IOWA GAME DAY THREAD

12dozen

45 minutes ago, caveman said:

We try to throw in from too far out.  If we don't have some serious mustard on the pass we have to close the gap.  That's why dribble penetration matters.  

Understand that. We don’t and it leads to multiple turnovers, especially against the good teams.

Don't want to get started on the substitution thing. It's kind of a worn out subject....but it's part of our issues today.

Shelly played pretty well I thought. It was like this may be her last shot at Iowa.

She got back into productive scoring mode.... if you go back and watch the game over....she was pretty focused on defending Clark. Tough but respectful competition against Clark.

We were actually pretty focused and played tough and hard. Clark won it for them in the second half. 

Same old story, we could have won without Clark on the other side. She did what she's supposed to do. Pretty much nobody can stop her.

Got some better scoring from the guard positions...not great....but enough to look a bit better. 

Overall shooting percentages were sub par, compared to where we need to be.

Coach.... put your scorers on the floor...and use them the right way. You win games that way.

Lots of other stuff....but this ones over, and on to the next one.

Edited by redsteve

1 hour ago, caveman said:

We try to throw in from too far out.  If we don't have some serious mustard on the pass we have to close the gap.  That's why dribble penetration matters.  

Clark gave a great demonstration of driving and dishing to cutting teammates all afternoon. 

18 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:
19 hours ago, colhusker said:

Refs are swamp a$$ right now

Easy on the ref's over on this side. You will be told that they did a good job. REF'S SUCK ASS!!! 

Yes, I am going to stand up for the refs once again.  I know that the number of fouls called will never tell the whole story, but it's worth pointing out that fouls today were evenly divided between the teams.  The chief reason that that statistic can be misleading is because it ignores the possibility that one team was more physical/aggressive than the other.  I did not see that today.  But, wondering if bad reffing is just escaping my perception, I watched the entire game again and replayed every call - every single call - that seemed in any way questionable.  There were four or five that could be questioned but those were evenly divided, and IMO, Iowa has a better case for complaining than do the Huskers.  Some fouls occurred in an area not on the TV screen at the time so none of us can comment on those.  

Often on here there are "bottom line" statements that the refs did a poor job, but seldom are these assessments supported by any specific examples.  For today's game, if anyone has examples of particular calls that seem wrong, feel free to identify them and I will look again.  

I have seen every game this year and cannot recall any whose outcome seemed to have been the result of bad officiating. 

Edited by Tom Jones
typo

2 hours ago, caveman said:

Potts shoots around 70% inside the paint.  Why are we wasting her talent going 1 for 5 at the three point line?  I think that's the better question.

I detest our mentality that the 3 point line is the only thing that matters.

That seems to be the hallmark of Amy Williams’ teams - live by the 3, die by the 3. 

16 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

Yes, I am going to stand up for the refs once again.  I know that the number of fouls called will never tell the whole story, but it's worth pointing out that fouls today were evenly divided between the teams.  The chief reason that that statistic can be misleading is because it ignores the possibility that one team was more physical/aggressive than the other.  I did not see that today.  But, wondering if bad reffing is just escaping my perception, I watched the entire game again and replayed every call - every single call - that seemed in any way questionable.  There were four or five that could be questioned but those were evenly divided, and IMO, Iowa has a better case for complaining than do the Huskers.  Some fouls occurred in an area not on the TV screen at the time so none of us can comment on those.  

Often on here there are "bottom line" statements that the refs did a poor job, but seldom are these assessments supported by any specific examples.  For today's game, if anyone has examples of particular calls that seem wrong, feel free to identify them and I will look again.  

I have seen every game this year and cannot recall any whose outcome seemed to have been the result of bad officiating. 

They missed calls both ways and am in no way stating that is why we lost. But they missed or decided to not call several things early.  Hard for the players to know what will or will not be called, outside of traveling which is a no call all day every day.

One that sticks out was Markowski going up and the shorter Iowa girl getting arm and the official signals block. Clark cleared out with her elbow and gets a block call.  Don't remember which player for us it was but got away with a clear reach in.  Again, we didn't lose yesterday based on the officials. 

1 hour ago, 12dozen said:

Are the players being told to drive and dish?  Seems like the 'spot up' 3 is emphasized, based on what we see, game to game.

oh, surely not.  if they were, the coaches would be expressing their frustration that players are not following instruction.  I believe that the players are playing as they are coached. 

32 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

oh, surely not.  if they were, the coaches would be expressing their frustration that players are not following instruction.  I believe that the players are playing as they are coached. 

I am inclined to believe this too. But then it’s hard to believe they would continue with something that just isn’t working.  It’s pretty mind boggling. 

4 hours ago, Redhac said:

7 turnovers by Markowski does not cut it.  She needs to kick it back out more.  Need more offensive sets for Potts versus 3 point shots.  Shelley needs to drive more as does Moriarty.

