Ashley Scoggins sues Nebraska.

Bugeaters1

It will be interesting to watch this as it unfolds. But it may end up like the Connie Yori lawsuit. where we never heard a peep about it after the initial news that Connie was being sued.

https://www.on3.com/college/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/ashley-scoggin-files-lawsuit-nebraska-womens-basketball-coach-chuck-love/

Edited by Bugeaters1

1 minute ago, huskerchode said:

I've honestly felt like the team has never recovered from this fiasco.  How many player departures did we have after Scoggins?

I'll have to go look and see. Because I don't remember, By my count four left. but do we know for sure their reasons. Porter was said to be home sick, Brown went to DII to play but didn't see much time at Fort Hayes, the coach there made Brown a mental case. Popa was an NAIA player at best. In all 4 players left.

First reaction:   I CALL BULLS**T !!!   Not on what is alleged of the assistant coach but on the reported reaction of the HCAW.  No coach would handle the situation in the manner alleged.  Instead she would have been in immediate contact with the AD who would have brought in the lawyers who would have advised that the AC be separated from the team - as happened.  There would not have been an hours long team meeting at which the player was shouted at.  My guess is that some shyster lawyer sees this opportunity to shake down the university ... that as a respondent UNL would have to choose between re-living the whole incident (obtaining testimony from players - thus subjecting them to cross examination) and disrupting the program vs  just settling the suit.  Obviously the AD has a ton of money and the litigants might hope that UNL would rather part with a couple million rather than open an old would.  In another word ..... shakedown.

2 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

First reaction:   I CALL BULLS**T !!!   Not on what is alleged of the assistant coach but on the reported reaction of the HCAW.  No coach would handle the situation in the manner alleged.  Instead she would have been in immediate contact with the AD who would have brought in the lawyers who would have advised that the AC be separated from the team - as happened.  There would not have been an hours long team meeting at which the player was shouted at.  My guess is that some shyster lawyer sees this opportunity to shake down the university ... that as a respondent UNL would have to choose between re-living the whole incident (obtaining testimony from players - thus subjecting them to cross examination) and disrupting the program vs  just settling the suit.  Obviously the AD has a ton of money and the litigants might hope that UNL would rather part with a couple million rather than open an old would.  In another word ..... shakedown.

Time will tell I guess.

If I remember correctly....help me out......everything went silent after the thing was first exposed.  Like someone mentioned, the team was visibly shaken the next game.  He didn't leave right away and was on leave so to speak, for about 6 months...I think anyway..... but Scoggins did leave fairly quickly.

So if the coach and some administrators, all knew about it ....why was it kind of kept under wraps. That's usually the last thing a school wants. ...to be perceived as hiding something.   

It's pretty tough to keep it quiet now.

And I still say it won't go to trial.  Pay off before that happens. UNL won't keep it in the news any longer than they can.

26 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

Instead she would have been in immediate contact with the AD who would have brought in the lawyers who would have advised that the AC be separated from the team - as happened.  There would not have been an hours long team meeting at which the player was shouted at.  

You have to hope that this is the real story.  Because if it’s not the real story… ouch.

It’s so tough when you say something like “no coach would” in reference to a situation like this.  Because “no coach would” do something crazy like what is alleged of Love in here.

It’s an unprecedented situation and no one can really plan for how they would handle something like this until it’s heat of the moment.

If half of the information is correct regarding how Coach Williams handle the situation, her job could be in serious jeopardy.  It should be easy to verify as the whole team was present for the meeting.  Even though Ashley was an adult and may have consented in the relationship, Love had power and control over her and she is the victim in my opinion.  And I am about as conservative as they come.  It is never okay for a coach to engage in sexual activity with a member of the team.

It amazes me that people think they can get away with developing this type of relationships.  Even District Attorneys are not immune to total stupidity.

