OK, so shiny new arena, practically new team, nearly new coach ...

How about we do this?

Stand up until the first basket is scored, them or us, then clap rhythmically while kicking our neighbor to the left in the butt until the first media time out.

After that we all get up out of our seats and run frantically through the concourses, chinese fire drill style and when someone in the band plays the slide whistle we all run towards the first seat we can find as quickly as possible.

We then proceed to do the "stomp-stomp clap" "we will we will ROCK YOU" until halftime.

During the halftime show we all stand up and clap politely as the shim-shams do their shim sham shuffle at midcourt, then everyone goes back out into the concourse to get a weiner and a Haymaker Burger.  After gorging on meat and meat byproducts, we all walk achingly back to our original seats to prepare for the second half.

We once again stand until the first basket is scored (but this time with our backs to the court), then sit down and take a nap to digest some of the meat product until the under 12 media timeout.

One more segment of hoops action to go, where we tap dance, juggle oranges and sing the "Catalina Magdelena Lupensteiner Wallabeiner" song.

Finally, either at the under 8 or under 4 (your choice) timeout, you get up , stretch, put on your coat and shuffle out the door...to beat traffic.

Well, if the crowd was committed to making noise during each defensive series while standing until we score, we'd at least get some noise factor going. 

But one of the problems with standing until the other team scores was that it didn't really make any difference.  Either way, you're standing quietly until one team or the other scores.  And both teams will probably have scored at least once within the first couple of minutes so it just seemed like an arbitrary and unnecessary change.  Stand till we score or stand till they score.  Not sure it matters which so stick with the one we've been doing.

The idea would be to be loud and make a difference while we are playing defense while standing until they score.  Seems much more logical to me to be loud and disruptive while we are on defense, especially if there is a purpose.  But obviously there is something I am missing. 

The problem is that the crowd's apparent understanding of the requirements of the tradition is to simply stand till the first basket is scored.  Not to stand and make noise until the first basket is scored.  So, when Collier changed it, people did the same thing they always did -- stand quietly and wait for a basket.  The only thing that changed was which team had to score before they could quietly sit back down.

I don't think it matters so much whose basket we're waiting for.  What matters is that the crowd needs to make noise.

There are four periods where some noise, I think, would be particularly beneficial and that would be the first and last five minutes of each half.  Those are the periods the coaches always talk about mattering when it comes to making runs or holding off the other team's runs.

What if after the opposing team calls a time out and maybe the last media time out, the whole student section on the floor rushes over to the corner around the visitors bench and just yells directly at their huddle and makes as much noise and not leave anybody the student section behind the husker bench empty.

Jadler, I am no techy so I am not sure how this might work, but could you video the chants and use the "UNL facebook" or twitter or the Vine or something to send it to all the students, or at least all the student ticket holders.  I don't know how you get all their account information, or whether UNL would give you their email addresses, etc.  But my point is that if they could watch a video of the cheer/chant ahead of time, it would allow them to know what is going on and how it should go ahead of time.  You could also give instruction as to when to use what cheer (ie, "Got it" after a 3 pointer, UGLY during a freethrow, a certain chant during the first media timeout, that type of thing.)

Just a thought.

Ok, while this idea is great we're afraid to go down this path. There are two reasons we're afraid of this.

1. We don't want to end up with something insanely cheesy. 

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A-05wPlQQ4

2. We don't want to be anything like Taking Back Gameday. I won't post on here why but if you have any idea what they were you'll understand.

This is one of my favorite youtube videos. 

Jadler, there are obviously certain game situations where the crowd needs some go-to kind of chant or cheer.  I don't know if you have any kind of list.   In other words, if this is the situation, then here's what we do.

Maybe they won't let you do it, but I'd like to see some sort of planned method of razzing the officials for a blown call.  You guys have anything for that?

Basically, I'm in a wait and see formation. If we have the same security as close as they normally are to us we can't do anything to officials. Bullshit chants get us tossed. So for now, it's wait and see. 

