Time to eat a little crow

big red22

1 minute ago, nebrasketball10 said:

What if the selection committee used blind resumes?? I’m kind of surprised that hasn’t been suggested... wouldn’t it be the best way to evaluate teams based on their body of work?? Though it would eliminate the eye test...

I could see them doing that to get a grasp on where they stand with each team, then adjust for the eye test after. Although the quality wins and bad losses on a blind resume would go a long ways towards revealing who the team is, so I don't know if they could really keep the bias out of it.

If they wanted to take the eye test out of it, they certainly could. With NCAA Hockey, the tournament at-large team selections and all seeding is done by a formula called PairWise. The only thing the committee does is move teams around on their seed lines to put them as close to home as possible to drive attendance at regionals or to avoid first-round games between teams from the same conference. But if the formula says you're a #2 seed, you have to stay a #2 seed; the committee cannot move you off that seed line.

For basketball, the NCAA obviously feels like the eye test matters. Numbers don't always tell the whole story ... which is exactly what's going on with NU. We look like an NCAA Tournament team right now. But to make up for the numbers that aren't in our favor, some of which were accumulated during the early part of the season when we were still finding our way and some of which are caused by an unusual below-average showing from the B1G, we can't afford a lapse down the stretch.

Keep winning and looking the way we have for the past few weeks, and we'll make it, because the eye test matters. If it was just a numbers game, we'd probably be screwed. But it isn't.

Edited by throwback

Recruiting is all about relationships, recent success and history. Inless of coarse your paying players then it doesn’t matter. Facility’s while ours are top notch don’t play that big of role. All the top notch programs have killer facilities, Nebraska is just a rarity where we aren’t top notch we just spent money like we are. Doesn’t mean that in ten years we can’t be w the right guy at the helm either 

18 hours ago, Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty said:

Why would committee members lie about using conference standings? If they did use them, why wouldn't they just admit it? Why wouldn't they just put it on the team sheets?

If you're saying that a high conference finish could subconsciously inflate the perceptions of a team then I can get behind that. But I do not believe standings are "discussed and considered" in the way you mean it. They do care about how you did out of conference (which is why they put the non-con record on the sheet). So really, a great conference record might actually be seen as a knock against a bubble team since it implies they didn't do well out of conference.

So, what your saying is we should just stop the season after we play our non conference games?

Teams improve or get worse throughout the season.  Just look at us and Minnesota as prime examples.  We are a totally different team than the one that played at St. John's.

40 minutes ago, brfrad said:

So, what your saying is we should just stop the season after we play our non conference games?

Teams improve or get worse throughout the season.  Just look at us and Minnesota as prime examples.  We are a totally different team than the one that played at St. John's.

Not what I’m saying at all. The conference season plays a huge role in your overall body of work.

My point that I’ve reiterated a number of times is that, all else being equal, it’s irrelevant whether we finish 4th or 5th or even 7th in conference. Completely irrelevant. When someone says, “they could never leave out the 4th place team in the Big Ten,” they are wrong. They do not discuss conference standings. Yes, finishing 4th means that you probably have built a good enough resume to get in, but that would be due to correlation, not causation.

So again, that doesn’t mean the conference season doesn’t matter. It matters a great deal. Your RPI is impacted by your conference results, your signature wins include conference wins, and the eye test is completely dependent on conference games.

Edited by Cookie Miller Wasn't Dirty

I keep reading people say, “They don’t look at this or they don’t look at that,” “they only look at ... and .....” I don’t think anybody on this board has been in the room when seedings are made so you’re taking them at their word when say those things. I believe that means people should n’t talk with so much certitude about what criteria is actually used. 

7 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I keep reading people say, “They don’t look at this or they don’t look at that,” “they only look at ... and .....” I don’t think anybody on this board has been in the room when seedings are made so you’re taking them at their word when say those things. I believe that means people should n’t talk with so much certitude about what criteria is actually used. 

Thank you Dean!

9 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I have a source that says you're wrong. Just don't ask who it is because they're out of town on a mission to the moon right now.