I’m curious. Comparing 3 squads from last 10 years

To answer the original question, if we aren’t figuring in benches it is 13-14 for me as they had very high level ability to get stops.  Operating under the assumption that you get Craig smith with that package or it changes quickly to the bottom of the list.  

No... Nope

1 - Watson

2 - Pettaway

3 - Copeland

4 - Roby

5 - Mast

6th man - Tominaga

The other 3 in the rotation

Gary

Palmer

Williams

If one of them get injured Thomas Allen would get the minutes.  I'd probably have Derrick Walker in the rotation too, but he isn't in the years you mentioned

Shields - He scored a lot of points, but I truly would not have him in the rotation if I had the players above

Pitchford - I mean when he was hot from 3 he was fun to watch, but he lacked versatility 

Rivers - Would not even be on the scholarship roster with the rest

Webster - He was very good, but extremely inconsistent.  He seemed like he'd could of done so much more.

Lawrence - Would not get a scholarship like Rivers

Edited by big red22

A little off topic, but I like to dream about the 15-16 team having Pettaway, Shields and Andrew White on the same team ( had Pettaway not left early ).  Not sure how that would have went, but wow.  The other leave early that sticks in my noggin  is Tony Farmer.  Have him on that 91-92 team and all the angst about never winning a tourney game might’ve been over.  

21 minutes ago, lang said:

The other leave early that sticks in my noggin  is Tony Farmer.  Have him on that 91-92 team and all the angst about never winning a tourney game might’ve been over.  

I don't think Farmer had the option to return.  If I remember correctly, he was the reason everyone was freaked out before the Xavier game.  

1. 2017. Just a silly talented starting five. Depth was a problem, but just talking starting five they are tops and it isn’t even a tough question. Zero true weak links among the starters (assuming the actual primary starters, not sure why Allen is listed here) and four of them were absolute studs.

2. This year. Not sure whether this crew will ultimately put it together like the 2014 team, but this starting five has the ability to play well together like the 2014 guys did and is more talented. One weak link (JLaw). 

3. 2014. Two weak links (Rivers and freshman Tai) but had three solid role players off the bench that masked this. Since we are only grading starters in this exercise, this team clearly feels like the weakest. 

Mix and match starting five:

Glynn

Keisei

Petteway

Gary

Copeland

It’s hard putting Keisei in my five when there are so many more versatile options available. But he’s the best pure shooter, and there are plenty of defenders and rebounders in this lineup. 

Edit: Gary over Roby. I forgot this was sophomore Roby, not junior Roby. He hadn’t quite figured out how good he was yet. 

Edited by aphilso1

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Why list Thomas Allen here? He got like 10 minutes per game and never started. Should be Evan Taylor. 

Evan Taylor was my guy. Loved what he was able to do for the Big Red. That's the kind of guy that Allick can be this season, I'm hoping. Not expecting a surge to the finish, but it's still out there for this NU team to still accomplish, and that's taking our team to where it's never been. Let's see what happens. Praying we can enjoy the rollercoaster ride. GBR