Also, confetti is going to walk a thin line. If you noticed our confetti could get blown across our sections by the A/C inside at the Bob. If we have that same problem at the Pinnacle the confetti from the bench seats will blow right over the court. I'm think of bringing a bunch of paper to that first open practice and testing it out with a bunch of people in the bench seats.

That's too bad, Jadler, because riding refs is at least part of what gets you home town calls.  And, come to think of it, the Bob was never a place where we got the home town calls and maybe that's because they would toss the students who would ride the refs.  

If so, that's pretty short sighted.  Tossing students for razzing the refs can lead to a lack of homer calls.  Lack of homer calls can lead to home court losses.   And home court losses can lead to coaches getting fired.  Coaches getting fired can lead to a downward cycle of fielding less than mediocre teams over a period of years.

Don't field less than mediocre teams over a period of years.  Let the students razz the refs.

How about we do this?

Stand up until the first basket is scored, them or us, then clap rhythmically while kicking our neighbor to the left in the butt until the first media time out.

After that we all get up out of our seats and run frantically through the concourses, chinese fire drill style and when someone in the band plays the slide whistle we all run towards the first seat we can find as quickly as possible.

We then proceed to do the "stomp-stomp clap" "we will we will ROCK YOU" until halftime.

During the halftime show we all stand up and clap politely as the shim-shams do their shim sham shuffle at midcourt, then everyone goes back out into the concourse to get a weiner and a Haymaker Burger.  After gorging on meat and meat byproducts, we all walk achingly back to our original seats to prepare for the second half.

We once again stand until the first basket is scored (but this time with our backs to the court), then sit down and take a nap to digest some of the meat product until the under 12 media timeout.

One more segment of hoops action to go, where we tap dance, juggle oranges and sing the "Catalina Magdelena Lupensteiner Wallabeiner" song.

Finally, either at the under 8 or under 4 (your choice) timeout, you get up , stretch, put on your coat and shuffle out the door...to beat traffic.

I want this because my wife is going to start coming to games this year and I will make her sit on my left.

BBBBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. :o

OK, I have another idea.  Whenever the other team commits a shot clock violation, sing a brief rendition of Sweet Brown's "Nobody Got Time for That."

Sing it twice through:

Ain't nobody got time for that

Nobody got time, nobody got time

Nobody got time, nobody got time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFEoMO0pc7k

In order to create the illusion of movement in the crowd (which certainly helps trying to distract free throw shooters) we need to have little red and white pom poms on sticks.

They sell them here http://www.gamedaypoms.com/rooter-handle-poms?gclid=CKz4hrWQobkCFeoWMgodRnoATQ&ef_id=Uh5xcwAAAR-BqQuQ:20130828215355:s for 69 cents.  Maybe the University could by a ton and then sell them for a buck each.  And just GIVE THEM to the students.  And to the fans behind the opposite basket.

• 2 weeks later...

AD can solve most of this. Do you go for the maximum buck per seat or do you sacrifice and spend on student accommodation and experience, creating a basketball-affectionate culture on campus? So far, the AD's office has chosen profit maximization at virtually every turn. Unless and until that changes, the environment at games is unlikely to change.

Get rid of donor requirements entirely for basketball outside of the suites. Make each game an event for students--easy access to the arena (dorm shuttles), lots of fun things to do before and after the game, and make absolutely sure they get the most effective seats in the house. Cubs fans know this really well: if the experience itself is fun and an event, then winning becomes less important of a catalyst to creating the home court of one's dreams.

Traditions will eventually emerge if hoops games become student-centric, like football used to be back in the day. But if this remains an accounting exercise, don't hold our breath for any major changes in the environment.

TCP, I agree with doing everything possible to make the Arena "student-centric", but to get rid of donor requirements entirely outside of the suites seems a bit extreme.  How would you fund the programs?  For many boosters, there has to be incentive to give the higher amounts.  Donations would decline significantly.  Perhaps attendance would also.  If I can't buy better seats (because I choose to spend my hard-earned $$ that way), I'm staying home rather than sit in the Norm Rafters.  I'd like to allocate a lot of great seats for students--but that still leaves a lot of Arena to allocate among fans who are willing to contribute.

