that the recruits arrived.  Too often in the past, the one guy who would have made the class never made it to campus or had some other eligibility issue that derailed things.  We didn't slide anyone out the back door to make room for some questionable/doubtful new guy, and the guys we did sign are in town with one slight, final hurdle for the last guy to clear, which, by all indications, shouldn't be a worry.  And, again, with respect to those recruits, from what all we've heard, they do better than just pass the eyeball test.  Fuller, in particular, has appeared to impress.  And I suspect we'll soon be hearing about Webster.

So.

If the question is about trajectory, my answer is Miles.  I like the trajectory of this basketball team right now.  I can't remember vibe and energy like this surrounding the hoops team since the summer before Strickland, Woolridge and Boone arrived in town.  And that's saying something.

I think all 4 coaches are pretty secure.  Now, ask me that two years from now and the answer might change.  But unless something drastically bad happens with men's hoops, Miles will have at least 5 if not 6 years.  Goes back to trajectory.  Remember Doc's 3rd season when we were the shortest D1 team in the nation and had only Chris Balham and his part-time knees over 6'7"?  Weeeeell, think about what we're looking at in year 3 of Tim Miles. 

It'll be Leslee Smith's 2nd year in the program, Pitchford's 3rd, Vucetic's 3rd, Shields's 3rd and Rivers's 4th.  That would be 4 guys in line for regular playing time who would be taller than any of the guys Doc regularly played his 3rd season.  And there's always a possibility that we sub in another big in the '14 class.

Tim's 3rd season will likely also feature Webster's 2nd year, Hawkins' 2nd year, Fuller's 2nd year, Parker's 3rd year and Biggs's 3rd year.  So, we should have plenty of seasoned depth as we go along the next couple of years, compared to Doc who basically started over in year 4.

I think Tim is going to have to hit a homerun with that '15 recruiting class to keep that upward trajectory, but I think he has plenty of time and I think he's set to solidify some security over the next at least couple of seasons.

I think all 4 coaches are pretty secure.  Now, ask me that two years from now and the answer might change.  But unless something drastically bad happens with men's hoops, Miles will have at least 5 if not 6 years.  Goes back to trajectory.  Remember Doc's 3rd season when we were the shortest D1 team in the nation and had only Chris Balham and his part-time knees over 6'7"?  Weeeeell, think about what we're looking at in year 3 of Tim Miles. 

It'll be Leslee Smith's 2nd year in the program, Pitchford's 3rd, Vucetic's 3rd, Shields's 3rd and Rivers's 4th.  That would be 4 guys in line for regular playing time who would be taller than any of the guys Doc regularly played his 3rd season.  And there's always a possibility that we sub in another big in the '14 class.

Tim's 3rd season will likely also feature Webster's 2nd year, Hawkins' 2nd year, Fuller's 2nd year, Parker's 3rd year and Biggs's 3rd year.  So, we should have plenty of seasoned depth as we go along the next couple of years, compared to Doc who basically started over in year 4.

I think Tim is going to have to hit a homerun with that '15 recruiting class to keep that upward trajectory, but I think he has plenty of time and I think he's set to solidify some security over the next at least couple of seasons.

Well said, Norm.

Will be much easier to get to the basketball tournament, thus giving you the chance. I hope they both do this soon.

Miles is playing in, potentially, the most difficult conference in the country. Getting to the tourney is not going to be easy, but I think Miles can get there in the next five years. Pelini can't win the conference when the two best teams in a weak conference can't even make the conference championship game. The time for Pelini to make the BCS was last year and he missed it. B1G football is going to be top-heavy very soon, and Nebraska isn't going to be sniffing the playoffs because they won't get past tOSU or Michigan (let alone both in the same season). Though he's currently playing in a more difficult conference sport-wise, I have greater faith in Miles to do what has never been done in this history of the school over Pelini to do what several coaches prior have done (play for the big one...or even make one of the "big" bowls).

He didn't say it was going to be easy, he said it was going to be "easier", and he's right. Miles has to get to the middle of the pack, no easy feat in its own right to be an NCAA worthy team in this conference.

Also, I disagree that the window is closed for NU to get past the conf. title game. There's talent coming up through the ranks on the defensive side of the ball, they're going to be much more athletic over there. It might not take hold completely this year, but you're going to see them get closer to the caliber of athlete you saw in 09 and 10 that shut down the Big 12. They've been stockpiling talent on the offensive side of things so they should be good on that side for a while.

If NU goes undefeated or even one loss, they're not going to get shut out of the BCS. There's going to be a lot of things that NU can't control, nor any team for that matter, about getting into the playoffs, and conference schedules is one of those things, they're going to just have to take care of business with what the have in front of them. They should be in the conference title game 3 of the next 4 years. If you told me that, I'd take it right now, no questions asked and take my chances they'd find a way to be successful there soon enough. Get there and anything can happen in a one game situation.

