The Media Thread

Bugeaters1

Just read that the WNBA Fever vs. Sun game tonight had tickets going for as much as $700 for Clark first official game. That game is sold out. Their first sell out since their first official game 21 years ago.  Also read Clark's first home game against the Liberty has court side seats going for close to $2900 each. 

Just read that the WNBA Fever vs. Sun game tonight had tickets going for as much as $700 for Clark first official game. That game is sold out. Their first sell out since their first official game 21 years ago.  Also read Clark's first home game against the Liberty has court side seats going for close to $2900 each. 
Ain't she special.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny watching the wnba games. We all complain about the refs in college ball and it's quite entertaining seeing then be even more inconsistent in the pro league. Maybe we can start getting some change with be consistent the whole game. Just makes me giggle to see these pros get tech after tech only a few games in. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

It's funny watching the wnba games. We all complain about the refs in college ball and it's quite entertaining seeing then be even more inconsistent in the pro league. Maybe we can start getting some change with be consistent the whole game. Just makes me giggle to see these pros get tech after tech only a few games in. 

Sad part about this is the refs that do the WNBA also do the college WBB.

Edited by Bugeaters1

14 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Sad part about this is the refs that do the WNBA also do the college WBB.

Bugs:

There is a lot of complaining (and a little bit of praise) on here about the refs.  Apart from the criticism and discontent, what would you suggest be done about it?  I mean if it is hopeless, then I guess we just have to live with it and there is little point in whining.  In your view is there anything that can be done to make them better?  And if so, what would it be? 

Are there ANY refs out there who, in your opinion do a good job?  

Edited by Tom Jones
omitted something

16 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

Bugs:

There is a lot of complaining (and a little bit of praise) on here about the refs.  Apart from the criticism and discontent, what would you suggest be done about it?  I mean if it is hopeless, then I guess we just have to live with it and there is little point in whining.  In your view is there anything that can be done to make them better?  And if so, what would it be? 

Here is a start.  Alleviate contact.  If you call some contact; but not all contact, it creates controversy for the referees.   Soon, players will understand and adjust their games.  Secondly, review the rule book.  Remove all rules that will not be enforced.  Any rules left, enforce them.

Point being, the inconsistancy of calls create the issues.  The timing of calls create issues.  Non-calls create issues.  

Next, remove the human element from the equation where possible.  

Officiating at any level and in any sport is a thankless job.  Most officials are competent and strive to do the right thing.  And oh yeah...players and coaches need to shut the f*** up.  All calls are not wrong.  The constant complaining ruins the flow and joy that a game should bring.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Bugs:

Are there ANY refs out there who, in your opinion do a good job?  
I dont whine, too much. Refs are garbage. Also, I was just pointing out the fact that in the women's game, the refs do both WNBA and college. Maybe there is a fatigue factor. Maybe the WNBA or the college game needs to hire different refs and not have them work year round.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

One I would like to see happen is coaches be given two challenges per game to have calls reviewed or if a call is missed to get it corrected. The NBA and the WNBA coaches both have this in their back pocket. For example what if the 5 second call not made in the Iowa game was the finish to that game, and we go to OT and loose it? That would be a call they can review. How about the missed call on the OSU game where Nissley gets plowed over. They did a review for a  F1 but could not go back to made a foul call even when it clearly was a foul and they admit it should have been called. Also agree on all the hand checking, swiping they happens and some get called and most do not. I also do firmly believe their are refs who do not not like NE and will make calls against them. This also goes with other schools not just a NE thing. That happens at all levels (knew a few who called HS games and told me they made sure to miss or make bogus calls against a few schools).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good article in the OWH today.  (Brent C. Wagner)   After summer workouts and approximately 15 practices, it sounds like Prince is exceeding Coach expectations. Hargrove also impresses.  Kennedi will redshirt.  Also, Weidner and Nissley recovering nicely from injuries/surgeries.