Ashley Scoggins sues Nebraska.

Bugeaters1

24 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

I don't think so ... bc the author is only reporting on the content of the legal filing not personally asserting that it is true. 

Oh, I have no trouble believing that a coach would do what Love is accused of.  That happens a lot.  What I meant was that no coach, upon hearing this, would respond in the way that the suit accuses AW of having done.  See below. 

Not quite.  The last thing the school wants to do is to further injure the player.  The school has the responsibility to protect the players.  As alleged here, the school was failed to do so. The school can claim to have had no knowledge.  BUT .... to have the sort of meeting in which players were knowingly enabled by the school to harass the aggrieved player - that is the first thing the school cannot do.  

And please everyone let's remember what the school is SAID to have done after the confrontation incident is all allegation without support.  Let's please not reach any conclusions based only on allegations.

Once the incident and the video came to coach's attention, she knew the follow up action was not within her purview as a coach.  I believe that she contacted administration and whatever action was taken was consistent with what she was told,  If - stressing the hypothetical - such was not the case, then she is in trouble.

And one thing more .... all UNL student athletes are told about the school's and the department's policy on sexual harassment, inappropriate conduct both physical and verbal. They know the available channels for reporting such. If the victim doesn't report, the school's ability to protect her is compromised.

And one more thing more .... it does strike me as hard to believe that AW et.al. had no inkling of the coach's tendency.  Perhaps he was confronted and cautioned and warned and that he was just so convincing in his denial as to be believed. 

This sounds very plausible. I’m guessing this may have gone  to higher ups in the administration similar to a couple football players a few years ago?  It may have been taken out of the hands of coach and athletic department. 

I don't know much of anything about the specifics of this case. I DO know what it is like to be sued. The AD would do well to get the best SOB attorney they can afford, shut up, get out of the way and let him/her do the job. Even if the AD is guilty as sin it doesn't mean they need to bend over and grab their ankles.

If it were me, I would have Included Love in the law suit.  Understand going after the University as they have deep pockets but Love is the one who took advantage of her.   I would go after him for every penny he has.  Attorney fees only would most likely bankrupt him.  

8 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

First reaction:   I CALL BULLS**T !!!   Not on what is alleged of the assistant coach but on the reported reaction of the HCAW.  No coach would handle the situation in the manner alleged.  Instead she would have been in immediate contact with the AD who would have brought in the lawyers who would have advised that the AC be separated from the team - as happened.  There would not have been an hours long team meeting at which the player was shouted at.  My guess is that some shyster lawyer sees this opportunity to shake down the university ... that as a respondent UNL would have to choose between re-living the whole incident (obtaining testimony from players - thus subjecting them to cross examination) and disrupting the program vs  just settling the suit.  Obviously the AD has a ton of money and the litigants might hope that UNL would rather part with a couple million rather than open an old would.  In another word ..... shakedown.

Its unfathomable but i heard about this meeting before & couldnt believe it. Then this came out and confirmed what I had heard. Its hard to believe but people do crazy dumb things all the time. 

13 minutes ago, Huskerfanzzz said:

If AS has any screenshots or texts to verify some of her accusations, this is a done deal and she will get paid. I also have a hard time believing Amy Williams will be able to keep her job if that happened. JMO. 

Prediction:  This will end with a confidential out of court settlement.  "Confidential" meaning that the parties will agree to zip their lips and move on.  

And AW will not lose her job over this. ADTA and the UNL higher ups have been well aware of all that happened since it happened. Little, it anything, that is said in the suit will be new to them. Having been aware of this all along and having chosen not to fire the coach .... that won't change simply because it has now been publicly exposed.  

on 93.7 the three legged stool stated that there was a Title IX investigation going on, but, was dropped after Love was dismissed. wonder why? they also said that Nebraska vigorously denies some of these allegations.

maybe at some point, Love will share his side of the story. i don't believe it will be in court, though.

i have seen the question thrown at Coach Williams a handful of times---what's it like being the head coach at Nebraska? a couple of those times she got a bit emotional. you could see it in her eyes. she absolutely loves her alma mater. i would be rather shocked and saddened if she put herself in a position of getting fired. i read where Williams told teammates to berate Love and Scoggins??? again, stunned if that would be proven true. if it is a lie, what else is Scoggins lying about? again, putting her coaching acumen aside, Amy Williams is full of gratitude to be coaching at the University of Nebraska. i guess we will see how things shake out down the road. 

i'll add this, some of you may remember i knew the Gusso's. i played with and against her father in amatuer baseball.....and first met him while he was an asst bb coach in the ESD (south dakota). 