There should be a "time clock" everyone punches upon entering or leaving the PBA.

Those fans with the most accumulated hours earn points, and those points go towards seat priority. If students camp out, they punch the clock any time they're in line (skip class, get more points). Something like this could easily be set up with some kind of GPS check-in/check-out system and your cell phone. You enter the building (with your phone) and you're automatically "checked-in" and earning priority points.

The diehards with the most points get to choose from the best seats. Which results in more passionate, noisy fans making a difference where it counts the most.

Heck, if someone has a good idea for a Husker chant we can put that on the back of these shirts.  How about a drawn out monotone "CAN...YOU...FEEL....IT" for when we know we have a game won....ala Rock Chalk.

How often do "we know we have a game won"? It's a pretty regular occurrence for KU. And if we did something similar, it'd be pretty obvious where the idea came from.

On a different, but similar, note... quick survey... am I the only Husker fan that absolutely does not like that "Can You Feel It" song? Holy crap that thing is terrible. I think our whole pregame football music selection is embarrassing. We play songs that are three decades-plus old. And, in the case of Sirius, was stolen from the Chicago Bulls. I'm really perplexed by the Jackson 5 song though. How does that pump anyone up? A disco song?

Ugh.

Plus, Stevie P was the guy that came up with Sirius for the tunnel walk (he was Dir of FB Ops at the time I believe). And I'm pretty sure it was during his regime as AD that the "Can You Feel It"... uhhh... thing... came about. Personally, I'd like to just erase all of it.

Dimes hit the nail on the head. One of our jobs is to troll the opposing team. We don't spend hours in class Twitter stalking players and making information sheets for no reason. We also have discussed mixing up our noise this year and using less white-noise (OOOOOOOOOOOO) and more chants.

I know there was talk about this last season, but did you guys ever do the "Ball Don't Lie" yell after missed free throws?

tumblr_megz1ca7W81qzfmdho1_400.gif

Giant heads of things you would never expect, signs that make you bust out laughing, essentially, things that you can't ignore.

Big heads...

teen-wolf-teen-wolf-too-double-feature-2

sduw04.jpg

205736_512x288_generated.jpg

Chris-Bosh-champagne-facial.jpg

tumblr_lxv52aiZyR1r68tuho1_400.jpg

forever_alone.jpg

It's been a running joke/bet for years. We'd all take a guess on how many tickets would be unclaimed by the time Conference games started. I won the 2011-2012 bet. I would love to see them oversell by 250-500 and the students that show up early get in. If you don't you're SOL.

C'mon man. You should be putting a foot in these kids' asses.

I enjoyed Happy Trails when someone fouled out

Three blind mice when the refs suck. ( can't do that anymore)

And the were going to beat the hell out of you song.

All involved band and crowd

Anyone remember those days? Once against Okie State I believe the refs said something to the band about playing three blind mice. One of the loudest chants I ever heard in the Devaney ensued of three blind mice.

It will be easier to organize consistent free-throw distractions for half a game now that we only control one hoop. [...] We need to set up a way to seat people who know what to do or we can relay hand signals.(For the final year in the Bob we were thinking of using an Oregon style play call sign to announce chants between East and West sides.

Why not just communicate via cell/text message? Or those 2-way radios?

They need to understand when they should just let us be noisy and maybe pump in "Be Faithful" or "Let me Clear my Throat" towards the end of the timeout.

More "Jock Jams" suggestions...

Jadler, if you do get to meet with the band director, could you ask him to GET SOME NEW F***ING CHARTS?

I'd love to see them play some stuff from this millennium. I won't even request that they learn anything all that new. I'd settle for something from 2002. Hell, if these 15 yr olds can do it...

On a different, but similar, note... quick survey... am I the only Husker fan that absolutely does not like that "Can You Feel It" song? Holy crap that thing is terrible. I think our whole pregame football music selection is embarrassing. 

My personal favorite "Husker" music.

Different strokes.