The schedule certainly sets up for a return to the championship game this year, but that will (more than likely) mean facing tOSU and I give Nebraska no chance in such a match up. Lose the championship game and Michigan will surpass us for the BCS (or playoffs...assuming the BCS or playoffs take two schools from the weakened B1G).
"Lose the championship game and Michigan will surpass us for the BCS".

This is not absolutely true. If Michigan loses to Nebraska and then again to Ohio St late in the season, then Nebraska would go to the Rose Bowl, if Ohio St is undefeated, which would put them in the National Championship game...

Will be much easier to get to the basketball tournament, thus giving you the chance. I hope they both do this soon.
Miles is playing in, potentially, the most difficult conference in the country. Getting to the tourney is not going to be easy, but I think Miles can get there in the next five years. Pelini can't win the conference when the two best teams in a weak conference can't even make the conference championship game. The time for Pelini to make the BCS was last year and he missed it. B1G football is going to be top-heavy very soon, and Nebraska isn't going to be sniffing the playoffs because they won't get past tOSU or Michigan (let alone both in the same season). Though he's currently playing in a more difficult conference sport-wise, I have greater faith in Miles to do what has never been done in this history of the school over Pelini to do what several coaches prior have done (play for the big one...or even make one of the "big" bowls).
He didn't say it was going to be easy, he said it was going to be "easier", and he's right. Miles has to get to the middle of the pack, no easy feat in its own right to be an NCAA worthy team in this conference.

Also, I disagree that the window is closed for NU to get past the conf. title game. There's talent coming up through the ranks on the defensive side of the ball, they're going to be much more athletic over there. It might not take hold completely this year, but you're going to see them get closer to the caliber of athlete you saw in 09 and 10 that shut down the Big 12. They've been stockpiling talent on the offensive side of things so they should be good on that side for a while.

If NU goes undefeated or even one loss, they're not going to get shut out of the BCS. There's going to be a lot of things that NU can't control, nor any team for that matter, about getting into the playoffs, and conference schedules is one of those things, they're going to just have to take care of business with what the have in front of them. They should be in the conference title game 3 of the next 4 years. If you told me that, I'd take it right now, no questions asked and take my chances they'd find a way to be successful there soon enough. Get there and anything can happen in a one game situation.

The schedule certainly sets up for a return to the championship game this year, but that will (more than likely) mean facing tOSU and I give Nebraska no chance in such a match up. Lose the championship game and Michigan will surpass us for the BCS (or playoffs...assuming the BCS or playoffs take two schools from the weakened B1G).
"Lose the championship game and Michigan will surpass us for the BCS".

This is not absolutely true. If Michigan loses to Nebraska and then again to Ohio St late in the season, then Nebraska would go to the Rose Bowl, if Ohio St is undefeated, which would put them in the National Championship game...

Yes, that could happen.  But I don't think we'll beat Michigan.

Yes, all of that is spot on. I believe we are entering a "Golden Age" for Husker hoops and I do think all 4 coaches are mostly to very safe. The one with the shortest leash could be...............Pelini.

This is indeed a basketball site, and I would be surprised by any result that did not have Coach Miles either first or a very, very close second.  I think Coach Miles has the ship headed in the right direction.  My only hesitation is that we have been down this road a lot as a Husker basketball fan.  Yet, this trip seems different, and for that feeling, I am pretty darn happy.

I join HB and a few others with their view on Bo.  The man is doing a very good job.  He has rebuilt the foundation of the team, which is extremely difficult to do.  It is my observation that the direction of his program is up. 

I look at almost every program at UNL and think it is heading in the right direction.  There may be a hiccup up two, but generally, the UNL athletic house is in good shape with good coaching staff's in place. 

You nailed it. Out basketball program has been down this road for the previous 2 coaches yet it does some how seem different. Improved recruiting, the special emphasis TO put on improving our program was invaluable. Of course enough can't be said Tim Miles who is a proven winner and has worked his way up the ranks the hard way. Also, for the first time in a long time we are all united behind the same coach, or at least a large majority of us are, which is something we couldn't say for either Collier or Doc. 

I also agree with you about Bo. Some people have dug their heels in the ground about Bo and aren't willing to admit that he's matured as a head coach. He is fiercely loyal to his players, and they love playing for him. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to leave either of my son's under his charge. If anybodies idea of a program going sideways is playing in major bowl games and going to conference championships then I've got nothing for you, and you deserve all that the Bill Callahans' of the football coaching world are willing to give you. Yes, there are definitely some things that need to be fixed, mainly the defense, but this football program is in the hands of the right person. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's pretty clear that at least right now, Miles has the most positive momentum in his program.

Of course, when you take over a program that has no where to go but up, it's hard not to.  But still, it's gotta be Timmy Boy on this one.