Willard Witte

Herschell Turner

Tai Webster (combo)

Stu Lantz (combo)

Eric Johnson (combo)

Ty has to be #1, right?  

You forgot Jamar Johnson.

2 hours ago, BugeaterZ said:

I would add to the list the PG from our best team, Cliiford Scales.

Lue and Jamar Johnson are my 1 and 2 since I started watching just after the Jack Moore era.

I was also going to mention Cliffy. He was actually a 2 who was forced to play point because we didn't really have anyone else who could do it.  He had to learn the position and learn to be a distributor and he did it really well.

Brian Carr played only one season with the 3 point line...I would loved to see him having the 3 point line his whole career how that would have made Dave Hoppen even more dominant. He shot 37%  that first year making 58 on 157 attempts....

Brian Carr helped lead Moe Iba's last team to the NCAA tournament after losing Dave Hoppen to injury 19 games into that season....

39 minutes ago, Blindcheck said:

Brian Carr played only one season with the 3 point line...I would loved to see him having the 3 point line his whole career how that would have made Dave Hoppen even more dominant. He shot 37%  that first year making 58 on 157 attempts....

Brian Carr helped lead Moe Iba's last team to the NCAA tournament after losing Dave Hoppen to injury 19 games into that season....

Good post.   While Harvey Marshall was not a point guard,  I would have loved to have seen the 3 point shot in effect when Harvey played with Hoppen.    It's amazing how Moe was still able to get shots for Hoppen despite the lack of a 3 point shot.   

And along this line of thought, Jack Moore was an amazing point guard.   Back then centers dominated the game, but Jack seemed to control most games from the point.   But he wasn't a long range shooter, and may have not been as effective with a 3 point shot in the game when he played.  In any event, I can't leave Jack off of the top 2-3 point guards to play in the modern era.   I go with Lue and Jack as 1a and 1b, and then arguments can be made for ranking below them for the others,  including Carr.  

3 hours ago, HB said:

Good post.   While Harvey Marshall was not a point guard,  I would have loved to have seen the 3 point shot in effect when Harvey played with Hoppen.    It's amazing how Moe was still able to get shots for Hoppen despite the lack of a 3 point shot.   

And along this line of thought, Jack Moore was an amazing point guard.   Back then centers dominated the game, but Jack seemed to control most games from the point.   But he wasn't a long range shooter, and may have not been as effective with a 3 point shot in the game when he played.  In any event, I can't leave Jack off of the top 2-3 point guards to play in the modern era.   I go with Lue and Jack as 1a and 1b, and then arguments can be made for ranking below them for the others,  including Carr.  

With you here, although I'd have more separation between Lue in the top spot and Moore in the 2 slot. 1st round NBA picks don't skip through Lincoln often. Ty's the best player I've ever seen at NU not named Hoppen. 

2 hours ago, tcp said:

With you here, although I'd have more separation between Lue in the top spot and Moore in the 2 slot. 1st round NBA picks don't skip through Lincoln often. Ty's the best player I've ever seen at NU not named Hoppen. 

That makes sense, and I agree.  Jack was such a true old school point guard, where as Ty was just such an overall great player and talent.   Ty was way quicker, more range, better shooter (although Jack was the best free throw shooter ever).    Both good leaders; I always wondered what would have happened if Ty had been an upperclassman when everything went to crap his freshman year.  

55 minutes ago, HB said:

That makes sense, and I agree.  Jack was such a true old school point guard, where as Ty was just such an overall great player and talent.   Ty was way quicker, more range, better shooter (although Jack was the best free throw shooter ever).    Both good leaders; I always wondered what would have happened if Ty had been an upperclassman when everything went to crap his freshman year.  

I am going to guess things would not have gone to crap.  He had a focus and a drive that we have rarely witnessed here.  As far as the free throw shooting, Jack was nearly as automatic as a player can be...