... next year (ducks)

Norm Peterson

I've been waiting for the Draft Express B1G draft preview but he seems to have updated Terran's page.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terran-Petteway-42040/

He currently has him going in the 38th overall in second round of the 2016 draft, so after his senior year.  Ranks him the 62nd best player in college basketball and the 11th best junior.  Obviously these things are very fluid but these guys are the ones I always follow when it comes to the draft.

Well, if that's the case, then I see him returning for his senior year, at which time, we're going to be killer good.

I've been waiting for the Draft Express B1G draft preview but he seems to have updated Terran's page.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Terran-Petteway-42040/

He currently has him going in the 38th overall in second round of the 2016 draft, so after his senior year.  Ranks him the 62nd best player in college basketball and the 11th best junior.  Obviously these things are very fluid but these guys are the ones I always follow when it comes to the draft.

Well, if that's the case, then I see him returning for his senior year, at which time, we're going to be killer good.

Regardless of whether Terran is back in 2015, our program comes out a winner.  If he returns, we get another year of his productivity.  If he leaves, our coaches can start telling recruits that players at Nebraska leave early for the NBA.  Well, one anyway.

The ongoing discussion about whether Petteway returns for his senior year or not made me think of something:  If he does return, will there be a dry eye in the house on senior night 2016?

Benny

Shavon

Walt

Terran

They arrived together and I suspect when all is said and done that no class in the history of this program will have left a bigger mark than the one those four will leave.

P.S.  How can you not love Benny Parker?

Do we start the "One more year chant" on senior night like we did for Lue at his last home game his junior year?

If the crowd starts the "one more year chant", Petteway will wonder who the hell Chant is.  He might feel slighted, graduate and then transfer to one of the CU schools.  ;)

To what do we owe the honor of such a prolific outburst of posts today, cip?

Do we start the "One more year chant" on senior night like we did for Lue at his last home game his junior year?

If the crowd starts the "one more year chant", Petteway will wonder who the hell Chant is.  He might feel slighted, graduate and then transfer to one of the CU schools.  ;)

To what do we owe the honor of such a prolific outburst of posts today, cip?

I'm still on a high from the Ringo and friends concert Sunday night.  It was kick ass!

That, and my wife forgot to lock up her computer at Conlee's.  :)  (I'm gonna hack her facebook account, too.)

Petteway won't be drafted on projections. Projections are for freshmen. He's a 4th year junior now and what we see this season most likely very will be the player he is in the future.

Draft express has their B1G pro prospects report coming in like the next 2 weeks. He's the best in the business and it's why they are used for the new NBA 2K game for their draft portion. If they say he's a draft guy then we can start that convo.

I like your post. I respect draft express however I believe by the end of his junior year he will be a solid 1st round pick . I’m hoping against hope that he stays and there is a slim chance that he would as part of an “Unfinished Business” campaign. I imagine it would be very difficult for him to leave SS, WP, and BP and that is the one thing going for us. It will be a very difficult decision for him to leave. If he were to stay his name would be among the legends in NU athletic lore. Imagine if Tyrone Lue or Ahman Green had stayed for their senior year? This season is going to be a wild and fun ride.

Below is my analysis of TP as an NBA prospect.

The NBA is more of a 1-on-1, high low post game. College style zone defenses are not allowed in the NBA. Refs in the NBA will blow the whistle if a defender isn't actively guarding someone. This is known as the defensive 3 second penalty. This matter a great deal for players like TP who I believe their game and skill set is built for the NBA. He has the body of a 3 with the ability to play and defend the 2 and 1.

I was an NBA fan long before I was a college basketball fan. I grew up in San Antonio as a Spurs fan and a Husker Football only fan. It wasn't until I went to college at UNL, starting in 1990 that I fell in love with the college game for both basketball and baseball. My fraternity brothers talked me into getting student season tickets for basketball and I've been hooked ever since. I'm not as big of an NBA fan anymore, although I still follw it and I will always love my Spurs ( I was a fan during the George Gervin era.). I believe I have pretty good understanding of the NBA and the types of players that NBA teams are looking for and the types of players that do well.

Can he beat guys off of the dribble and run the floor?

In the NBA he won't see the types of defenses that he sees in college as mentioned above. Defenses won't collapse on him as much forcing him to pass or put up bad shots. He’ll have options other than taking the shot or getting the ball to someone who isn’t as capable as him of making a shot. I don’t believe there are many players in the country as good as him as going one on one. In the open court he’s very instinctual. He’s fast and finishes strong.

Can he pass into the post?

He has some work to do to improve his turnover/assist ratio. In the NBA you have to do more than just get the ball to the big guy inside. You have to be precise, such as getting it to the correct hand so the post player can just make his move without adjusting. The problem he has at Nebraska is that we don't often work a low post game. That would need to be something to work on at the next level or in workouts.

Can he catch and shoot/stop and pop?

TP does a nice job with his mid range shooting and stop and pop. He's not a great catch and shoot guy and that is something he will get a chance to work on this year with better point guard play (hopefully). Sometimes the catch and shoot numbers can be deceiving if the ball is not being delivered very well (i.e. having to reach or shuffle his feet to adjust because of a bad pass).  He runs very well in the open court without the ball and is aggressive when going to the hoop. This is one of his strongest skills.

Is he versatile (play multiple positions)?

He's shown he can bring the ball up court. He's very confident with his dribble and can thus look up court beyond the player defending him. He’ll need to work on his catch shoot if he plays the 2. As 3 he will be an asset as teams can’t sag off him when playing the high low game.

Is he a defensive liability?

TP is very active with hands and has quick feet. He has long arms which will make him asset for guarding 2’s. Most importantly he doesn’t just fall asleep on defensive.  

Will being a Pro improve his game?

I believe that being a Pro will greatly improve his game. Having it be his full time job with his work ethic is a recipe for success. He’s a total team player will be a spark coming off the bench. I believe he would work himself into the rotation for a lot of teams.

He will have a lot of opportunities to work on his passing and catch and shot. He’s going to have to find ways to not take the whole team on his back in every situation as he does have other options. This season is going to test his decision making as he will be the focus for our opponent in every game. He’s going to have to learn how to have nights where he scores 12 but has 8 assists and 10 rebounds. He’s going to have to draw the defense into him and then get the ball to the right person and trust that they will make the shot. He’s also going to have to not make silly fouls which he did multiple times last year.