Caitlin Clark

Did not get to watch the game. With all the money being spent on her games that is a lot of pressure on her to perform. Suspect she will need a few games to adjust. Part of our success was using a tall guard on Clark and there are plenty teams the can do the same. Her defense may come in a few years. She is there for her shooting and passing at this point. One interesting point is I have a friend who really only watches football and MBB be it college or pros. Pays a little attention to NE VB but WBB he rarely watches. As a WBB fan he asks me my thoughts on the game(s)/teams. Also not a Iowa by any means but said to me even with Clark playing for Iowa she is must see TV. So Clark has drawn in eyes who may have not cared before. 

While I find the WNBA hard to watch for which reasons I will not go into here (I have tried several times and the play of the league has problems). That said I would have thought the league would have tried to capitalize on Clark's popularity  considering the amount of money being spent. Strike while the iron is hot. If she has a rough year and she may very well then all this hoopla will go to waste and they still will be a league funded by the NBA  and will be in the RED.

It's kind of like a lot of pro sports where the young phenom (and might have a a $28 mil shoe contract)...comes in and isn't given by some, much respect from some older players. Some of it's plain old jealousy because of $$. And some grief she gets is simply welcome to the league. 

Clark will have to pay the price so to speak, since she's probably not going to get many breaks for a while.  She'll be fine, just has to survive the mini war's.

Like someone else said....  i watched a couple other WNBA games a couple of weeks ago, was a bit surprise at the low skill level of some of the players. Some shooting looked like college level, at best. And weak on the defensive side.

Maybe when they get to their playoffs it all changes. Don't know ...haven't watched it much.

Well we know Iowa did not play much defense during the Clark years. I did get to watch a little last night and at the end she was subbed out for defense. What I have watched, Clark picked up a couple of fouls on minor touches from her. Last night I saw her get fouled a couple of times and nothing was called to the point of her getting a "T" from the lack of a call. Part of my problem with watching them play is as some have stated, poor shooting, and some of them are veterans of the league. Also and this goes for the WNBA and the NCAA too much reaching. I wonder if some was ever taught to move their feet when playing defense? Some players get fouled multiple times and no calls, or you slightly touch them and it makes no impact on a play/shot and they call a foul. Clark is paying her dues to be a part of that league. 

41 minutes ago, All About the Corn said:

Well we know Iowa did not play much defense during the Clark years. I did get to watch a little last night and at the end she was subbed out for defense. What I have watched, Clark picked up a couple of fouls on minor touches from her. Last night I saw her get fouled a couple of times and nothing was called to the point of her getting a "T" from the lack of a call. Part of my problem with watching them play is as some have stated, poor shooting, and some of them are veterans of the league. Also and this goes for the WNBA and the NCAA too much reaching. I wonder if some was ever taught to move their feet when playing defense? Some players get fouled multiple times and no calls, or you slightly touch them and it makes no impact on a play/shot and they call a foul. Clark is paying her dues to be a part of that league. 

She has to get better control of her emotions as well.  I believe Indiana was ahead when she fouled the Connecticut player and then picked up the T.  That was seriously costly.

One observation is that she is playing as if the weight of the WNBA is on her shoulders.  All the while she is despised by half the league while the other half is jealous. 

I will make one comparison; when Tiger turned pro, he had similar reactions from other pros.  Due in part to his race, while also maintaining a rather brazen attitude.  However, many of his adversaries soon learned that his presence put major dollars in their pockets, and many of the enemies became friendlier and much more welcoming.  

Clark is a positive for that league.  The league administration understands that; but will the players understand that Clark could bring them major $$$?