AD can solve most of this. Do you go for the maximum buck per seat or do you sacrifice and spend on student accommodation and experience, creating a basketball-affectionate culture on campus? So far, the AD's office has chosen profit maximization at virtually every turn. Unless and until that changes, the environment at games is unlikely to change.

Get rid of donor requirements entirely for basketball outside of the suites. Make each game an event for students--easy access to the arena (dorm shuttles), lots of fun things to do before and after the game, and make absolutely sure they get the most effective seats in the house. Cubs fans know this really well: if the experience itself is fun and an event, then winning becomes less important of a catalyst to creating the home court of one's dreams.

Traditions will eventually emerge if hoops games become student-centric, like football used to be back in the day. But if this remains an accounting exercise, don't hold our breath for any major changes in the environment.

TCP, I agree with doing everything possible to make the Arena "student-centric", but to get rid of donor requirements entirely outside of the suites seems a bit extreme.  How would you fund the programs?  For many boosters, there has to be incentive to give the higher amounts.  Donations would decline significantly.  Perhaps attendance would also.  If I can't buy better seats (because I choose to spend my hard-earned $$ that way), I'm staying home rather than sit in the Norm Rafters.  I'd like to allocate a lot of great seats for students--but that still leaves a lot of Arena to allocate among fans who are willing to contribute.

There should be a "time clock" everyone punches upon entering or leaving the PBA.

Those fans with the most accumulated hours earn points, and those points go towards seat priority. If students camp out, they punch the clock any time they're in line (skip class, get more points). Something like this could easily be set up with some kind of GPS check-in/check-out system and your cell phone. You enter the building (with your phone) and you're automatically "checked-in" and earning priority points.

The diehards with the most points get to choose from the best seats. Which results in more passionate, noisy fans making a difference where it counts the most.

I think that's a great idea.  Friend of mine is a season ticket holder for an NBA team and they have promotions where they keep track of attendance and give extra game seats in the luxury seats to fans who have great attendance.  Every time you go to the game, they scan your ticket and their computers keep track of whose tickets have been scanned so you can't go out and give the ticket to someone else and have them come in without paying.  So, they know how many of the games your tickets have been used.  This is something they could keep track of and reward those fans who've been the most loyal.  I think that's a great idea.

As to what to do when someone fouls out, I've given Jadler an idea privately that I thought had a lot of merit.  Don't know if he'll be able to use it or not, but hopefully, it gives him something to work with.

We actually have used BALL DON'T LIE!! One of my favorites.

Cell phone reception blows in arenas/stadiums. With the free wifi at the Pinnacle we should be able to set up a facebook message group and maintain communication. (I don't want to see any screenshots off ESPN of me on my phone giving me shit.)

We wouldn't be able to hear two way radios. 

Cell phone reception blows in arenas/stadiums.

Arena to get better cellphone reception with antenna system

How about putting phones to use in other ways though? Everyone has one (I imagine this is especially true for the student section). Surely there's something that can be done to create a free throw distraction using cell phones. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm convinced there's a psychological reaction anytime certain sounds come out of my phone. The same can be said of when I hear someone else's phone in public. "Is that my phone?" "How annoying. Turn that s##t off!" So what if everyone played their ringtone (as loud as possible) as the player is about to take his free throws? Certainly 500+ ringtones could make some noise.. and maybe cause dude to lose focus for a second and think about his own phone (caused by his unhealthy attachment to it).

It's also annoying when people have loud conversations on their phone in public. So everyone could take out their cell and act like their having a really loud conversation with their moms. "Mom! Stop calling me! Yes, I'll be home for Christmas! I gotta go!!" Or everyone could play the same song from their phone. There's no way to get everyone in sych, but it would probably be discernible as to what song it was (something funny/distracting, obviously) and create plenty of noise. Maybe just play "Don't Drop That Thun Thun" or "WOP" and everybody break into a twerk session. Also, everyone's phone probably has a camera. Take a picture, using the flash. 500+ flashes going off in his face at the same time might suck a little bit.

These are probably all unethical/unfair, which is probably why they don't allow stuff like airhorns, megaphones, and other noise-making/amplifying devices. But what are they going to do? Confiscate hundreds of phones?