Edited by whoopdeedoo

6 minutes ago, whoopdeedoo said:

on 93.7 the three legged stool stated that there was a Title IX investigation going on, but, was dropped after Love was dismissed. wonder why? they also said that Nebraska vigorously denies some of these allegations.

maybe some at some point, Love will share his side of the story. i don't believe it will be in court, though. 

i have seen the question thrown at Coach Williams a handful of times---what's it like being the head coach at Nebraska? a couple of those times she got a bit emotional. you could see it in her eyes. she absolutely loves her alma mater. i would be rather shocked and saddened if she put herself in a position of getting fired. i read where Williams told teammates to berate Love and Scoggins??? again, stunned if that would be proven true. if it is a lie, what else is Scoggins lying about? again, putting her coaching acumen aside, Amy Williams is full of gratitude to be coaching at the University of Nebraska. i guess we will see how things shake out down the road. 

i'll add this, some of you may remember i knew the Gusso's. i played with and against her father in amatuer baseball.....and first met him while he was an asst bb coach in the ESD (south dakota). 

I think it was dropped because he was no longer a university employee at that point.  That oftentimes happens at universities (not just NU) when an employee is under investigation for something of this nature.  If they leave, then the university drops the investigation.

Edited by huskerchode

IN the Omaha newspaper today.. REMEMBER..THIS IS SOGGINS SIDE OF THE STORY.   Doesn't mean it's true or false.

Aformer member of the Nebraska women's basketball team is suing the University of Nebraska after she was dismissed from the team amid allegations of an inappropriate relationship with an assistant coach.

Ashley Scoggin

In a lawsuit filed Sunday in U.S. District Court in Lincoln, Ashley Scoggin accused former associate head coach Chuck Love of using his position and influence with head coach Amy Williams to groom her into a sexual relationship.

The lawsuit also alleges Williams and Husker Athletic Director Trev Alberts failed to ensure the coaching staff maintained appropriate boundaries with student-athletes and of violating Scoggin's rights.

Scoggin was removed from the team and Love was suspended from his coaching duties in February 2022 after other members of the team discovered them together in a hotel room on a road trip.

A spokeswoman for NU said the university was made aware of the lawsuit Monday morning.

"While the university does not comment on the specifics of pending litigation, it does not agree with the allegations contained in the complaint and intends to vigorously defend this matter," spokeswoman Melissa Lee said in a text.

What Scoggin said occurred

According to the lawsuit filed by Scottsbluff attorney Maren Lynn Chaloupka, Scoggin said Love began grooming her months earlier, in the summer of 2021, when she secured an internship within Husker Athletics and was invited to work in his office, spending one-on-one time with him.

Chuck Love

Love, who is married, began contacting Scoggin late at night on social media, asking the college student to meet him, and sometimes Williams’ husband, for drinks, the lawsuit alleges. Scoggin said she initially declined the invitations, but later accepted, meeting Love in the parking lot of a Costco.

At Love’s request, Scoggin said she brought alcohol with her to a subsequent meeting in the parking lot, according to the lawsuit, where he kissed her and asked if she had previously ever had an intimate relationship with a coach.

“Love had already offered and given her mentoring, individual practice sessions, academic coaching, and the implied promise of support of her career,” the complaint states. “It was now undeniable that Lovewanted a sexual relationship

Scoggin said in the lawsuit she felt “confused and trapped” and feared retaliation from Williams, which led her to keep the interaction to herself. Love would share information about discussions among the coaching staff with her, she said.

“Love, acting in the course and scope of his employment and under color of state law, created the perception for (Scoggin) that he could ‘make her or break her’ in terms of her participation on the women’s basketball team and her future,” the lawsuit states.

The relationship eventually became sexual, according to the lawsuit, and the two would meet “in different locations” in university athletics’ facilities, or in his hotel room during road games: “Love expected her to become available whenever he texted or messaged her.”

The complaint indicates Scoggin began to suspect others were aware of the inappropriate relationship but did not know how to remove herself from the situation before the Huskers traveled to Penn State University in February 2022.

There, according to the complaint, a member of the practice squad represented himself as Love to an employee of the hotel in order to obtain a copy of the room key. Two teammates later confronted Scoggin in Love’s room, recording the interaction.

“Love instructed (Scoggin) to deny anything improper, and he told her that he would talk to Williams,” the lawsuit states.

Amy Williams 

Williams called a team meeting before the game where she allegedly allowed other players to “interrogate” both Scoggin and Love about their relationship for hours, but both denied anything improper, according to the complaint.

“(Scoggin) felt panicked, trapped and profoundly ashamed,” the lawsuit states. “She could not, in that setting with Love inches away and watching her, admit the truth of what was happening.”

Love was suspended with pay before the game, while Scoggin was removed from the team. The lawsuit states another unnamed player told Scoggin that Love would lose his job if she said anything, while Love encouraged her to claim she was mentally ill.

Scoggin later had a meeting with her parents, Williams, and Alberts, in which she said the university employees “were motivated to avoid scandal and embarrassment” to the women’s basketball team instead of protecting a student-athlete.

