Drivable First-round Venues

Believe the seeding is done first and then they logically sort out the locations that make the most sense, starting with the top teams playing near home.  I don’t think they would worry about us playing in Omaha, but also won’t they to make it happen as we won’t be high up on the pecking order.  

5 hours ago, royalfan said:

Believe the seeding is done first and then they logically sort out the locations that make the most sense, starting with the top teams playing near home.  I don’t think they would worry about us playing in Omaha, but also won’t they to make it happen as we won’t be high up on the pecking order.  

Unless NU can put together a massive win streak to become an unstoppable force, it's a daunting task. That type of gargantuan effort could garner attention as a top 4 seed-line, but yeah, barring that, it's a sheer long shot at this point in time. GBR

Edited by AuroranHusker

22 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Does that mean they'd most likely try and not put us in Omaha as like an 8-9 seed?

I do remember last year that Auburn was a 9 seed but played in Birmingham, which was a 2 hour drive from their campus. 

While it happens occasionally, I'd be shocked if this occured. But you make a great point there about last year. 

20 minutes ago, Busch Light said:

Wouldn’t mind Memphis. Kind of a crap hole but their food is unreal. Should we win our first NCAA tourney game, I’ll shut down Beale Street and drink them out of Busch Light. 

That’s a biiiig assumption.  Do we know for certain that………… Memphis would even have Busch Light?

10 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Not going to over or understate this...we have work to do before we should even discuss venue.  We simply fall apart away from the vault.

Sorry, a little frustrated by this Maryland game so far.

Edited by Huskerpapa

• 3 weeks later...

First Four and First Round tournament distances, regardless of indeterminant drivability

f6fbde23-5535-4239-a06c-2a0bc4f7a707_tex

March 19-20

U. of Dayton Arena, Dayton, OH -- 764 miles; 11 hrs 27 min

March 21-23

CHI Center, Omaha, NE -- 58.5 miles; 1 hr 3 min

Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Lake City, UT -- 879.4 miles; 12 hrs 59 min

PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, PA -- 969 miles; 14 hrs 34 minutes

Spectrum Center, Charlotte, NC -- 1162 miles; 17 hrs 28 min

March 22-24

Gainbridge Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN -- 650.1 miles; 9 hrs 51 min

FedExForum, Memphis, TN -- 652.2 miles; 10 hrs 22 min

Barclays Center, Brooklyn, NY -- 1358 miles; 21 hrs 10 min

Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena, Spokane, WA -- 1389 miles; 21 hrs 11 min

Honorable Mention - B1G Tourney

Target Center - Minneapolis, MN -- 433 miles; 6 hrs 21 min

On 1/10/2024 at 7:02 PM, Norm Peterson said:

I mean, just in the event you got a wild hair and decided you wanted to go take a road trip to check out some 1st and 2nd round NCAA tourney basketball action.

March 21-23

CHI Center, Omaha, NE -- 58.5 miles; 1 hr 3 min

Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Lake City, UT -- 879.4 miles; 12 hrs 59 min

March 22-24

Gainbridge Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, IN -- 650.1 miles; 9 hrs 51 min

FedExForum, Memphis, TN -- 652.2 miles; 10 hrs 22 min

Memphis, other than going to Memphis, would be a simple drive from here.

6 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Casually checking one way flights out of Omaha to all these locations around tourney time and ATM they're all reasonable, FWIW

Omaha has a lot of good flights, which can not be said for the Lincoln Airport in its current state of affairs. RED WAY kind of screwed Lincoln, it seems.

6 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Omaha has a lot of good flights, which can not be said for the Lincoln Airport in its current state of affairs. RED WAY kind of screwed Lincoln, it seems.

The flights out of Omaha that connect in Denver or Chicago tend to work out ok out of Lincoln.