Instead of Miles

colhusker

I actually think it was fair too...Dirk has been here longer than Miles. He's a Nebraska alum. He grew up with Husker sports. By his own admission, before becoming a supposedly impartial member of the media, he was a Husker fan. So it stands to reason that, while, it's not Miles' baggage, it IS Nebraska Basketball's. As much as we were around for it, so was he. So I don't really see the problem with asking about Nebraska Basketball's (former) woes at a Nebraska Basketball press conference, especially with so much on the line, in a game we historically would have pissed away. I suspect the question would have been asked, win or lose. We just got a happier answer with a win.

So then the story ends up being about Dirk since it isn't a part of Miles history with Nebraska, which is usually how these things end up when Dirk's involved.

Speaking of which, I wish I could edit the thread title to eliminate the misspelling of "Exorcist."

Norm, in order to do this, you need to go to the OP in the thread, and hit "Edit".  I think you then need to go to "More Reply Options" to get to the advanced editor, and then you should be able to change the thread title.

Thanks.  Never knew you could do that.  Awesome. 

I actually think it was fair too...Dirk has been here longer than Miles. He's a Nebraska alum. He grew up with Husker sports. By his own admission, before becoming a supposedly impartial member of the media, he was a Husker fan. So it stands to reason that, while, it's not Miles' baggage, it IS Nebraska Basketball's. As much as we were around for it, so was he. So I don't really see the problem with asking about Nebraska Basketball's (former) woes at a Nebraska Basketball press conference, especially with so much on the line, in a game we historically would have pissed away. I suspect the question would have been asked, win or lose. We just got a happier answer with a win.

Yep.  This.

Not talking about the Dirk part.  Just astonished that anyone on here would try to argue that this program hasn't endured some down years, some trials and tribulations, such that, when we win last night with what was on the line, you aren't a little bit elated particularly in the context of where we've been before we got there last night.

How's that song go?  Started at the bottom now we're here?  Why does the song bring up where "we" started if where we've been didn't matter?

I think that the main point that Coach Miles was making is that we need to get over it.  Stop feeling sorry for ourselves, and realize that there's a new sheriff in town.

Coach believes...the team believes...and now WE need to believe, too.

(which, I think that the vast majority of the fan base now does don't get me wrong, but his point was made directly at Dirk, which actually was the response Dirk was trying to elicit with his line of questioning in the first place)

I think that the main point that Coach Miles was making is that we need to get over it.  Stop feeling sorry for ourselves, and realize that there's a new sheriff in town.

(which, I think that the vast majority of the fan base now does don't get me wrong, but his point was made directly at Dirk, which actually was the response Dirk was trying to elicit with his line of questioning in the first place)

I'm not feeling sorry for myself.  I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief.  I'm experiencing feelings of euphoria and joy.  I'm appreciating this moment as only someone who's been deprived can.

Perhaps I can describe it this way.

I had to go through basic once upon a time many years ago.  It sucked.  Magnificently.  I hadn't appreciated what it was like to hang out with friends, doing what I wanted when I wanted.  I hadn't appreciated being around my family and having them close and being able to spend time with them whenever I wanted.  I hadn't appreciated a nice, comfortable bed without 50 roomates or not having to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go do some pushups and situps and run a few miles.  I hadn't appreciated a lot of creature comforts and freedoms so much as I appreciated them when I came home from basic.

But that was just basic.  Being a Husker basketball fan over the last 15 (or more) years has been like doing 3 consecutive tours in Afghanistan.  And last night was like coming home from the war.

For gawd's sake people, we can enjoy where we are without having to forget where we've been.  Where we've been ensures we don't take for granted where we are.  It makes sure we appreciate where we are.  So, don't run from the "baggage."  Don't pretend it doesn't exist.  Miles can do that because it wasn't his baggage.  But it's that baggage that makes me so fricking grateful for what happened last night.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself.  I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief.  I'm experiencing feelings of euphoria and joy.  I'm appreciating this moment as only someone who's been deprived can.

I had to go through basic once upon a time many years ago.  It sucked.  Magnificently.  I hadn't appreciated what it was like to hang out with friends, doing what I wanted when I wanted.  I hadn't appreciated being around my family and having them close and being able to spend time with them whenever I wanted.  I hadn't appreciated a nice, comfortable bed without 50 roomates or not having to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go do some pushups and situps and run a few miles.  I hadn't appreciated a lot of creature comforts and freedoms so much as I appreciated them when I came home from basic.

But that was just basic.  Being a Husker basketball fan over the last 15 (or more) years has been like doing 3 consecutive tours in Afghanistan.  And last night was like coming home from the war.