The lawsuit alleges Alberts did not acknowledge it was improper for coaches to pursue sexual relationships with athletes, and there was no discussion about whether or not Love had acted inappropriately leading up to Scoggin being in his hotel room.

Nebraska Athletic Director Trev Alberts

Alberts later told Scoggin and her parents that Williams would decide how the situation would be handled.

Scoggin said in the lawsuit no investigation was ordered until she started a Title IX complaint on March 11, 2022. The Title IX investigation was later dropped after Love resigned in May.

As a result of her being removed from the team, Scoggin lost her housing, access to game film, and other athletic amenities, and finished the academic semester online.

She eventually transferred to the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

Scoggin is seeking punitive damages, attorney's fees, and other compensation for her physical and mental pain and suffering at a jury trial, as well as "other and further relief as this court deems equitable and proper."

Chaloupka told the Associated Press the allegation of a collegiate coach pursuing a sexual relationship with student-athlete was "troubling" and said NU failed in its responsibility to protect Scoggin.

"There's an enormous imbalance of power between the professional coach and student-athletes. This is something that was well known in 2022," Chaloupka said. “Certainly Division I universities that operate at the top level are well aware of the harm that comes from this kind of a predatory situation, and there's a strong onus on the university and on the coaches to prevent this from happening and, heaven forbid it does happen, to address is correctly.”

Edited by redsteve

20 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

I think it was dropped because he was no longer a university employee at that point.  That oftentimes happens at universities (not just NU) when an employee is under investigation for something of this nature.  If they leave, then the university drops the investigation.

thanks for the explanation

I think she is after one person in this lawsuit, that being Amy Williams. As pointed why not go after Love. I think it was stated here he is currently not coaching. So maybe she feels he is paying his price for his part in this. Granted she named UNL, Alberts, an Williams in the lawsuit. Also pointed out here how much Amy loves coaching here. What better way to get back at someone who you feel did not protect you or stand up for you as a women. JMHO.

I absolutely do not believe, as is alleged, that the UNL AD lacks a policy - any policy at all - regarding sexual harassment and sexual relationships between coaches and student athletes nor that student athletes are not instructed/informed of how to report same.  That would be unimaginable malpractice for any major employer.  The presence of this ridiculously implausible allegation, in my opinion, calls into question the credibility of every other aspect of the filing. 

Just simply look here.  https://www.unl.edu/equity/NonDiscrimination.htm#:~:text=The University of Nebraska-Lincoln,ethnicity%2C national origin%2C sex%2C      This and the sub links explain in detail what the policy is and how to initiate a complaint.  While one can allege that the policy was not correctly followed, it is just plain ludicrous on its face to assert that no policy exists.  

Edited by Tom Jones
omitted something

25 minutes ago, huskerchode said:

It really does, I just skimmed all of it.  I'm very curious about item #82.  

Items #12 and #13 also point out this may have been an ongoing issue with Love and I think answers some of the “students” questions we had above.

Im also curious as it hints at Williams husband possibly knowing but never outright says that he knew.  (#40)

21 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Items #12 and #13 also point out this may have been an ongoing issue with Love and I think answers some of the “students” questions we had above.

Im also curious as it hints at Williams husband possibly knowing but never outright says that he knew.  (#40)

I noticed how her parents were in on one of the meetings with AD TA.  I agree, it definitely hints at Williams' husband knowing about this (and Williams herself).  

2 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

Prediction:  This will end with a confidential out of court settlement.  "Confidential" meaning that the parties will agree to zip their lips and move on.  

And AW will not lose her job over this. ADTA and the UNL higher ups have been well aware of all that happened since it happened. Little, it anything, that is said in the suit will be new to them. Having been aware of this all along and having chosen not to fire the coach .... that won't change simply because it has now been publicly exposed.  

What about the part involving Coach Williams husband? And what was allowed during the team meeting? 

AW's husband seems quite peripheral at this point.

As for this team meeting .... I am really suspect about not only at the characterization of it but also whether it actually happened.  As I said in another post on here, I key in on the assertion in the suit that the athletic department lacks any policy - any policy at all - about sexual relationships between students and UNL employees. This is outright ludicrous. Every major employer has such policies and UNL's is easily discoverable on the web.  https://www.unl.edu/equity/NonDiscrimination.htm#:~:text=The University of Nebraska-Lincoln,ethnicity%2C national origin%2C sex%2C   The assertion is patently untrue.  One can argue as to how it has been applied but to say it doesn't exist is just silly.  And, to me, this assertion, being central to all else, taints the credibility of everything else said in the filing.

In my work, I have been privy to other such complaints of sexual misconduct/harassment.  In my experience, a usual legal tactic is to file a complaint saying whatever is necessary to get the case in front of judge without concern as to whether it can be proven.  So many complaints initially include sensational allegations which, having fulfilled their purpose, are abandoned once the case moves forward.  I can easily believe that this alleged team meeting is such.