Bluder

HB

During the season I did predict that Clark would go to WNBA for next season and that Bluder would retire.  Not many agreed with that but I can't find the post to prove it.  Now we will have to find some other opposing coach to pick on.  Any candidates?

During the season I did predict that Clark would go to WNBA for next season and that Bluder would retire.  Not many agreed with that but I can't find the post to prove it.  Now we will have to find some other opposing coach to pick on.  Any candidates?
I have nicknamed the new Io_a coach comb over.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HUD said:

Lockjaw will likely be as annoying as Blunder. So they have that continued annoyance going for IO_A.

11 hours ago, HUD said:

well done, HUD.

i bounced back and forth on whether she would retire or not. 

i expect Jensen will do a fine job and keep iowa within that top 6 group for next season. i think it will be darn tough to finish in that top 3.

can Jensen keep the top 5-15 recruit Addison Deal and the transfer Olsen? will make quite a statement if she can.

from iowa city press-citizen:

"At Iowa, Jensen has become one of the nation's top assistant coaches and highly respected recruiters. As noted by Iowa's Sports Information Department, Jensen was the lead recruiter in Iowa landing four McDonald’s All-Americans in Samantha Logic, Lindsay Richards, Johanna Solverson and most recently Caitlin Clark.

Jensen primarily worked with Hawkeyes post players on Bluder's staff and was integral in the development of former Hawkeyes and now Las Vegas Aces forward Megan Gustafson. Under Jensen's help, Gustafson became the Big Ten's first Consensus National Player of the Year in the conference's history."

Edited by whoopdeedoo

Bluder had every reason to retire. Been at Iowa 24 years, and had reached pretty much the pinnacle of accomplishment in her sport.

Over 60. and could have coached some more, but coaching is very very stressful. May have simply decided, I've done it all and need a rest from everything.  

And had coached the best player of several generations....can't get much better than that. 

Osborne went out on top too... good place in life and her career... to call it done.

Edited by redsteve

On 5/14/2024 at 9:46 AM, redsteve said:

Bluder had every reason to retire. Been at Iowa 24 years, and had reached pretty much the pinnacle of accomplishment in her sport.

Over 60. and could have coached some more, but coaching is very very stressful. May have simply decided, I've done it all and need a rest from everything.  

And had coached the best player of several generations....can't get much better than that. 

Osborne went out on top too... good place in life and her career... to call it done.

No, Osborne went out on top by winning 3 titles in 4 seasons. Blunder got to two national title games, and lost both. That's not "on top," as far as I'm concerned. Now, if they had won this year, then, yeah, that's 'on top!'

7 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

No, Osborne went out on top by winning 3 titles in 4 seasons. Blunder got to two national title games, and lost both. That's not "on top," as far as I'm concerned. Now, if they had won this year, then, yeah, that's 'on top!'

I get your point, but that's not what the post is about.

No, You might wan to read that again....more carefully.  I didn't say anything about Bluder OR Osborne....winning National National titles. And, if you read to entire post you'll see the post is about coaching, and her reaching a high level in her career..and she did....then retired. 

Hey I'm not Bluder's biggest fan, but she did do what she did....and very few men's or women's coaches have ever done it either. 

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

I get your point, but that's not what the post is about.

No, You might wan to read that again....more carefully.  I didn't say anything about Bluder OR Osborne....winning National National titles. And, if you read to entire post you'll see the post is about coaching, and her reaching a high level in her career..and she did....then retired. 

Hey I'm not Bluder's biggest fan, but she did do what she did....and very few men's or women's coaches have ever done it either. 

I read it just fine, I disagreed with the basic premise of what's "on top," that's all. She tried, almost got there, but still didn't.

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

I read it just fine, I disagreed with the basic premise of what's "on top," that's all. She tried, almost got there, but still didn't.

So if Fred got us to 2 final fours and retired, he wouldn’t be going out on top?

6 minutes ago, HB said:

So if Fred got us to 2 final fours and retired, he wouldn’t be going out on top?

Not in the vein of Dr. Tom Osborne, not even close. But I understand the general idea, Blunder got as far as she could go.... it's not the same as winning 3 of 4 titles in my book.

And that's a wild scenario: let's win 1, first. ONE GAME! 🙃

Edited by AuroranHusker

Like her or not, Bluder produced quality teams and developed players, especially post players.  A coach doesn’t have to win a National Championship to be great.  Connie Yori was a great coach for NU.  No one can tell me that Gene Keady wasn’t a great coach despite never getting to the Final Four.

On 4/23/2024 at 8:12 AM, jimmykc said:

Xavier actually practiced in the Pius gym the day before their game. They were not too popular at BDSC when they entered. 

ting 

😴  I'm not sure it is a positive sign that the two posts that are active, relate to a team that would be considered our archenemy.  Oh well...Bluder was an exceptional coach that built a great program, and Clark is a generational talent. 

I would love it if our program could reach the current level of the Bluder program and we if we could secure a generational talent.  (That said we may be getting closer than many people think.)

I'm not sure it is a positive sign that the two posts that are active, relate to a team that would be considered our archenemy.  Oh well...Bluder was an exceptional coach that built a great program, and Clark is a generational talent. 
I would love it if our program could reach the current level of the Bluder program and we if we could secure a generational talent.  (That said we may be getting closer than many people think.)
I'm not picking up what you're laying down in and this reply

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

On 5/17/2024 at 1:57 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

I'm not picking up what you're laying down in and this reply

I think Britt Prince can be Nebraska's big-time talent, a la Jordan Hooper.

And, generally speaking, I never said a coach had to be a national title winner to be considered a great coach, I just disagreed with the notion that Blunder's career necessitated that Osborne ought to be her comparison. Maybe PU's Gene Keady ought to have been the comparable coach to Iowa's...