Success Begets Success

12 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Omaha Jayskers were much later in the sports spectrum. Younger folks don't necessarily know that history, so I try to remind 'em of it.

To be fair to the Kansas Jayhawk jayskers they manifested at a time when not every basketball game in every conference was televised. Hell I can guarantee besides the Huskers they're the team I've seen the most. They were always on TV when I was growing up and if you wanted to watch basketball you had to watch someone. Because the odds the Huskers games weren't televised were pretty high. 

6 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

To be fair to the Kansas Jayhawk jayskers they manifested at a time when not every basketball game in every conference was televised. Hell I can guarantee besides the Huskers they're the team I've seen the most. They were always on TV when I was growing up and if you wanted to watch basketball you had to watch someone. Because the odds the Huskers games weren't televised were pretty high. 

The primary reason is because in the earlier Big 8 days, KU hoops was competing for and/or winning nattys, just like Husker football was doing likewise.

Edited by AuroranHusker

8 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:
13 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Expand  

The primary reason is because in the earlier Big 8 days, KU hoops was competing for and/or winning nattys, just like Husker football was doing likewise.

Chicken and the egg. Good teams were the ones that got the limited TV coverage. Both theories can probably exist here.

1 minute ago, millerhusker said:

There are still plenty of Duke basketball/Nebraska football fans out there too. It’s weird 

That was half the rich kids at Lincoln East back in the 80s and 90s. They loved them some Duke. 

I grew up in Germany until I was a teenager so I had zero loyalties to anything in American sports outside of.....wait for it....Michigan and Iowa....(cue laugh track). Dad's family from Michigan, my sister went to college at Iowa when I was still a kid in Germany. Never even heard of Nebraska until my Dad managed to choose it over California as the place he was going to retire (thus ensuring his divorce from my German mother...lol). 

So, to shorten this up a bit, living in Bellevue in the ate 70s, I was introduced to Bluejay hoops by my stepdad and went to a ton of games before I even *set foot* in Lincoln for the first time. Yet, every football season, I'd start learning to root for the legendary Huskers as my Dad and I became fans pretty quickly (I played football in Europe before a tumor took me out of sports entirely). 

So Jayskers have existed for years and years, and technically, I would have been one of them! That would change soon enough as I would become a Husker in 1980 (and still remember watching Bo Jackson try to run on a rain soaked stadium field and failing!).

Sorry for the bio, but I've always found this whole subject and animosity amusing here. 

46 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Totally. Also it was beautiful basketball to watch. They got the best players. The players stayed 3-5 years. I miss that era of basketball. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

Yep. The Nebraska sucks sentiment has permeated the Husker football fan base for 25 years. Those people frustrated me so damn much in the Collier and Sadler years. But I almost get more frustrated with them in times like this year (and 2014, 2018) when they suddenly become basketball “fans”. Call me selfish, but I don’t think they deserve to enjoy the good times. I’d much rather talk hoops with a Jaysker than a fake Nebraska basketball fan who has no idea who Nate Johnson is. 
I would rather talk to anyone other than a jaysker.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, millerhusker said:

There are still plenty of Duke basketball/Nebraska football fans out there too. It’s weird 

This is the part that confuses me.  I can see Creighton fans because they are based in Omaha but all the Kansas, Duke, Indiana, North Carolina fans out there from Nebraska that scoff at Nebraska basketball.  It has been about 5 years ago now but I remember when Kansas beat Nebraska on a last second 3 from the corner and I watched a kid go crazy celebrating the KU win and I thought to myself what it would be like for Kansas to catch a 40 yard TD pass to beat NU on the last play of a football game and how that would go over with other NU fans around.

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Omaha Jayskers were much later in the sports spectrum. Younger folks don't necessarily know that history, so I try to remind 'em of it.

I asked a doctor of mine if she was a JAYSKER. She asked what that was, I said it's a person that follows Creighton sports until it's football time. She just smiled, so I said you are a JAYSKER. Her husband  and family are big Creighton people.

22 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yes, of course. Same can be said for Nebraska football, tbh.

Now that I think about it, I was at a bowl game one year in California and I was talking to some local sitting behind me. They were solely attending the game because they live close by, but he talked about how he supported Nebraska in the '90s even though he had no ties to them. Hard to say whether it was because Nebraska was one of the few teams on TV or because they were good. Probably a bit of both.

15 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I asked a doctor of mine if she was a JAYSKER. She asked what that was, I said it's a person that follows Creighton sports until it's football time. She just smiled, so I said you are a JAYSKER. Her husband  and family are big Creighton people.

It's probably best to ask them that question AFTER they're done doing the procedure...

Too many fans are front runners, they only support a team that is winning and winning big.  Even Nebraska Football has lost fans because they aren’t winning enough.  Some of these front running fans will only follow VB because of the tremendous success.  Note the sudden interest in Husker Softball which will likely diminish with Bahl’s injury. 

A fan should be a fan through thick and thin.  I believe this State would go nuts over a championship basketball team.