The 2016 Transfer Thread

hhcmatt

I thought I heard Jordy's HS coach say something in the interview he did on 1480 this afternoon, that led me to believe we may have another big in the works.  Perhaps it was my hopeful imagination.  Perhaps we will know for sure in the next few weeks.

Link?

I have no clue how to link anything.  I am not that savvy. 

All I know is that Chris Schmidt was conducting the interview of the HC and then towards the end the coach mentioned that Jordy was sitting with him.  The next segment Schmidty was interviewing Jordy. 

Back to the HC interview.  Schmidty asked him what we can expect out of Jordy next season.  He said he was going to surprise people.  His transition wouldn't be that difficult because he is a hard worker and he played top level competition.  At that point he said Nebraska had a great group of players coming back and two other freshmen who should come in and contribute.  He then made mention of a new transfer.  The way he said it did not lead me to believe he was talking about the Miami transfer.  Again, I may be very, very wrong.  What I heard and what I thought I heard may vary.  But again, to me, he made it sound as if we may be going after another transfer, but this guy would share time at the 5 with Jordy.

Sorry guys, that was a Link Kabadyundi pun. When the radio link comes up, I'll post it 

I thought I heard Jordy's HS coach say something in the interview he did on 1480 this afternoon, that led me to believe we may have another big in the works. Perhaps it was my hopeful imagination. Perhaps we will know for sure in the next few weeks.

Link?
He probably heard it live on the radio rather than on-line.

Oh, you meant the other Link. So, like, I hope not. Sorry, but I just hope someone else. Like someone actually good or something.

Wait so was something more said in the live radio version versus an edited interview? Is that what's being said here? I listened to the posted interview and Jordy's coach was talking about some of the stiff conception he's faced and he mentions that he's gone up against a 7 footer in practice every day, a German kid. And so is there another version of the interview where the coach hints that we are after him? Because I didn't hear that at all.

I was making a play on words/names.

I think Dimes was asking whether the "another big" was Jordy's brother, Link.

However, usually in this context, when someone says "Link" they're asking for proof of what you say.

Well, that was quick...

That's one way to get back to a Big Ten school.

That was my thought on this news, as well.... 

I don't know if NU does/would/should have any interest. There are some potential character red flags there from the outside looking in. But it's an intriguing option.

I remember when we were first looking at him I ran across some tweets that implied he was involved in a group that might have raped a girl. I dont think he was involved but he was calling the girl a whore and saying his buddies were not involved.

I got a really bad taste in my mouth on the whole thing and his character. I tried googling the story and couldnt find it so i apologize if i got some facts wrong.

Everything i have read about the kid, i want nothing to do with him.

His dad also seems like quite the involved dad.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/12/freshman_guard_austin_grandsta.html

"I didn't watch Ohio State play enough before we committed"

There are red flags all over that sentence when it comes from the mouth of the parent and not the player.

That article just goes to show that parents are creeping into college athletics. And how about the fact that Austin is already a dad, and rather than pick a school close to home to help raise his child, he moved away for college. I'm guessing the article would have said something about the child and the child's mother if they moved to Ohio with him. This kid sounds like trouble. As a father of two kids, I could never leave them like he potentially has. He sounds like a spoiled brat, and his father sounds like someone who would make endless excuses for his son, as if his son is never wrong.

Charles Matthews, a Chicago kid, is transferring from Kentucky.

He even looks like Andrew White.

And 3 years to play.

Hard to say no to a kid like that, but think Palmer fits that role....

6'6 wing is something we have had no problem attracting... Not sure if it fits with what we have and needs wise.

EDIT: He was the # 2 kid from Illinois.... Just so happens we already go the #3(Glynn) and #5(Ed) that year... Might as well get the #2.

We didnt seem to have interest the first time around so doubt this goes anywhere but would assume Glynn and Ed might know him.

And 3 years to play.

6'6 wing is something we have had no problem attracting... Not sure if it fits with what we have and needs wise.

EDIT: He was the # 2 kid from Illinois.... Just so happens we already go the #3(Glynn) and #5(Ed) that year... Might as well get the #2.

