NCAA vs. NIT

Tom Jones

1 minute ago, brfrad said:

Nebraska should be in.  I honestly can say I don't follow women's basketball.  However, all the metrics say we should be in.  They give Illinois and Purdue bids.  We beat Illinois by 33 on the road.  We beat Purdue on the road.  Took #1 seed Indiana to OT on the road.  Purdue had 8 Q1/Q2 wins.  A better non conf SOS.  A better NET.  7 Q1/Q2 wins.  I want to know their criteria. 

Bad losses?

According to Creme, Nebraska was in the second group of 4 teams that were out of the NCAA . Had we won the Minn and Mich St  games near the end of the season, and at least one B1G tourney game...... we could have been real close to making it. You can't lose 3 games at the end of season. Just killed us.

For what ever it's worth we did have a real tough schedule......but we didn't win some of the games "we should have won"

WNIT Almost a sure thing if that's possible to say. But don't want to hex them.  We'll see in a few minutes.  

12 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Per your post:

Lincoln - The Nebraska women's basketball team earned its third consecutive postseason berth on Sunday night, when the Huskers were selected to play in the Women's National Invitational Tournament.

The Huskers (16-14) claimed the Big Ten Conference's automatic bid into the 64-team field after finishing with an 8-10 league mark. Nebraska, which closed the season at No. 43 in the NCAA NET rankings, is hopeful to host a first-round game in the 64-team field, which begins with first-round play March 15-17. The full bracket for the field will be announced on Monday.

1 hour ago, Cazzie22 said:

Matt’s former broadcast school.  Hope the Huskers are focused or it will be a waste of time. Get Maggie M some playing time. 

Agree about Maggie M. As little as Maggie played this year, it’s almost like she wasted a year of her eligibility and could have instead taken a valuable redshirt year. 

59 minutes ago, redsteve said:

2023 WNIT bracket

We play at HOME at  6:00 on Wed. Missouri State

(Have seen it at 3:15 PM too, so will have to wait a while to confirm)

The winner of that game will play the Northern Iowa-Colorado State winner in the second round.

Nebraska is the Big Ten’s automatic qualifier to the WNIT as the highest-finishing team in the regular season standings that was not selected for the NCAA Tournament.

Coatney comfirmed it this morning.

2 hours ago, Neb Nets said:

Agree about Maggie M. As little as Maggie played this year, it’s almost like she wasted a year of her eligibility and could have instead taken a valuable redshirt year. 

Well, she may not be just hanging out here a year after her collegiate VB playing days are over. 

At any rate, what she's trying to do - at 17 no less - is really, really hard. Jennifer Hamson probably did it best among college players. Cepero did it best at Nebraska. And she was a pretty spectacular athlete. 

To be clear, I think she oughta play more in the NIT. But who knows if that'll happen. 

Edited by swmckewon

5 minutes ago, swmckewon said:

Well, she may not be just hanging out here a year after her collegiate VB playing days are over. 

At any rate, what she's trying to do - at 17 no less - is really, really hard. Jennifer Hamson probably did it best among college players. Cepero did it best at Nebraska. And she was a pretty spectacular athlete. 

To be clear, I think she oughta play more in the NIT. But who knows if that'll happen. 

Fair point. I’m guilty of forgetting just how young Maggie is. 

Done some brief research...

Missouri State is no slouch. They're well coached (she was an assistant at Notre Dame and Duke for about 10-15 years before becoming head coach at another school before Missouri St)  I think she (coach Cunningham) was at Notre Dame as an assistant when Jess Shepard was there..(natl championship).  

(trivia....she played at and is Notre Dame's all time leading scorer)

They have some quick slashing guards, good rebounding. (watched a clip of short video)

They have won lots of games this year, and also in their past history. Common opponent They lost to Drake by a few points.  We lost to Drake by about 18. 

We must be ready for this one.