2023-24 Burning Questions

hhcmatt

23 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

We set the regular season record for 3 makes shooting 33.4%, which is certainly obtainable. Those 18-19 numbers were pumped up by us playing 36 games.  Assuming we keep shooting 3s like we do, I think we need to hit about 31% to break the conference record.  These records seem inevitable just by our style of play and a mediocre make rate.

I'm just saying it's better to be more efficient, that's a preference. Personally, I hope they attack the rim more, rather than settle for deep 3s. I guess it's the nature of the game to see a bunch of guys chuck up 27' shots, now if they 'make' them somewhat regularly, I'll have no major qualms. 😅

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Give me JLaw as he is only going to keep getting better and better in his PG role.

Whats the record for assists in a year?  We seem to be recording more assists this year than in years past.

Probably something to do with our shooting percentage. We're finally hitting shots. So many times in the past, the assist was lost because the guy who caught the pass missed a wide-open shot or just didn't take the shot. The passes were there, though.

51 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Probably something to do with our shooting percentage. We're finally hitting shots. So many times in the past, the assist was lost because the guy who caught the pass missed a wide-open shot or just didn't take the shot. The passes were there, though.

I'd attribute it to more passing as opposed to more shots made given our assist/basket made% is currently at an all-time high for the Hoiberg era

image.png

I'd also attribute it to us taking more 3pt shots as the vast majority of 3pt shots as the majority of our shots come with a shooter set to receive a pass.  Us making more shots and/or the home scorer tending to be more generous might account for slight increases in total volume.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

Give me JLaw as he is only going to keep getting better and better in his PG role.

Whats the record for assists in a year?  We seem to be recording more assists this year than in years past.

The record is 696 in 1991 in 34 games.  That's 20.4 per game! All of our assist records per year were between 1983 and 1986 and I'd attribute that to style.

image.png

A few things likely contributed to this and @Norm Peterson I think this is where making more shots mattered. For the Moe Iba teams, it was having Dave Hoppen from 1983-86 (and Brian Carr starting in 1984).  In 1986 two things happened:  The 3pt line was officially introduced and Danny Nee became the head coach.  Nee ran a high pass, 2pt centric offense and the 3pt line would open up more space for easier makes.  Nee's teams would often be among the top 20 for assists in the coutnry.

If we make a post season run there is a chance we can crack the top 10 just by playing 34+ games.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, Norm Peterson said:

My ten-deep:

1. Keisei

2. Mast

3. Williams

4. Lawrence/Coleman

5. CJ

6. Coleman/Lawrence

7. Gary/Allick

8. Allick/Gary

9. Rice

10. Diop

Others:

Lloyd

Keita

Ulis

Walk-ons

I think early in the season, we'll probably go ten deep. Later in the season, Hoiberg typically tightens the rotations. But, by then, Eli Rice could sneak into the top 8.

And let me go on record saying "I really like the Rice kid." Also, "I really like the Diop kid." I think those two represent the biggest recruiting steals since Shavon Shields.

So, I've been away from the board for awhile. Decided today of all days was the time to join in again with the conversations. 

So far the top 4 are:

RM, BW, JA, and JL.

JG is going to play a lot and has been a welcome site since his return. He'll play with JA and also take minutes from him.

KT is a starter. He'll likely to be 3/4 in total minutes.

SH will play 15+min/game subbing in for KT and there won't be much of a drop off. 

CJ and JC will get around 15min/game.

ER and MD are the odd men out and will see limited minutes.

HCFH has settled in on a 9 man rotation with a healthy roster. Look at the last 3 games.

I don't believe there will be many games where an individual player has 30+min.

I love love love how this team is built.

That's a 10 man rotation and I based off the games thus far I see HCFH using all 10 of them.

It's been fun watching games where we can sub in waves of players.