For gawd's sake people, we can enjoy where we are without having to forget where we've been.  Where we've been ensures we don't take for granted where we are.  It makes sure we appreciate where we are.  So, don't run from the "baggage."  Don't pretend it doesn't exist.  Miles can do that because it wasn't his baggage.  But it's that baggage that makes me so fricking grateful for what happened last night.

Norm, I wasn't talking about *you* per se, nor anyone else really.

I think we all feel like we just found out the light we were seeing at the end of the tunnel is actually light, and not an oncoming train, and that has provided us with a sense of euphoria...over the last week it seems, pretty much the entirety of Husker Nation has seen the light and we realize that we have something real, something tangible going on in the hoops program now, and it feels somehow different than the Danny Nee years.

This is the team we used to watch from other schools on TV in March and secretly feel jealous of.  "Why does xxx University get to experience that?  They are no different than us?" we'd say.

The wins against Indiana and Wisconsin only served to re-enforce the wins against Ohio State, MSU and Minnesota.  Years and years of "wait 'till next year" are over.  It is NOW next year.  The waiting is done.

The fact that Dirk is ignorant of the transformation our fan base has undergone and how much the general attitude has done a 180º in the past 6 weeks belies the validity of his question.  Tim Miles calmly (and eloquently, IMO) addressed the question, with the intention of putting that attitude to rest...permanently...in the Husker hoops program.

That was kind of the point I was trying to make.  It's not about one person.  It's about all of us.

I think that the main point that Coach Miles was making is that we need to get over it. Stop feeling sorry for ourselves, and realize that there's a new sheriff in town.

I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I'm breathing a huge sigh of relief. I'm experiencing feelings of euphoria and joy. I'm appreciating this moment as only someone who's been deprived can.

I had to go through basic once upon a time many years ago. It sucked. Magnificently. I hadn't appreciated what it was like to hang out with friends, doing what I wanted when I wanted. I hadn't appreciated being around my family and having them close and being able to spend time with them whenever I wanted. I hadn't appreciated a nice, comfortable bed without 50 roomates or not having to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to go do some pushups and situps and run a few miles. I hadn't appreciated a lot of creature comforts and freedoms so much as I appreciated them when I came home from basic.

But that was just basic. Being a Husker basketball fan over the last 15 (or more) years has been like doing 3 consecutive tours in Afghanistan. And last night was like coming home from the war.

For gawd's sake people, we can enjoy where we are without having to forget where we've been. Where we've been ensures we don't take for granted where we are. It makes sure we appreciate where we are. So, don't run from the "baggage." Don't pretend it doesn't exist. Miles can do that because it wasn't his baggage. But it's that baggage that makes me so fricking grateful for what happened last night.

You nailed this one, Norm.

And to show how I have no room to criticize Dirk for his question, here is my post on this board dated February 17, 2014:

"The next few games will tell the tale on whether Tim Miles has moved Nebrasketball into a new realm of success and out of the enjoy-it-for-a-short-while-before-all-hopes-are-dashed mode."

I think what Tim Miles is saying is that "baggage" doesn't define him and he doesn't want it to define his program.  Nor should it. 

But what I think another poster on another thread failed to grasp is that the "baggage" is, in fact, part of who we are.  This win last night is so much sweeter because of all the adversity we've endured.

For the love of it all. First it's demons now it's comparing being a Husker bball fan to doing 3 Afghanistan tours. The first is a lack of understanding of why the program was in the state it was. Naive, but forgivable. Comparing to war, however, is a bit offensive. War and sports analogies rarely work.

Many kids never came home from their tour.

For the love of it all. First it's demons now it's comparing being a Husker bball fan to doing 3 Afghanistan tours. The first is a lack of understanding of why the program was in the state it was. Naive, but forgivable. Comparing to war, however, is a bit offensive. War and sports analogies rarely work.

Many kids never came home from their tour.

Oh for fuck's sake.

Hey Jadler, I see you made Dirk's article today.  Way to go!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140309/HUSKERS/140319941/1001#chatelain-tim-miles-defies-the-nu-demons-ushering-huskers-into-a-new-era

If you ever make it to Hampton and have the proper ID, I'll buy you an adult beverage..... ;)

Had at least two HHCers quoted in there. Good stuff!

Hey Jadler, I see you made Dirk's article today.  Way to go!

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140309/HUSKERS/140319941/1001#chatelain-tim-miles-defies-the-nu-demons-ushering-huskers-into-a-new-era

If you ever make it to Hampton and have the proper ID, I'll buy you an adult beverage..... ;)

Ha, thanks cip. I get out your direction once every month but I've always had to be back in Lincoln fast on Sundays. Hopefully I'll get a chance to stop in for some food soon.