We didnt seem to have interest the first time around so doubt this goes anywhere but would assume Glynn and Ed might know him.

Are you kidding me?  Yes, this would fit a big need.

He's a 2-guard/wing.  If White and Webster return for their senior seasons, we'll be losing two players at that position after next year (during which this guy is redshirting).  It's a position we're already thin at even with the addition of Palmer.  Palmer would come in with 2 years to play and this could would have 3.  It would be as though he was a part of the Jordy, Jeriah, Isaiah class which would give us a guard in that class.

I would go very hard after this kid if there was a chance we could reel him in.

And 3 years to play.

Are you kidding me?  Yes, this would fit a big need.

He's a 2-guard/wing.  If White and Webster return for their senior seasons, we'll be losing two players at that position after next year (during which this guy is redshirting).  It's a position we're already thin at even with the addition of Palmer.  Palmer would come in with 2 years to play and this could would have 3.  It would be as though he was a part of the Jordy, Jeriah, Isaiah class which would give us a guard in that class.

I would go very hard after this kid if there was a chance we could reel him in.

What about Gill and Roby?

Isnt this kid more of a 3 than a 2. In terms of wings we have McVeigh, Roby, Gill and Palmer.... Not sure where you see the massive need?

Do we want to get involved in the Derryck Thornton sweepstakes?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3913175/derryck-thornton

I thought he already had his list down to 4 teams: Kansas, USC, Miami and Washington?

http://www.hngn.com/articles/198085/20160426/duke-transfer-derryck-thornton-down-to-four-schools-schedules-visits-to-kansas-usc.htm

Isnt this kid more of a 3 than a 2. In terms of wings we have McVeigh, Roby, Gill and Palmer.... Not sure where you see the massive need?

Also, we'll have Arop next year.  

He might be 6-6 but he's certainly a 2. We have currently 2 openings for 2017-18, when non-grad transfers are eligible. A post player and a guard seem like a good fit.

Do we want to get involved in the Derryck Thornton sweepstakes?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/3913175/derryck-thornton

I thought he already had his list down to 4 teams: Kansas, USC, Miami and Washington?

http://www.hngn.com/articles/198085/20160426/duke-transfer-derryck-thornton-down-to-four-schools-schedules-visits-to-kansas-usc.htm

Yup. That ship not only sailed weeks ago, it never came to port.

He might be 6-6 but he's certainly a 2. We have currently 2 openings for 2017-18, when non-grad transfers are eligible. A post player and a guard seem like a good fit.

Sure, I'll explain.  This is in response to Minnesota and also Dimes.

I've been saying for awhile that we're a guard short.  I've been thinking, ideally, we find a rising sophomore transfer shooting guard for that last spot. 

Here's why:

Right now, if everyone comes back who hasn't already announced they're transferring, then this coming season, we'll have ...

Guards:  Webster, Gill, Watson, (Palmer RS)

Wings:  White, McVeigh, Roby, Fuller

PFs:  Morrow, Horne

Cs:  Jacobson, Tshimanga

That group has adequate depth at all positions for next season.  Thin at the guard spot, but adequate depth. 

Miles says you are what you guard.  I see Roby, based on his film, as a 3.  In truth, Palmer might be more of a 3.  From what I've heard about Arop, it sounds to me like he might actually be more of a 3 than a 2.  I see the Kentucky transfer, based on his film, as a 2.  If that's the case, then the year after this coming season, this is what we'll look like:

Guards:  Gill, Watson, Palmer

Wings:  McVeigh, Roby, Arop, Fuller

PFs:  Morrow, Horne

Cs:  Jacobson, Tshimanga

We're still thin at shooting guard the year Palmer becomes eligible.  We're thin at guard, period.  We'd have two more spots to fill for the 2017-18 roster and I'd add another big and another guard.

I see this Kentucky kid as a guard.  If we can land him, I'd go for it.

I'd actually flip the two.  To me, there's no question this Kentucky transfer is a 2 and I'd call Arop more of a 3, based on what I've heard.