Moriarity, Hake, Potts and White should all be driving, I agree, but I haven’t seen that from Shelley. For one, she can’t go to her left. Before the season started, and after Greece, I remember reading in a couple different articles that the plan was for someone to get paint touches so our shooters could get open shots. Granted, our shooters haven’t been as efficient as maybe the coaches hoped, but it just seems like they have reverted back to last year style of play where Shelley dribbles around looking for an entry pass to Markowski, and if it’s not there she will launch a step back three. I rarely see Shelly look for Potts. White’s strength are not being utilized at all, because she is known as a get downhill type of player, attack the defense, play pressure full court defense, cause disruptions, etc. But on this team it seems like her job is to dribble the ball across half court and pass it to Jaz and then go stand in the corner. Potts actually has better footwork under the basket than Markowski, but we rarely feed her inside. These are just my thoughts. None of it makes sense at all. 

Edited by Huskerfanzzz

Just finished watch the first half.  That last 1:30 was dreadful. Hake had hit a transition three and we had momentum and let it slip away.  The horrendous turnovers continue.  We cannot be difficult to prepare to defend as we do the same thing on offense.  Stop shooting threes from 5 feet outside the line by non three point shooters.  Someone posted earlier that Alexis needs to kick the ball back out better.  She needs to improve her passing.  But, it’s who we are.  I wonder if Prince realizes what she is getting into.

33 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

Just finished watch the first half.  That last 1:30 was dreadful. Hake had hit a transition three and we had momentum and let it slip away.  The horrendous turnovers continue.  We cannot be difficult to prepare to defend as we do the same thing on offense.  Stop shooting threes from 5 feet outside the line by non three point shooters.  Someone posted earlier that Alexis needs to kick the ball back out better.  She needs to improve her passing.  But, it’s who we are.  I wonder if Prince realizes what she is getting into.

From we reading all of this I have a question?  Have we won a game in conference yet?

Kind of looking at the remaining schedule for the 2nd half of the B1G season (yeah, I know that's a sketchy thing to do).  I think there are definitely "winnable" games moving forward (vs. teams that I think we match up equally to or better than).  The exceptions I would say are Iowa and at OSU.  Michigan on the road certainly will be challenging too.  If the ladies keep working hard, trying to improve and believing, maybe we could get 7 out of 9 down the stretch.  That would get us to a 12-6 conf. record, which might be good enough to finish 4th and playing on Friday in the tournament.  If nothing else I would like us to finish in the top 6 and playing a low seed on Thursday.  I think the scenarios I described are realistic.  Anything lower than a 6th place finish and I would be disappointed, considering who is on the remaining schedule.  I realize anything can happen- as the saying goes on any given day...  Maybe we win one from either Iowa or OSU too.  Always rooting for the most success possible!  GBR!!  🌽 🏀

5 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

From we reading all of this I have a question?  Have we won a game in conference yet?

Point taken.  My assessment may have been a little harsh.  We were with Iowa after a poor start.  I just think we can be better.  Hopefully a nice performance at home against Purdue can restore confidence.

5 hours ago, Huskerfanzzz said:

Moriarity, Hake, Potts and White should all be driving, I agree, but I haven’t seen that from Shelley. For one, she can’t go to her left. Before the season started, and after Greece, I remember reading in a couple different articles that the plan was for someone to get paint touches so our shooters could get open shots. Granted, our shooters haven’t been as efficient as maybe the coaches hoped, but it just seems like they have reverted back to last year style of play where Shelley dribbles around looking for an entry pass to Markowski, and if it’s not there she will launch a step back three. I rarely see Shelly look for Potts. White’s strength are not being utilized at all, because she is known as a get downhill type of player, attack the defense, play pressure full court defense, cause disruptions, etc. But on this team it seems like her job is to dribble the ball across half court and pass it to Jaz and then go stand in the corner. Potts actually has better footwork under the basket than Markowski, but we rarely feed her inside. These are just my thoughts. None of it makes sense at all. 

i agree with all of this.  I watched LSU vs Miss St and I hope our coaches have time to take a look.  Somebody is driving to the basket and either finding a shot or kicking out on almost every possession.  I know that the Huskers don't have the kind of athletes that I saw in that game, but neither are we playing against so many of them.  Seems like we could mix double or triple the drives to the hoop and just see what happens. 

10 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

i agree with all of this.  I watched LSU vs Miss St and I hope our coaches have time to take a look.  Somebody is driving to the basket and either finding a shot or kicking out on almost every possession.  I know that the Huskers don't have the kind of athletes that I saw in that game, but neither are we playing against so many of them.  Seems like we could mix double or triple the drives to the hoop and just see what happens. 

I’ve wondered what this might look like if White came in off the bench with the two Kendalls instead. The three of them can run. They just do t seem to “fit” with the style of play that Amy Williams is pushing.  Too slow. Too many threes. Maybe the three of them could be a spark off the bench? Personally, I thought we looked the best in the Michigan game when Potts, KM and White were pushing the ball and playing scrappy D. 

I think we need to remember that after two losses our comments will be more negative. Just like we are more positive when we are winning. Not every poster on this forum sees things the same way and that is OK. Do I think we could of changed up a few things and played better? Yes. As pointed out Potts was 1 of 5 from three. Do I think she should be shooting threes? No. What I would like to see is she take a few dribbles in and shoot a 16-17 footer. I think she is more than capable of hitting that shot at a better clip.  Plus then it can help when she drives to the basket. She is a good FT shooter and we should use that as much as we can. I think with a few changes we could be a top 4 seed this year. Now I hope we can be a top six seed. Below that and our chances of making the NCAA get tougher.