Culture. Fit.

Stealing this title that Norm provided in one of his recent takes.  I thought it could use space for an interesting discussion.

We have heard about how we started to change the culture last year and broke out this season, in part, due to this evolution.  We also know from the recent past, that skill and talent isn't the only requirement in building a team.  Pieces must fit together so the team is cohesive and are all moving the same direction. 

Talk, talk, talk; but what is the magic formula?  How come some players get it, and others do not?  Certainly there must be traits that you have to look for and recruit towards, right?  There are well over a thousand basketball players currently in the portal.  We fans are like kids in a candy store, yelling out to our mama's, I want that one, and that one.

How do the coaches choose the multiple players we need?  Can we give psychological profile tests to the players?  Do they meet the entire team on their visits?  Thoughts, knowledge, answers, more questions?

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Stealing this title that Norm provided in one of his recent takes.  I thought it could use space for an interesting discussion.

We have heard about how we started to change the culture last year and broke out this season, in part, due to this evolution.  We also know from the recent past, that skill and talent isn't the only requirement in building a team.  Pieces must fit together so the team is cohesive and are all moving the same direction. 

Talk, talk, talk; but what is the magic formula?  How come some players get it, and others do not?  Certainly there must be traits that you have to look for and recruit towards, right?  There are well over a thousand basketball players currently in the portal.  We fans are like kids in a candy store, yelling out to our mama's, I want that one, and that one.

How do the coaches choose the multiple players we need?  Can we give psychological profile tests to the players?  Do they meet the entire team on their visits?  Thoughts, knowledge, answers, more questions?

Look at the poster on the wall in the background.

3 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Can I just say how blown away (in a good way) that at a P5, men's athletics program - that one of our culture values is "Be Kind"? 

The Illinois basketball program apparently does not espouse the kindness value—based on the head coach’s occasional harsh demeanor. 

2 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

The Illinois basketball program apparently does not espouse the kindness value—based on the head coach’s occasional harsh demeanor. 

That dye creeps in through the scalp. He’s basically huffing paint all day everyday. What do you expect?

7 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Can I just say how blown away (in a good way) that at a P5, men's athletics program - that one of our culture values is "Be Kind"? 

Call me soft, I really don't care. 

Nowhere close to soft. Kindness rivals few, if any, other characteristics a human being can possess. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

6 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Call me soft, I really don't care. 

my first impression as well. i think it's wonderful. besides, they only have to do it for a few years before the reality of American life will turn them al into selfish a-holes anyway.