Michigan (12-5) vs. Nebraska (12-5) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

Not too surprised by our three point shooting numbers. They guarded the three pretty well. Also KBA went deeper in her bench than she normally does. She was not happy with her team when she called her first timeout at 12-3. Easily our most complete defensive game. You know it is a bad night for them when their best player, Phelia only scores 9 points of which 7 comes from the FT line in 33 minutes. Their slow start and our defense put them in the hole and we kept them at bay when they got close. 

10 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

And Michigan was 4-15. So it was a wash, Nebraska had 13 more shots and 20 more points in the paint.

Point taken.  However, when you combine it with the performance at Minnesota from the three point line it is cause for concern.  We need our best shooters taking threes when they have good looks.

23 hours ago, Tom Jones said:

i want to see something offensively other than 1) throwing to AM in the lane and 2) just coming across the center line, making two or three passes and then casting up a three.  That is pretty when it works but it can't be counted on working.  And when it doesn't it sets us up for getting far behind real fast. 

It's up to the head coach and offensive coach to set up plays, set up schemes, 1/2 court offenses, full court offense.  Looks like Ruhle is changing his offensive QB coach to get better production out of the offense.

Read somewhere that the Mich coach kept changing players to get a fire going under someone, because their offense was stagnant

Edited by redsteve

2 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Point taken.  However, when you combine it with the performance at Minnesota from the three point line it is cause for concern.  We need our best shooters taking threes when they have good looks.

The same could be said for Michigan's 3 pt woo's. Had the hit their open looks the game could have been different.

29 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

The same could be said for Michigan's 3 pt woo's. Had the hit their open looks the game could have been different.

I don’t disagree. I was happy to see us drive to the rim and try to score.  I did think we defended the three rather well against Michigan.

It was good to see the guards be more proactive to try to score including driving to the basket (especially Moriarty).  This effort against MN would have made a difference in likely getting a win..  The defense was good as well as the rebounding.  As usual Potts was a rock in all phases of the game.  Poor 3 point shooting is still a problem.

Our two best 3 point shooters, Hake and Nissley each only had one attempt last night. We need to get them more open looks. KM played more than Nissley but she also provided a spark. DW was 1 of 4 from deep but she has not been a good 3 pointer shooter. KM was 1-3 from deep. She appears to be a better drive to the basket player. Jaz was 1 of 4. She has been streaky, either on or not at all. 

16 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

And Michigan was 4-15. So it was a wash, Nebraska had 13 more shots and 20 more points in the paint.

:ph34r:  Adding to Bug's post,  here's something I saw elsewhere I thought interesting!

Doing the math.

The offensive rebounds gave us 13 more shots, allowing us to make 8 more shots than them (16 points), Michigan gets one 1 extra point from the three point line (15 points). Outscored them at the free throw line by 4 (19 points).

Thinking this over, which is more productive, getting more attempts from three, or successfully rebounding and more shots inside?   (Depends if you make 'em. 🙏)

1 minute ago, Red Don said:

:ph34r:  Adding to Bug's post,  here's something I saw elsewhere I thought interesting!

Thinking this over, which is more productive, getting more attempts from three, or successfully rebounding and more shots inside?   (Depends if you make 'em. 🙏)

I would rather have the shots in the paint.

4 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

The refs are always garbage every single game so we may as well quit complaining about them. It's not going to change

Just like the people that complain about Krull not being a very good player. It's not going to change the fact that she will play.