PF Elijah Thomas - TAMU Transfer

hhcmatt

If he's down to 220# or 230#, he's not the "Post" we're looking for.  At that size, he's just a good-sized PF.  6'9" and 230# isn't the kind of big we need, frankly.  And his film made him look like more of a finesse player anyway. 

Completely disagree with this, especially since he would spend a year in our weight room.

I do wonder about his overall commitment level though given he just up and quit in Texas.

I would have gladly taken him.

Not going to cry over not getting him though.  He made his choice, hopefully it works out for him.  Personally, he can have South Carolina.  The place is a kudzu filled dumpster if you ask me but, whatever.  Different strokes.

If he's down to 220# or 230#, he's not the "Post" we're looking for. At that size, he's just a good-sized PF. 6'9" and 230# isn't the kind of big we need, frankly. And his film made him look like more of a finesse player anyway.

Completely disagree with this, especially since he would spend a year in our weight room.

I do wonder about his overall commitment level though given he just up and quit in Texas.

No, I think he lost the weight on purpose. And his film doesn't reflect a go-up-strong mentality.

Let's not kid ourselves. We have an open scholarship, we need post players, this kid was a top 50 recruit and our staff obviously wanted him. Do we need to have our heads explode when a kid doesn't pick us? No. But can we rationalize that this isn't that big a loss? I can't.

Exactly. This one stings a bit due to immediate urgency, as did Mike Edwards picking UGa last yr.

Let's not kid ourselves. We have an open scholarship, we need post players, this kid was a top 50 recruit and our staff obviously wanted him. Do we need to have our heads explode when a kid doesn't pick us? No. But can we rationalize that this isn't that big a loss? I can't.

OK, we'll see. 

I think he'd have been good, but I don't think he's exactly, exactly, exactly what we were looking for.  He's a 4, not a 5.  And that might have something to do with why he went to Clemson instead.

What we need is a big dude who can post up with his back to the basket and defend the post.  I don't think this was that guy.  He still might have been better (or even a lot better) than our other 4s, but it would leave us still in need of a post.

That's all I'm saying.  Not trying to rationalize or engage in sour grape talk.  Just didn't think he quite fit the need.

OK, we'll see. 

I think he'd have been good, but I don't think he's exactly, exactly, exactly what we were looking for.  He's a 4, not a 5.  And that might have something to do with why he went to Clemson instead.

What we need is a big dude who can post up with his back to the basket and defend the post.  I don't think this was that guy.  He still might have been better (or even a lot better) than our other 4s, but it would leave us still in need of a post.

That's all I'm saying.  Not trying to rationalize or engage in sour grape talk.  Just didn't think he quite fit the need.

You put your finger on one of our problems in recruiting. There's been guys who would have been a better option at the 4 than anybody we've got, and a better option at the 5, but look at our roster and see that they will exclusively be a 5 here. And that's not something they want to do.

• 2 years later...