Berke is N!

I tuned in for a couple minutes at the end of the third quarter.

The first thing I saw was Berke backing his defender down and getting a dunk.

Then, a little while later, he got a steal on the other end.

Then, it looked like he was injured a little.  He went out of the game for the last minute or so of the third quarter, and Spain went on a run--from down three to up by three in Berke's absence.

Offensively I think Berke will slide right in.  As part of the offense they run for the national team he's already setting up in the corner and rotation to proper slots on the 3.  His scoring ability in the paint should work at the college level.

His rebounding can be frustrating as while he compiles good numbers in these games there are balls you see that he should snag that he doesn't.  Defensively he can get lost.  He's passionate yet in control so it feels like defensively we can get him up to speed with our system.  Not sure he'll ever be a great rebounder though.

Unless some upsets occur, I think Turkey will finish 3rd in their group and their likely opponent will be Lithuania, a solid squad for sure.  If they could have pulled out that first game they would have likely played Iceland.

43 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

I tuned in for a couple minutes at the end of the third quarter.

The first thing I saw was Berke backing his defender down and getting a dunk.

Then, a little while later, he got a steal on the other end.

Then, it looked like he was injured a little.  He went out of the game for the last minute or so of the third quarter, and Spain went on a run--from down three to up by three in Berke's absence.

He was definitely gimpy in the 4th quarter unfortunately.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Offensively I think Berke will slide right in.  As part of the offense they run for the national team he's already setting up in the corner and rotation to proper slots on the 3.  His scoring ability in the paint should work at the college level.

His rebounding can be frustrating as while he compiles good numbers in these games there are balls you see that he should snag that he doesn't.  Defensively he can get lost.  He's passionate yet in control so it feels like defensively we can get him up to speed with our system.  Not sure he'll ever be a great rebounder though.

I thought the defensive intensity for Turkey's entire team was not at the level that was needed to defeat the Spaniards.

Posted (edited)

Berke probably going to have to put forth a bit more effort on the D end when he gets here.  Specifically helping off his man when needed.

Turkey’s guards seem not great and have struggled distributing the ball.  Very much a “take my shot when I have the ball” feeling.

Edited by hskr4life

30 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Berke probably going to have to put forth a bit more effort on the D end when he gets here.  Specifically helping off his man when needed.

Turkey’s guards seem not great and have struggled distributing the ball.  Very much a “take my shot when I have the ball” feeling.

Definitely agree he needs more intensity on defense/rebounding after watching the last couple games. Instincts seem pretty good.

He has to hate playing with those guards (on both ends). They don’t move the ball at all, then take crap shots. They should hav run things thru him, he made the right pass most every time. He should fit in well on the offensive end.

When you arrive in Lincoln, there are are a few important rules...

1) If you don't defend, you sit.

2) If you don't hustle, you sit.

3) If you forget the fundamentals, you sit.

4) Learn to share the ball, or you sit.

5) Make your open looks, or you sit.

Quality depth allows you to earn quality time.  Simple.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Those Lithuania forwards are no joke, most of them are high level D-1 college guys. Berke's a smart kid who makes good basketball plays but he looked soft having to battle inside and it looked like Murauskas got in his head to start the game. He lost faith is his outside shot after gator-arming a couple of mid-range balls to start the game...didn't attempt an outside shot.

I think he's a rotation guy but he's more of a guy who's going to have ups and downs then he's a guy that going to come in a jump to the NBA after a year. I'd agree with the above comments that our offense will probably fit Berke more than what Turkey runs.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

When you arrive in Lincoln, there are are a few important rules...

1) If you don't defend, you sit.

2) If you don't hustle, you sit.

3) If you forget the fundamentals, you sit.

4) Learn to share the ball, or you sit.

5) Make your open looks, or you sit.

Quality depth allows you to earn quality time.  Simple.

You forgot:

1. Lord loves a working man

2 Don't trust Whitey 

3. And if you catch something, see a doctor and get rid of it 

2 hours ago, Swan88 said:

The only disappointment I've had in watching a few minutes, here and there, of Berke's games is this: he's no Josiah Allick when it comes to going after loose balls. 

Good thing we have Allick here coaching then 😁 Teach this boy all about 4 wheelers and flamethrowers!

4 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

Definitely agree he needs more intensity on defense/rebounding after watching the last couple games. Instincts seem pretty good.

He has to hate playing with those guards (on both ends). They don’t move the ball at all, then take crap shots. They should hav run things thru him, he made the right pass most every time. He should fit in well on the offensive end.

Agree-- I was pleasantly surprised on his shot to pass ratio!  I thought he made very good decisions, but unfortunately his teammates did not.

5 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

This was the sentiment from UCLA fans when we signed him.  He's tentative on the defensive end.  Didn't fit in with Cronin's philosophy at all.  We'll see if it works out here for him.

Berke looked better against this smaller Israel team, going for 19-7 including 5-5 from 3. I'm writing this with 3 mintues to go in the game as Turkey is down so badly that Berke is done for the day. I didn't watch a ton of this one so i'm not sure how much to attribute to Turkey's soft defense and how much to attribute to Israel shooting lights out

On 7/17/2024 at 4:04 PM, hhcmatt said:

Those Lithuania forwards are no joke, most of them are high level D-1 college guys. Berke's a smart kid who makes good basketball plays but he looked soft having to battle inside and it looked like Murauskas got in his head to start the game. He lost faith is his outside shot after gator-arming a couple of mid-range balls to start the game...didn't attempt an outside shot.

I think he's a rotation guy but he's more of a guy who's going to have ups and downs then he's a guy that going to come in a jump to the NBA after a year. I'd agree with the above comments that our offense will probably fit Berke more than what Turkey runs.

A more polished, bigger Christian Standhardinger?!?!?!