On 10/24/2023 at 8:40 AM, hhcmatt said:

1. How fast will the Huskers play this season?  Last year was the slowest of the HCFH era not only in terms of Adjusted Tempo but both offensively and defensively in Average Possession Length (APL).  KenPom has Nebraska at a speed in between 2021-22 and 2022-23. Where will they actually be? 

tempo.png

2. Can Nebraska remain undefeated going into December? (BTW the best start for Nebraska this century as been 6-0).  Duquesne is ranked like a low end conference opponent by KenPom 

image.png

3. Who will lead Nebraska in assists this season? (Last season it was Sam Griesel had the most but Derrick Walker averaged the most)

4. Here are the school season records for 3pt shooting. Are any of them in danger of being broken?

Made:   270, 2018-19 (800 att.)

Conference Made:   167, 2001-02 (447 att.)

Attempted:   800, 2018-19 (270 made)

Conference Attempted:   506, 2019-20 (159 made)

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547)

Conference Percentage:   .413, 1986-87 (52-126)

5. Which freshman will play the most minutes: Ramel Lloyd, Eli Rice, Matar Diop, Cale Jacobsen, or Henry Burt

6. Will Nebraska make the NCAA tournament or at least the NIT?

Where are you pulling these advanced analytics from? Would like to follow along as the season progresses. 

19 hours ago, Ron Mexico said:

Where are you pulling these advanced analytics from? Would like to follow along as the season progresses. 

#1 Possession length is the only one that isn't just a run of the mill available stat.  

Currently we're playing faster than last season offensively but overall not as fast as the first 3 years. Our defense is dragging out possessions as well which overall turns down the number of possessions per game.

On 11/24/2023 at 12:10 AM, AuroranHusker said:

I'm just saying it's better to be more efficient, that's a preference. Personally, I hope they attack the rim more, rather than settle for deep 3s. I guess it's the nature of the game to see a bunch of guys chuck up 27' shots, now if they 'make' them somewhat regularly, I'll have no major qualms. 😅

Well, I had qualms with it on Sunday against CU, 2-22. Yikes. Attack attack attack. If NU had been able to get Scheierman in foul trouble early on, it would have drastically changed the complexion of that ballgame. NU may have had a decent shot.

• 1 month later...

4. Here are the school season records for 3pt shooting. Are any of them in danger of being broken?

Made:   270, 2018-19 (800 att.)

Conference Made:   167, 2001-02 (447 att.)

Attempted:   800, 2018-19 (270 made)

Conference Attempted:   506, 2019-20 (159 made)

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547)

Conference Percentage:   .413, 1986-87 (52-126)

We are 16 games into the minimum of 32 games we will play

A check at the where we're at for the overall records in bold 

When we get halfway through conference, I'll circle back

Made:   270, 2018-19 (800 att.) 153 made - (306 pace) 

Attempted:   800, 2018-19 (270 made) - 431 attempted - (862 pace)

Percentage:   .397, 2009-10 (217-547) - 35.5%

• 2 weeks later...

3. Who will lead Nebraska in assists this season? (Last season it was Sam Griesel had the most but Derrick Walker averaged the most)

Through 19 games

Brice Williams - 51
Rienk Mast - 51
J. Lawrence - 49
Sam Hoiberg - 34

We have an outside shot to crack the Top 10 team assist list if we play a few post-season games

15 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Through 19 games

Brice Williams - 51
Rienk Mast - 51
J. Lawrence - 49
Sam Hoiberg - 34

We have an outside shot to crack the Top 10 team assist list if we play a few post-season games

And, after 20 games:

Brice 55

Rienk 55

J Law 55

Since Rienk has only played 18 games, he technically leads the team.

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

And, after 20 games:

Brice 55

Rienk 55

J Law 55

Since Rienk has only played 18 games, he technically leads the team.

Fun fact— JLaw, Bryce, Hoiberg, and CJ are the only players to play in every game so far this year.  Everyone else has either missed or been a DNP in at least 1 game.

#Depth!!!!!