MICHIGAN GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

Nebraska Cornhuskers (14-10, 6-7 Big Ten)
at 12/14 Michigan Wolverines (19-5, 9-4 Big Ten)
Sunday, February 12, 2023, Noon (CT)
Crisler Center - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Live Video: 
B1G+ 
Live Radio: Huskers Radio Network (11:45 a.m.)
Matt Coatney (PBP), Jeff Griesch (Analyst)
Lincoln (107.3 FM), Omaha (590 AM), Huskers.com, Huskers App
Special Event: Pink Game

Huskers Hit Road to Meet No. 12 Michigan Sunday
The Nebraska women's basketball team returns to Big Ten road action on Super Bowl Sunday when the Huskers take on No. 12 Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Tip-off between the Huskers (14-10, 6-7 Big Ten) and the Wolverines (19-5, 9-4 Big Ten) is set for Noon (CT) with a live video stream provided to subscribers of B1G+. 

The game also can be heard across the Huskers Radio Network with Matt Coatney and Jeff Griesch on 107.3 FM in Lincoln along with 590 AM in Omaha, Huskers.com and the Huskers App.

Stats after 1 Qtr: 

Not a good Quarter. If the treys are falling, we can hang with anyone and even win. BUT if they are not falling our offense is stagnant and we fall behind. Evidence is Points in the Paint: 8 for Mich vs 2 for Huskers. We are a completely different Team without Allison Weidner, she is another Haiby type, Fearless and Aggressive. We NEED a new offensive scheme and attitude. Lady Huskers are full of GRIT and No Quit as usual, but need better schemes.

Michigan has been successful in packing the paint, forcing us to throw up wild shots that usually don't/won't go in, nor do we have any players who can make short range jumpers.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Red Don

Half time.

Real good 2nd qtr. We started the game so slow...again. The shots started to drop. But not getting scoring from many players. 

Michigan's foul issues are making a difference. They've had to back off a little. Four of their starters have 2 fouls.

That may end up being a factor in what happens in 2nd half.  Most of their squad can score.

We're certainly in it now.

Edited by redsteve

We are hanging in the game.  Crucial turnovers and missed shots at the rim continue to be a problem.  We really need Bourne to play most of the 2nd half as Stewart and Mendohlson aren’t getting it done.  Someone needs to play better on the wing with Jaz and Sam.  We have nothing from Moriarity. Krull, Hake and Coley.  Michigan is getting production from their reserves and is playing without Phelan.  We need a great 2nd half.

We are lucky to be only 5 at the half.  We are playing our usual game of dumb passes for turnovers.  I wish Shelly and Haiby would stop dribbling under the basket and throwing lousy passes that either go out of bounds or get picked off.  They have done it all year.  We seem to struggle to get uncontested shots off. Doesn't seem like we have much of an offense.  I wish Coach Williams would not recruit  post players that don't have good post moves. Seems like every team we play does.  We seem to always have posts that want to shoot  fall away shots near the basket.  Bourne is the only one who has some good moves for easy layups.  If a girl doesn't have the drop step moves going right or left  in  high school, they seem to never be able to learn it in college.  Mendelson has been a big disappointment.  She just can't finish under the basket.  Hopefully we hit our 3's and they can't buy a  basket in the 2nd half.

We only had 4 that scored consistently. Issie, Sam, Jazz, and Alexis (18 pts 18 rebounds) very few from everyone else. Very few pts. driving to the basket.  Don't seem to be deep enough with quick off the dribble guards..

Study the box score data. Interesting that Mich. subs played more minutes (than our subs) and scored at a good pace.  Depth plain and simple. And just by observation, Mich usually only substituted one player at a time....keeps the team consistency in play when you aren't subbing 3 or 4 at a time.

Anyway, we gutted it out and played pretty well after the slow start. (partly a result of MIch high pressure defense.)  Disappointed we lost, but not so much considering we were in a hostile environment., and against the #12 team in USA.

Edited by redsteve

Valiant enough effort given today by the ladies (not surprising really after the 2nd half against Illinois) but didn't prove enough.  Didn't sound like listening to it that we had enough D stops in the 4th to help our cause (really from the point of that TO when we lead 46-42 in the 3rd).  Shot well enough from 3 but still not enough, which is probably indicative of some of our other weaknesses.  Doesn't get any easier obviously, we know who is next after Minnesota, who we really need to beat I think to keep up morale if nothing else.  The Illini we face again (after UI) this time on the road.  Keep bringing it ladies, and we'll see how it shapes out.  GBR!!

Edited by mwm89

Michigan had too much quality depth.  We received very little from our bench.  We had a few defensive lapses that cost us and were not efficient enough on offense.  Our 11-25 three point shooting kept us in the game but Michigan outscored us by 13 off turnovers.  I like that we battled to the end.

I wonder if Leah Brown would have developed as much had she stayed at NU.  She clearly is one of the best players in the league and has surpassed Sam the past two seasons.  

6 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Hand it to Michigan, no doubt the better team! :redface:

Treys (11-5) kept us in the Game, but better overall execution: Turnovers (18-10) and points off turnovers (6-19) and Points-in-the-paint (30-42) kept Michigan in the Lead.

image.png

A big thank you for always posting box scores and stats.

1 hour ago, longtimefan said:

We are lucky to be only 5 at the half.  We are playing our usual game of dumb passes for turnovers.  I wish Shelly and Haiby would stop dribbling under the basket and throwing lousy passes that either go out of bounds or get picked off.  They have done it all year.  We seem to struggle to get uncontested shots off. Doesn't seem like we have much of an offense.  I wish Coach Williams would not recruit  post players that don't have good post moves. Seems like every team we play does.  We seem to always have posts that want to shoot  fall away shots near the basket.  Bourne is the only one who has some good moves for easy layups.  If a girl doesn't have the drop step moves going right or left  in  high school, they seem to never be able to learn it in college.  Mendelson has been a big disappointment.  She just can't finish under the basket.  Hopefully we hit our 3's and they can't buy a  basket in the 2nd half.

In total agreement with this take.  I think that after every game I watch us play and observe the opponent's inside players.

7 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Michigan had too much quality depth.  We received very little from our bench.  We had a few defensive lapses that cost us and were not efficient enough on offense.  Our 11-25 three point shooting kept us in the game but Michigan outscored us by 13 off turnovers.  I like that we battled to the end.

I wonder if Leah Brown would have developed as much had she stayed at NU.  She clearly is one of the best players in the league and has surpassed Sam the past two seasons.  

I doubt Brown would have developed as much had she stayed.  I don't blame her one bit for leaving.