Edited by Tinpanalley

This is a sad situation.  I don’t like how players were used to entrap Scoggins being in the Coaches room.  There has to be some concern that the Head Coach and other assistants had no inkling when it seems team members had some knowledge.  Maybe it is a shakedown but it certainly needs to be dealt with openly and fairly.

16 minutes ago, Tinpanalley said:

If half of the information is correct regarding how Coach Williams handle the situation, her job could be in serious jeopardy.  It should be easy to verify as the whole team was present for the meeting.  Even though Ashley was an adult and may have consented in the relationship, Love had power and control over her and she is the victim in my opinion.  And I am about as conservative as they come.  It is never okay for a coach to engage in sexual activity with a member of the team.

It amazes me that people think they can get away with developing this type of relationships.  Even District Attorneys are not immune to total stupidity.

This is exactly right.  Love was in a position of power and control.  How in the world could teammates know about this but the other coaches didn't?  Sounds like one of the practice squad players was in on the ruse when they confronted her as well.  I'm curious if her attorney has already spoken to some of the team members at that time (ones who left the team later on) about what transpired in this meeting where Ashley was yelled at.  All it takes is one person to corroborate her story.

59 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

If the story is total BS on how Coach Williams and the University responded, the University can sue the author of the article and use that money to Ashley.

11 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

If players was used, then think it would have been team captains? Again it does make them look so bad. 

The team leader at that time had to know what was up.

Edited by Bugeaters1

21 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I still have video of the whole situation on my phone. It was a very interesting setup by the girls and student managers. 

Can’t believe that video leaked.  I remember at the time you had mentioned you knew a little more than we did about what happened.  Had no idea you had the actual video though.

Here's the thing about the whole sitting there and letting the team belittle her. When Mi'Cole opened that door she had a few choice words for Ashley in describing her. So now that this part has come out I would not be surprised if these same words were used again in the team meeting by the same person. 

But I want to believe that we had girls on the team with a little better morals and values than to just belittle a person like that. But I have no idea. 

4 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Can’t believe that video leaked.  I remember at the time you had mentioned you knew a little more than we did about what happened.  Had no idea you had the actual video though.

Josh Petersen, who owns 97.3 knows the story as well. He may be a witness for AS.

37 minutes ago, Tinpanalley said:

If the story is total BS on how Coach Williams and the University responded, the University can sue the author of the article and use that money to Ashley.

I don't think so ... bc the author is only reporting on the content of the legal filing not personally asserting that it is true. 

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

It’s so tough when you say something like “no coach would” in reference to a situation like this.  Because “no coach would” do something crazy like what is alleged of Love in here

Oh, I have no trouble believing that a coach would do what Love is accused of.  That happens a lot.  What I meant was that no coach, upon hearing this, would respond in the way that the suit accuses AW of having done.  See below. 

1 hour ago, redsteve said:

So if the coach and some administrators, all knew about it ....why was it kind of kept under wraps. That's usually the last thing a school wants. ...to be perceived as hiding something.   

Not quite.  The last thing the school wants to do is to further injure the player.  The school has the responsibility to protect the players.  As alleged here, the school was failed to do so. The school can claim to have had no knowledge.  BUT .... to have the sort of meeting in which players were knowingly enabled by the school to harass the aggrieved player - that is the first thing the school cannot do.  

And please everyone let's remember what the school is SAID to have done after the confrontation incident is all allegation without support.  Let's please not reach any conclusions based only on allegations.

Once the incident and the video came to coach's attention, she knew the follow up action was not within her purview as a coach.  I believe that she contacted administration and whatever action was taken was consistent with what she was told,  If - stressing the hypothetical - such was not the case, then she is in trouble.

And one thing more .... all UNL student athletes are told about the school's and the department's policy on sexual harassment, inappropriate conduct both physical and verbal. They know the available channels for reporting such. If the victim doesn't report, the school's ability to protect her is compromised.

And one more thing more .... it does strike me as hard to believe that AW et.al. had no inkling of the coach's tendency.  Perhaps he was confronted and cautioned and warned and that he was just so convincing in his denial as to be believed.