uneblinst's postgame chatter: vol 16; ed 23 - Illinois

11 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That might be Eli Rice next year. He has the length and the mentality.

By the way, has there been ANY word on Eli's injury?  What is it and length of recovery?  Hopefully, it is not a Blaise type injury 😉

Oh, and what is the current word on Boogie and Lloyd?

1 hour ago, HuscurAdam said:

The guy we're really missing off this team is one we recruited (again) and didn't get (again) . . . Hunter Sallis, an long, athletic driver as your primary ball handler who also happens to be a lock-down defender. Imaging replacing J-Law with this stat line:

image.png 

We would be a Sweet 16 team at minimum IMHO. But alas, he sought out greener pastures at...Wake Forest?

I don't think Hunter Sallis fits this Husker team at all, and that's not a knock on Sallis. He'd have the same issues here at NU that he was having at Gonzaga. We play a pretty strict system defensively (not his strength) and we play a pretty heavy read and react, principled motion on offense (also not his strength). Hunter belongs in more of an open system where he can use his instincts and play free. 

6 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

By the way, has there been ANY word on Eli's injury?  What is it and length of recovery?  Hopefully, it is not a Blaise type injury 😉

Oh, and what is the current word on Boogie and Lloyd?

Seem like even when healthy Boogie is only going to play if we get into extreme foul or injury trouble. 

Lloyd? lol

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I don't think Hunter Sallis fits this Husker team at all, and that's not a knock on Sallis. He'd have the same issues here at NU that he was having at Gonzaga. We play a pretty strict system defensively (not his strength) and we play a pretty heavy read and react, principled motion on offense (also not his strength). Hunter belongs in more of an open system where he can use his instincts and play free. 

I have watched Hunter a lot going back to middle school and even played pick up with him and have to disagree completely. At Gonzaga they basically tried to make him a 3 and D guy, standing in the corner a lot in offense. He is much better on the move and has the ability to get in the lane and make plays. Good handles and nice pull up jumper and has added the 3pt shot this year.

On defense, there is zero doubt with his length and athleticism he would be a menace in our system once he picked it up. He is a coachable kid for sure.

14 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

I have watched Hunter a lot going back to middle school and even played pick up with him and have to disagree completely. At Gonzaga they basically tried to make him a 3 and D guy, standing in the corner a lot in offense. He is much better on the move and has the ability to get in the lane and make plays. Good handles and nice pull up jumper and has added the 3pt shot this year.

On defense, there is zero doubt with his length and athleticism he would be a menace in our system once he picked it up. He is a coachable kid for sure.

I appreciate your input and experience, but I respectfully disagree. Not that he's a great kid and coachable, just what his strengths and weaknesses are as far as basketball. 

23 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I appreciate your input and experience, but I respectfully disagree. Not that he's a great kid and coachable, just what his strengths and weaknesses are as far as basketball. 

First time caller, long time listener: How would this team look if you swapped Sallis for Brice Williams?

Just now, Dead Dog Alley said:

Not as good as if you swapped him for Ahron Ulis.

Trading Bryce for Ulis is a bit more complicated because you're talking about trading a forward for a PG and then you have to adjust everything else.  Also it's not realistic.  We realistically could have gotten Sallis and not gotten Williams.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Trading Bryce for Ulis is a bit more complicated because you're talking about trading a forward for a PG and then you have to adjust everything else.  Also it's not realistic.  We realistically could have gotten Sallis and not gotten Williams.

I'm assuming he meant trading Ulis to get Sallis.

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Well but it was never, "either or." Didn't we get Williams before HS, and HS visited even after we already had him? 

I don't think this discussion is based on any realistic terms, from what I can tell. I assumed it was a dream scenario, as in, having a combo guard like Sallis would be preferable to having a suspended guy in Ulis.

13 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We haven't been in extreme foul or injury trouble since 12/29

Only played in a blowout 1 time, and Nebraska has had foul trouble (but not often) & Juwan missed some time. Jarron Coleman is a mere after-thought at this time. He isn't cracking any type of rotation spot anytime soon.

From what I can see, Boogie isn't going to play PG, since coaches already decided to have Brice do that ahead of him.

Edited by AuroranHusker